PDA

View Full Version : Moving

andrew
05-18-2010, 07:49 AM
I know I mentioned I was going to move the site a long time ago but I've got the new server now so we have to move :-)

If all goes well there will be a few hours of downtime over one of the next two weekends. If it all turns to custard then there'll be a few more hours of downtime while I scream, swear and carry on like a 4-penny feed :)

Why move? Well, the site will have its own server rather than sharing with a billion other sites which is good for speed. Secondly, I have complete control over the server so which is good for my inner geek.

Can't be exactly sure exactly when because planning ahead is a non-essential service in my head that I have switched off as it takes too many resources away from other services like eating.

Nancy
05-18-2010, 11:50 AM
Thanks Andrew for working so hard for this site and our general best interests... although I have t say, I am jealous of your location... New Zealand and Australia have always been THE place that I wanted to go.... hands down... Thanks for your work and hope that you did not lose too much hair or sleep...

andrew
05-18-2010, 07:38 PM
Thanks :-) Not much more hair to lose though, and not because of chemo :-) Australia will always welcome you should you choose to visit!!

elephant
05-18-2010, 08:12 PM
Thanks Andrew, I too dreamed of going over to Australia. Mabey one day.

Sangye
05-18-2010, 10:36 PM
Thank you Andrew! I really appreciate all the work you do to keep us connected. My gosh, what would we do? I'd be a mess without you guys.

Hang onto the little bits of hair you have left-- they help hold hats on in the winter. Like velcro. I speak from experience. :D

andrew
05-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Hang onto the little bits of hair you have left-- they help hold hats on in the winter. Like velcro. I speak from experience. :D

HAhaha too late!!! Will have to use something with a chin strap instead.

jola57
05-20-2010, 06:41 PM
Andrew, my thank yous will never stop. You have created a lifeline for the lot of us.

DEE
05-21-2010, 01:31 AM
a thank you from me to Andrew DEEx

andrew
06-27-2010, 11:28 AM
Some of you may have noticed the site was unavailable for a few hours today. I'm happy to report that this site is now at its new home. No real differences for you apart from the fact that it may be a tad faster for some. The forums are now located on their own dedicated server which probably means nothing to most but means a lot to me because I'm into that sort of thing :-)

There will be some more downtime in a week or two but that should be for a considerably shorter time (approx an hour).

andrew
06-27-2010, 11:32 AM
In addition to the above, I just got approximately 4,345,623,456,235 emails from this site including all the thread notifications. I think (at least I hope) it's because my email is actually @wegeners-granulomatosis.com.

If you have received all your email notifications again from this site then I apologise profusely. It was unexpected collateral damage and I have absolutely no idea why it happened because it hasn't happened before.

Sangye
06-27-2010, 11:52 AM
LOL-- are you serious about how many you got? I haven't received any. Thanks for the warning-- I think I'd fall over dead if I saw that. After all this time worrying about Wegs, it'd be a real disappointment to die from email shock. :D

Sangye
06-27-2010, 11:53 AM
Thanks for doing all that work, Andrew! I think mine is faster....

I just noticed when you click on Who's Online, it shows most of the threads are locked. I don't know what that means, but I don't recall seeing it before.

andrew
06-27-2010, 11:57 AM
I just noticed when you click on Who's Online, it shows most of the threads are locked. I don't know what that means, but I don't recall seeing it before.

That will clear in a few hours. It's a hangover from the old server. When I shut down the site, everything gets transferred over to the new server including the 'who's online' status that existed when the site was closed for the move.

andrew
06-27-2010, 11:58 AM
LOL-- are you serious about how many you got? I haven't received any. Thanks for the warning-- I think I'd fall over dead if I saw that. After all this time worrying about Wegs, it'd be a real disappointment to die from email shock. :D

Excellent, thanks for letting me know. I was hoping everyone wasn't getting bombarded :-)

pberggren1
06-28-2010, 08:07 AM
e-mail shock is quite serious. I know that usually 4 to 6 docs have to manage it.

Lightwarrior
06-29-2010, 03:35 AM
e-mail shock is quite serious. I know that usually 4 to 6 docs have to manage it.

ROTFL yes and we all know that mortalitiy rates increase as the number of docs on your case rise. Best to stay away from e-mail shock.

Brooke
06-29-2010, 04:08 AM
Thanks Andrew for working so hard so that we can all stay connected :)

jola57
07-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Thanks Andrew. Now a professional question, who host your server. I am looking for a hosting place for my propety management business. Any tips?

andrew
07-07-2010, 10:19 PM
Thanks Andrew. Now a professional question, who host your server. I am looking for a hosting place for my propety management business. Any tips?

I will in turn give you a professional answer :-)

Site5 (Site5 Web Hosting - The Best Support In The Industry (http://www.site5.com)) used to host us up until about a week ago. We now use WiredTree (WiredTree - Managed Dedicated Servers | Managed VPS Hosting | Fully Managed Web Hosting (http://www.wiredtree.com)). Both are equally awesome with great support. Both highly recommended. I moved the site because the new place is a tad faster but primarily it will allow me to muck with things a lot more than Site5.