PDA

View Full Version : Dying your hair during chemo?

katarzena
05-13-2010, 06:59 AM
I have 2 chemos left (1 per month) and my root is huge. What do you think about dying my hair?
I had no hair loss since I started it 4 months ago. Maybe a little, but nothing significant

DEE
05-13-2010, 07:51 AM
hi katarzena i think there is a post about hair dying somewhere amd if i remember correctly the thought was try and advoid chemical dye and maybe look towards finding a herbal one !!
i think elephant ask the question maybe she will remember the answer if you cant find the post or you could ask aproffessional hairdresser mine adviced to wait if i could
DEEx

elephant
05-13-2010, 08:26 AM
I would not dye your hair, like Dee said use herbal . If your on cytoxan, hair dye is not good. If I can remember correctly hair dye's can cause cancer.

Sangye
05-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Yes, your liver can easily get overloaded with all these drugs. Even when we stop taking them, many of them remain in the liver indefinitely. Chemo does. These drugs are incredibly toxic drugs-- please try not to add more to your body.

MCC
05-13-2010, 12:05 PM
I had my hair highlighted whilst having chemo, it didn't cross my mind not to. Actually thought I was being clever because I went to a hairdresser teaching school where they do it for free- I figured at least if it ended up falling out I wouldn't have spent a fortune! Oh well.

jola57
05-13-2010, 06:03 PM
I did not color my hair by permanent dye but did do a herbal semipermanent color. I did color my hair now while on mtx. Everything is fine, no extra hair loss. As to long term, well I think I am not going to think of that. There are so many different chemicals in the air and subsequently on my food that are far worse.

katarzena
05-13-2010, 09:06 PM
I've decided to wait till my chemo is done. I would like to try natural dies although I think it's hard to get a dark brown when you hair is natural blonde, if dying it with natural colors. I'm afraid I will turn out orange :O
Does anyone have any experiences with natural dyes?

sharon
05-13-2010, 09:16 PM
Hello Katarzena,
I did cyclophosphamide for well over 6months in tablet form everyday, i was like mandycc, it did not even occur to me not to colour what hair i had left - call me vain - my hair thinned out noticeably - I had to cut it quite short and i thought it was bad enough my hair was falling out without dealing with what was left had gray in it! I probably should have looked into it more . . never mind
Like some of the others posted - go something herbal to be on the safe side.

katarzena
05-13-2010, 10:06 PM
Thank you for your advices I will wait till my chemo is done and I will look for natural hair dyes.

elephant
05-13-2010, 10:49 PM
Katarzena, if your a natural blond....you can go darker without the orange. From what my hairstylist told me...if you have dark hair and go blond it can turn orange, that's why the bleach the dark hair. Ask a professional hair stylist first. :)
By the way, I have brown hair and I decided to do my own hair ( dye it blond) and it turned a ugly brassy orange.