PDA

View Full Version : bronchial stents

Gemma
05-05-2010, 03:55 AM
Hi my name is Gemma i have been diagnosed with wg for 3 years and have recently had a bronchial stent put into my left lung and i was wondering if any one else has had this done.

Sangye
05-05-2010, 06:17 AM
Hi Gemma, it's nice to meet you. I haven't heard of anyone having that procedure but maybe your post will help you find someone. What happened to your lung?

JanW
05-05-2010, 09:09 AM
Hmmm...I honestly don't know about bronchial stenting -- my stenosis is much farther up in my airway, by my true vocal chords, and only extends to the first couple of rings of my trachea so a pulmonologist wasn't even involved in my surgery. The only thing I know as far as stenting and WG is that stents run the risk of encouraging granulomas to grow around them (same as if a surgeon tries to remove the scar tissue through surgery -- which is why mine always leaves it inside largely undistrubed except for the slits he has to make to make it spring away from your airway.

Where are you located Gemma? I'm guessing by the name perhaps not in the US? Stenting is still popular in some countries, but I think here not so much.

Gemma
05-07-2010, 03:22 AM
The doctors discovered that the tube that leads into my left lung had collapsed and used the stent to prop it open thankyou for replying it is always good to chat to someone else with wg x

Gemma
05-07-2010, 03:27 AM
Hello Jan thankyou for replying to my question.I am located in the uk . My doctor explained to me about the granulomas growing around the stent but they felt it was the only opyion as the tube that leads into my left lung had collapsed and my breathing was becoming terrible x

Sangye
05-07-2010, 10:09 AM
Gemma, what meds are you on?