PDA

View Full Version : Hair Loss and Cytoxan

purr6
05-03-2010, 11:59 AM
I know this may sound like a cosmetic thing, but I was wondering if anyone has severe hair loss from the Cytoxan..I am losing 3 sinkfulls of hair per day...I am lucky enough to have had very thick hair, but am now wondering how long it will be before I have lost all of it. I had read that it does cause hair thinning, but now I am wondering if it will all fall out. I know that there are worse things in life, but it is something that I wasn't really prepared for.....(not that I was really every prepared for any of this).

Lightwarrior
05-03-2010, 01:09 PM
I have been on Cytoxan daily since December 14th 2009. My hair has thinned quite dramatically. Some of my nursing friends who work with chemo patients have assured me that it will grow back once I know longer have to be on Cytoxan. Check with a cancer support group or local oncologist office, even though Wegener's is not cancer these groups usually have great connections for wigs or creative ways to deal with the hair loss.

jola57
05-03-2010, 03:26 PM
I have been on cytox for year and a half. I also have thick hair and after loosing sinkfulls of hair, which was wavy, I now have curly if slightly thinner hair. Methotrexate, which is what I am on now for the past 8 months, keeps it curly too. So a very welcomed perk.

sharon
05-03-2010, 06:00 PM
Hi purr6
i was on cyclophophamide, which i think is the same drug, my hair thinned out pretty bad, my sister-in- law is a hairdresser who worked with some cancer patients. She cut my hair v short, with it messy/spiked at the back. The thinking was you see a bit of all the scalp because of the length and you don't notice the thin patches any where near the same. My hair has grown back the best it has ever been, thicker, more body, and just generally all over better hair. One of the few upsides to the treatment. I know it is pretty confronting, but you get through, I just told people it was my punk stage!

elephant
05-03-2010, 08:51 PM
I was on cytoxan over 30 years ago, lost half of my hair. It does grow back and it is very thick!
I was fifteen at the time and spent over two months in the hospital. Can't remember how long I was on Cytoxan pills...because I was not compliant. The doctors told me I would lose my hair and that I could wear pretty bows. I was not thrilled!

DEE
05-03-2010, 09:07 PM
im at the cut short stage to hide patches saves a fortune on hair cuts !! my friends daughter does mine as she did the same for her own mum when she had cancer last year ! DEEx

julia
05-04-2010, 05:01 AM
My hair got very thin. My sister sent me some money so I used it to buy a wig. I did not wear it all of the time only on certain occasions. My daughter hates the wig, my son asked me to wear it when he had banquets at school.

My hair was straight and thin to begin with. I would wear headbands and/or hats. Some people suggested I shave what was left, I said no. I know it does not look great but I am more comfortable with the little I have than with nothing.( I am sure if I had no hair I would adjust to that too. ) I added that the hairs that are left survived the meds so they get to stay.

The new hair is just about long enough to style so I will go for a haircut soon. It does seem to be thicker, I'll take it.

MCC
05-04-2010, 10:35 AM
I had IV cyclo every 2/3 weeks and I've been fortunate not to lose my hair...I haven't noticed any difference.

stikker
05-09-2010, 12:00 AM
My hair is different. Thinner and frizzier. I had thick and kind of frizzy to begin with. Now thin and redally frizzy. It doesn't grow at all. I had my usual 6 week appt sheduled and canceled it. My hair hasn't grown since much since my last appt. Leg and arm hair is also thinner. That is a bonus! I jsut hope it gets thick again. I am very glad I didn't lose it. Moon face with no hair. NICE

katarzena
05-11-2010, 06:10 AM
Is there any difference in amount of hair loss if you're on infusion or on cytoxan pills?
I've been on infusion (and still am) every for weeks and my hair loss is minimal.

elephant
05-11-2010, 07:17 AM
Pill form will cause hair loss too, not all of your hair will fall out. It thins quite a bit. I have lost half of my hair in the last two years secondary to the Wegener medicines ( cellcept, prednisone, cyclosporine, bactrim).

pberggren1
05-11-2010, 07:31 AM
Oral Cytoxan is much more effective.

DEE
05-11-2010, 02:55 PM
i take oral Cytoxan without any trouble hair very thin and does not grow to quickly and as Elephant says happened gradually , small price to pay if it makes us feel better DEE x you will still be you hair or no hair !!!!

Nancy
05-11-2010, 05:50 PM
I have taken oral cytoxan many times through the years... My hair was VERY thick and is still thick - but thinner than it was... I got a "little" excited when it started to come out in groups in the shower when I shampooed, but that slowed down... Still thick to the average person's observance... The funny thing about the hair loss/thinning - taking the bad with the good... I have never had to shave my underarms after the first few years - no hair.... : ) it has not grown back and shaving my legs takes just a few swipes... so the more time to do other things than sit in the shower or bathroom and shave....

jola57
05-13-2010, 01:09 AM
Ha Ha ha same here Nancy, and then some LOL

ArlaMo
05-13-2010, 02:35 AM
I started oral cytoxin about 6 weeks ago and definitely have hair thinning - luckily, it was pretty thick to start with. But most of the thinning is on top - looks kind of crazy with still thick hair down behind my ears. Wish my leg and pit hair would fall out!

elephant
05-13-2010, 04:34 AM
Why do these medicines make us more ...excuse me I'm using a bad work..UGLY! Glad to get that out. If were suffering why can't these medicines make us pretty ( thick shiney soft hair, less hair under the arms and legs, no moon face, just smooth skin like a baby...) ok I said enough.

ArlaMo
05-13-2010, 04:40 AM
Totally agree, elephant!! Just before I got sick, I had decided to really get in shape (after 6 kids - whew!) and had started the couch-to-5K. I was hoping to work up to a mini-triathlon with my husband. Now, I get tired walking up our stairs! My husband is doing P90X (hard core videos with weights, plyometrics, yoga, abs, etc.) and he looks awesome! Best shape of his life - and I look more like the Pillsbury doughboy's larger sister. UGH!

elephant
05-13-2010, 06:14 AM
That is funny that you mentioned couch to 5 K...I am currently trying (cough, cough) that right now. As for the P90x- all my neighbors have the video and look awesome. It really works, but I know it would be too much for me. My friend has the x90 which is suppose to be less strenuous.
I know how you feel " Pillsbury dough boy's larger sister", that's how I felt too being on 60 mg of Prednisone and continuously eating everything in the kitchen.
That all will pass, once you get this wegeners under control ( remission) and the prednisone is tapered you will feel back to normal.

DEE
05-13-2010, 07:05 AM
Hi Elephant funny you used that U word today have had few visitors today and realised all we talked about is me putting weight on me having hot sweats ! me having hair short because so thin now and yes me staying away from the kitchen too
all their replys were it does not matter as long as your ok and i know they mean it
decision do i want to go to the local ball in june answer do they make ball gowns for beachwhales
see Elephant now i feel better now ive had a moan thank you DEEx
ps loosing or thinning hair not a problem a friend of mine had chemo for cancer and she wouid tell you her hair in a good condtion now she finished her treatment

elephant
05-13-2010, 07:20 AM
Your friend is right, once we get done with the harsh stuff side effects diminish. It will get better, it's just being patient. When I was 15yrs old ( long, long time ago) I was in the hospital with kidney failure, they have my on IV prednisone and we think IV cytoxan. All I thought about was a that I was going to be a Big bowling ball ( round and hairless), it scared the crap out of me. But, I got through that and my hair did come back thick and curly. The weight came off too. :)

talentx7
06-04-2010, 04:41 AM
My son, Carter just started losing hair this morning. It seems like a lot!!! He woke up and hair was covering the back of his shirt and sticking to his neck like he had just gotten a hair cut. They did tell me it would thin, but this seems to be extreme. Does anyone no when it will stop?? He is taking the IV form of cytoxan. He had his first dose 2 weeks ago and is due for his 2nd in 2 weeks. I am wondering if it will all fall out?

MCC
06-06-2010, 09:24 AM
My son, Carter just started losing hair this morning. It seems like a lot!!! He woke up and hair was covering the back of his shirt and sticking to his neck like he had just gotten a hair cut. They did tell me it would thin, but this seems to be extreme. Does anyone no when it will stop?? He is taking the IV form of cytoxan. He had his first dose 2 weeks ago and is due for his 2nd in 2 weeks. I am wondering if it will all fall out?

I think it just seems to be different for everyone. I also had IV cyclo and it didn't make my hair fall out. I met another lady with Wegener's in the hospital who's hair didn't fall out the first time, but did the second course she had it.

If Carter's hair is noticeably thinner now, maybe he'd prefer it all shaved off?

Deanne Hull
06-10-2010, 08:01 PM
I seem to be losing hair where i don't want to lose it above and below and growing hair on my lip and the rest of my body, I seem to have grown my own fur coat. Its very funny..

Sangye
06-10-2010, 10:43 PM
That's pred..... Redistributes fat and hair growth patterns. It's good that you can find the humor in it. :)

elephant
06-11-2010, 08:02 AM
When I had my kidney transplant the medicine grew me a unibrow and all the above!

Sangye
06-11-2010, 08:15 AM
Were you on cyclosporine Elephant? I hear that's a real hair-raising drug.

elephant
06-11-2010, 08:58 AM
Sangye, I have been on cyclosporine for 21 years and still take it. It totally changed my hair color...made it darker. It also made my eye lashes longer. No fake ones for me.

Sangye
06-11-2010, 09:21 AM
LOL-- well elephants do have lovely eyelashes....

High-dose pred made my eyelashes really long, too. And they curled more, so I looked like a Disney character. It was the only thing I liked about those high doses.

jola57
06-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Ever seen the eylashes of a giraffe, beautiful

elephant
06-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Yes, I love giraffe eyelashes! Wow!

Sangye
06-12-2010, 12:16 AM
Yeah, except for the giant rolls of fat I looked just like a giraffe. :D

LisaMarie
06-29-2010, 10:27 AM
I have a plan.:..for hair loss atleast....i have thin curly hair...so since i have a trip to florida planned ....planned the trip prior to my diagnosis...my best friend's mother is a hairdresser and is going to get me 2wigs made.....and a stylish short do....I have never had short hair...so i am trying to look forward to this part of my WG adventure

elephant
06-29-2010, 01:47 PM
Good for you LIsamarie. Enjoy Florida!

Col 23
07-03-2010, 06:11 AM
what colour??
Col 23

LisaMarie
07-09-2010, 02:42 AM
what colour??
Col 23

i have blondish hair with redish highlights soo I may try black for shock factor ....never had dark hair...it might be a good change...lol or scare the you know what outta my kids....my mom dyed her hair balck when I was about 3 yrs old and when i went in to wake her up in the morning I freaked out scareaming "where is my mommy!!!"...I still remember that .....funny uhu

aewaustin
07-25-2011, 10:34 PM
I am about to start Cytoxan and since I lost my hair gradually last time I am guessing there is a good chance that will happen this time soon.. On the pill version of cytoxan how long did it take before you noticed it falling out? I don't want to be too pro-active, but as soon as it starts I want to cut it into a shorter haircut and am trying to figure out when to make the appointment for. Thanks!

Psyborg
07-26-2011, 12:14 AM
Mine only got a bit thin, never really got to the point of being super noticable. It started for me about 1 month in to the CTX script.

Rini
07-26-2011, 02:53 PM
dose this happen with Methotrexate 2? i have really thick hair and i have been inside most of the year and so when i started shedding i kinda put it off to the heat. today was really bad tho and my dad has taking to following behind me and plucking fistfuls off the back of my shirt, it is rather disconcerting. I used to have to pay to get it cut out or i would get psoriasis on my head from the heat and humidity...now i just hope it slows down. I do collect hats tho ;)

pberggren1
07-26-2011, 03:23 PM
I sure hope the hair loss stops for you Rini. It is most likely the mtx that is causing it. What does your doc think?

JanW
07-27-2011, 12:28 AM
I would guess it would be the mtx. I never had that issue at all and my hair is very thick.

DEE
07-27-2011, 01:15 AM
I had mine cut just before I statred cxt , and it didnt fall out but went very thin, came back very thick ,grey and curly. :w00t: I did not have any problem whilst on mxt .
DEE x

Michael Dean
07-27-2011, 08:01 AM
I'm on monthly cytoxan infusions, 4 down 2 to go hopefully? My hair has really thinned out and it's lost a lot of it's natural curl and it seems to have gotten grayer???
Hope it comes back when this is done, but I'm a middleaged guy so if not it's not a big deal.

Rose
07-27-2011, 10:43 PM
My natural thick, curly and healthy looking hair changed to thin, straight, and lank with no body following my initial treatment with cyclophosphamide infusions. My hairdresser gave me a tip which helped a lot and that was to shampoo hair as normal but not to put conditioner on then. Towel dry and then put about 5ml (for short hair) of your usual conditioner onto your hand. Apply to your hair and comb through. do not rinse.

aewaustin
08-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Anyone check out any of the products out there for hair loss? Not sure if they are a joke, but Nioxan keeps coming up and wonder if anyone had checked it out. For now I am just praying that I don't lose my hair like last time and am taking my hair and nail vitamins daily :) Thursday I will go to the full 125mg does of CTX, complemented with 60mg of pred. Good times...

Michael Dean
08-04-2011, 12:28 AM
Rose,
I have tried your hairdresser's tip and it seems to help, thanks. I've got another dose of Cytoxan tomorrow so I'm sure my hair will get thinner.

BrianR
08-04-2011, 02:49 AM
Anyone check out any of the products out there for hair loss? Not sure if they are a joke, but Nioxan keeps coming up and wonder if anyone had checked it out. For now I am just praying that I don't lose my hair like last time and am taking my hair and nail vitamins daily :) Thursday I will go to the full 125mg does of CTX, complemented with 60mg of pred. Good times...

Good times indeed. That made me laugh. You'll kick it fast; I know it!

Heidiz3
05-14-2013, 09:43 AM
I just started Cytoxan and on 500 mg once a month. Does anyone know what side effects there are with being on the lower dose of Cytoxan? Do you lose your hair, or does it just thin? I have however been very nauseated and been throwing up a quite a bit. I am on Zofran for that.

Dirty Don
05-14-2013, 10:18 AM
Sometimes there is hair loss...due to low doses (as opposed to cancer doses), the hair loss isn't always severe, for some not even noticeable. For my hair loss, doc tripled my dose of folic acid. Within a few weeks, the loss stopped & hair came back, albeit curly for awhile! As for nausea, doc had me take mtx dose (they have similar side effects) by halving it 12 hours apart...the nausea went away. Best of luck Heidiz.

Pete
05-14-2013, 11:29 AM
Hello Heidiz,

When taking cytoxan, it's important to keep hydrated. There are some nasty metabolates of cytoxan in the urine that can lead to urinary tract infections or bladder cancer. Keeping hydrated will allow your body to keep the nasties more diluted and minimize the chance for problems.

Good luck and better health.

Heidiz3
05-15-2013, 12:14 AM
Thank you Pete and Dirty Don for letting me know about your experiences. I am curious though if I am only getting 500mg of Cytoxan only once a month, I would most likely not lose my hair? I have already experienced the nausea and getting sick part which I did not care for. Pete I did drink a lot of water to get the toxins out of my system. I guess I am more curious about my hair situation than anything. I understand that there are other side effects, but I think with such a low dose I may not ever experience them.

Heidiz3
05-15-2013, 12:16 AM
I forgot I started my Cytoxan on May 2 and will not do my next one until May 30th. My guess is there's enough time between doses where the side effects would not take place.

Pete
05-15-2013, 01:56 AM
Hello Heidiz,

I was on oral cytoxan (dosages ranged between 100-150 mg/day) for about 16 months. I didn't notice any change in hair loss. At age 66 I guess I'm always losing some hair. I'm now taking 15 mg/week of methotrexate instead of ctx. I also take 1 mg/day of folic acid to combat hair loss (been doing this for about 10 months). My hair has gotten coarser and grayer since disease onset, but I still have most of my hair. :-)

annekat
05-15-2013, 02:38 AM
Heidiz3, I'm like Pete, was on oral CTX around 100mg/day for about a year, and now am on MTX. While on CTX, I definitely noticed some hair thinning, but I never felt in danger of losing all or most of my hair. Being in my late 50's at the time, there was already some thinning, and I don't think the difference was noticeable to others. Now that I'm off CTX, the hair is definitely growing back; I can tell by which barrettes I can use to hold it back without it falling out of the barrette. I also take folic acid with my MTX, like Don, so that may be helping. I don't remember hearing of anyone taking it with CTX, but I don't suppose it could hurt to try it and see if it improves the hair loss issue. I think with MTX we are taking it for other reasons than the hair loss, but if it helps with that, great. Folic acid is available OTC in most grocery stores, etc. I don't know how things differ when you are getting a monthly infusion of 500mg. vs a daily dose of 100mg., but I'd guess that the hair loss would be less, unless it is more all at once.

HopeinTN
05-16-2013, 06:46 AM
Good luck with yoru treatment. I've been on 100 and 150 mg daily for 17 months now and I noticed hair coming out more in the beginning. It has thinned out nicely and not as curly as it used to be. Yes, as others said, keep hydrated.

marylz
05-16-2013, 08:49 AM
I've had 3 monthly infusions now and my hair is definitely coming out every time I brush it. So sad!!! My hair is thin and straight to begin with but I'm in big time denial that it will all be gone after 3 more months. The power of positive thinking, right? It doesn't seem to be universal so maybe you won't have as much loss as me. Good luck with the hair and treatment! :thumbsup:

annekat
05-16-2013, 11:53 AM
I've had 3 monthly infusions now and my hair is definitely coming out every time I brush it. So sad!!! My hair is thin and straight to begin with but I'm in big time denial that it will all be gone after 3 more months. The power of positive thinking, right? It doesn't seem to be universal so maybe you won't have as much loss as me. Good luck with the hair and treatment! :thumbsup: I haven't heard of anyone on here losing all their hair from taking CTX. I was alarmed at first at the amount coming out, but it never amounted to anything close to total loss or even enough for people to notice. It may have been worse at first, too, as HopeinTN suggested. Good luck with your hair, Mary!

gwenllian111
05-17-2013, 05:37 AM
I had very straight hair before cytoxan, and ever since it grew back curly!

Looking back i wish i'd shaved my hair, and worn wigs instead x

annekat
05-17-2013, 06:17 AM
That's interesting, Gwen! I've heard of that with cancer patients, and with one, it grew back grey, though he wasn't that old. My hair is already pretty curly, and I haven't noticed a difference in either texture or color as it grows back.

A friend of mine has breast cancer and will probably beat it, but is in the midst of chemo and has lost all her hair. She wears wigs at the outdoor market where we both sell. But on warm days, the wigs get hot, and I've seen her just take it off and go bald! Luckily, she sells tie dyed clothing and has bandanas available that she could wear. And she's one of those people who look darn cute in just about anything. We should all be so lucky!

mishb
05-18-2013, 02:35 PM
Mine was more ringlets and now it is just mess (and curls)
It has thinned out a lot on top, though.

I have an auntie that has cancer and lost all of her hair. When it grew back it was totally white, no colour in it at all.

I think, whatever happens to our hair, there are ways and means of overcoming it.......and, some people look absolutely gorgeous without hair.

annekat
05-19-2013, 12:43 AM
I get ringlets when I first wash it, which are kind of cool. Then if I brush it later, they turn into waves and frizz. I've been struggling with it all my life, how to control it and have it look smooth, like my sisters who all have straight, silky hair. Now I feel OK about it. I guess we all go through this with our hair, wishing it was different, etc. Finding a good gel to control curls and frizz can help a lot.... I try different brands and can't say I've found the perfect one, and I usually go for bargains. I used to get one from Australia with papaya in it and a picture of a koala on the tube, but haven't seen that one for awhile! It was a good one, and not expensive.

Alysia
05-19-2013, 12:51 AM
I had loss of hair because af MTX. Im using shampoo & conditioner of Oblepiha, and I also takes multi-vitamin "roots" (for strong hair) & folic acid & avazinc. all this helps.
I dont see so much hair on my floor as it was at first.

marylz
05-19-2013, 09:20 AM
Thanks! I asked my husband today if he thought it was time to start shopping for a wig. Rather than answer a straight-forward question, he was all supportive saying : "Do you think it's time?" GRRR!!! I guess I should be grateful that he is sensitive in that way, but I wanted an answer! I later asked my 22 year old daughter and she said definitely not. I asked her if she would tell me when she thought it was time and she said of course. The bad part of that is she goes back to grad school in August. Oh well!

annekat
05-19-2013, 11:22 AM
Mary, I seriously doubt that you will need to shop for a wig. Of course that depends on your personal style, how you do your hair, etc., and maybe some extensions would be in order. I barely know what those are. But I don't think most people on here have enough of a problem with hair loss to go wig shopping. I would just go with the flow, be creative, and know that it will only be temporary.

HopeinTN
05-22-2013, 02:47 AM
Mary- was your hair short and very thin to begin with? Like others, I wasn't aware it could be bad enough for a wig with CTX at our doses. My mom had CTX for breast cancer treatment and she lost hers. I think th ehair loss is more prominent in the early stages of treatment. I know we are all different too.

Take care and good luck.

marylz
05-22-2013, 11:15 AM
Hope--
My hair is about shoulder length and very thin. Where I see "balding" beginning is at my part and the hair is so fine and thin that I can't really cover it up. I've never had my hair really short though I don't think it would work well. My hairstylist has recently undergone a double mascectomy with breast cancer and is wearing scarves and sometimes a wig so I don't really feel comfortable asking her to suggest a different hairstyle...
Also, I hate wearing hats--I think I'm scr*wed. Maybe it will stop the thinning...not much I can do but accept it:unsure:

mishb
05-22-2013, 11:23 AM
Mine is also very thin on top and noticeable at the part, but didn't go any further than that.
I have started brushing my hair with a side part and very recently, I made a comment, "I think I need to get a comb over happening".

I also hate wearing hats, but really, if it's only a more noticeable part and thin on top, then it should be fine.

drz
05-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Hope--
My hair is about shoulder length and very thin. Where I see "balding" beginning is at my part and the hair is so fine and thin that I can't really cover it up. I've never had my hair really short though I don't think it would work well. My hairstylist has recently undergone a double mascectomy with breast cancer and is wearing scarves and sometimes a wig so I don't really feel comfortable asking her to suggest a different hairstyle...
Also, I hate wearing hats--I think I'm scr*wed. Maybe it will stop the thinning...not much I can do but accept it:unsure:

I think she might be the best person to ask and also the most sensitive to your feelings.

annekat
05-22-2013, 02:17 PM
I agree with drz, although we don't know your hairstylist. She probably knows a lot about how to cut and style hair to make it look fuller. I doubt if her own situation would make her less interested in helping others in this way, and if anything, I'd think she might really enjoy the chance to show what she can do in this regard. She might also suggest some products such as gels that would help the hair have some height instead of just laying flat.

gunnyl
06-11-2013, 02:15 AM
I didn't have any severe hair loss while on Cytoxin but my hair growth slowed down substantially. Since I switched to Imuran it has taken off again and made up for lost time. As a guy I kind of miss not having to get haircuts! LOL

marylz
06-11-2013, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the responses! I did end up going to my stylist and she said not to buy a wig as she has found them very uncomfortable. She trimmed my hair and said she hopes for the best, but she wears scarves and hats. She said ,if and when I'm ready, she'll shave my head for me for free. Hopefully it won't get to that point, but she was very sweet. I did order a couple of hats today, not sure I will keep them, but I'll try and see how they look. I'm getting pretty sensitive to how thin my hair is becoming, so maybe the hats will be better than the alternative. I'll keep y'all informed.
Mary

annekat
06-12-2013, 02:43 AM
Mary, I'm glad you feel a bit more upbeat about this. Honestly, from reading this whole thread, it seems likely that your problem will not get any worse than it is now, and when the hair does grow back, it may be thicker than before! I'm imagining that is the case with me, and liking it, as I've always had thick hair and didn't like that it was already thinning as I aged. In any case, chin up, you'll get through it, and may come out the other end not only feeling better but having a glorious head of hair!

Heidiz3
06-29-2013, 01:48 PM
So I started this thread back in May wanting to find information about hair loss and Cytoxan. So my Cytoxan dosage has been up to 781 per square bodyweight (Whatever that means), My scalp has become very sensitive to even brush. Does anyone know if that would mean my hair will start thinning out more or will I just have a sensitive scalp? Also, is anyone familiar with doing high-dose Cytoxan re-boot. Can anyone tell me what other symptoms you had while taking the Cytoxan? Has anyone ever taken Rituxan, if yes what side effects did you have?

drz
06-30-2013, 08:51 AM
The side effects of both drugs are fairly well known and listed widely on drug insert or whatever info sheet the pharmacy gives you. The main concern is often reducing your WBC to make you vulnerable to infections. Cytoxan also increases your risk of bladder cancer unless you drink lots of water when taking it. Most people tolerate both fairly well but your body will let you know quickly if you can't and then you need to try another drug or reduce the dosage. All meds have side effects (that is why you take them as some we desire) so some times it is better not to know about them and just watch and see if anything new happens with you and then inquire if the change might be a side effect of the new med?

stevensy
08-23-2013, 12:15 AM
Actually, I am not new to this hair loss. Currently i've been experiencing drastic hair loss that after taking a bath then comb my hair, you could actually see a lot of hair loss in my brush that I could count on them like 50 or more strands.. I am having these thick hair but I am now worried what if this hair loss is continuous. I've heard that this somehow because of sudden weight loss. i am into diet for 7 months now and i can tell that I am really losing weight. so I think this is the reason why it happened to me but I am still worried.

gilders
09-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Not read every reply, but the ones I've read seem to match my experience.
Yes I lost most of my hair. I was silly enough to not have it cut. I was in hospital for over 6 months, so as you can imagine the hair I did have was very long which kind of made the large bald areas look even worse.
Once my hair started to grow back, it grew back quickly, a thick as before, but darker in colour and curlier.

Dirty Don
09-09-2013, 04:17 AM
Me too, I'm dark haired and I've never had a curly hair on my head in my life until after some of the chemo treatments, but docs took care of it...wife kind of liked it while while it lasted! LOL!

MikeG-2012
09-14-2013, 07:09 AM
I was on it for 6 months only and thinned out really bad. It took about six months and it did come bac in full, although now it curls when I get hot and at the end of the day, weird things happen after chemo hair loss. Hang in there!!!!

mzschaumkell
09-15-2013, 05:29 PM
My partner almost lost all his hair!!! Within the first month (mind you they did have him on a double dose for a month!!! grr) He has lost most of the hair on his legs, head and face, but not on his arms. But thats his only side effect from the cyclo, so I guess if thats it, then he is happy!!

Dirty Don
09-16-2013, 01:59 AM
I began to lose mine too...doc tripled my dose of folic acid, hair stopped falling, started growing...even came in curly for a while! OMG!