PDA

View Full Version : My Dad?

pberggren1
04-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Hi All:

I would like some input on the following situation.

On Monday evening my Dad’s right side of his face went numb for a couple of minutes and then went away. Later in the evening the right side of his face was quite sore like having a pulled muscle or something like that. It right away sounded like a stroke or heart attack or something like that. I asked Sangye about it and she said it sounded like a stroke as well and he should get it checked out right away.

Today my Dad was complaining he didn’t feel well. He said he felt fluish and achy all over especially in the neck and upper chest and legs as well.

We went to the ER and saw a doc. He told the doc the above stuff and also told him he drinks and smokes and is stressed out most of the time. He also told him he takes a Gravol tablet every night as a sleep aid and takes Advil every day as well for back pain. He also takes a herbal supplement called PROS-TAMINA Plus from a company called healthier-you.com. I took this back in 2008 and 2009 for urinary incontinence. It didn’t work. The reason my Dad started taking it was that he started having trouble urinating last fall. He went to his GP and the GP ordered the PSA test and came back positive or high and she felt his prostate and was slightly enlarged. She prescribed him Flomax. He didn’t take it and asked me about the stuff I was taking. I said it might help so he started taking it and he hasn’t had any trouble urinating since November.

I know that he doesn’t handle stress very well. Who does? He was working out of town the last few weeks with a friend of his but quit because of the stress. He said his friend is always mad and he couldn’t handle that negative attitude any more. I can relate to that. He also has a lot of stress from a family friend and my younger brother. I can attest to that as well because both of them stress me out from time to time as well.

The ER doc listened to his chest and heart and breathing. He said all sounded good. His BP was 129 over 81 with a pulse of 69. My Dad is 62 years old on July 31.

The ER doc said it didn’t sound like a stroke to him but that my Dad should learn to listen to his body with these warning signs and stop drinking and smoking and start eating healthier and start taking a small Asprin very day to minimize the risks of getting a stroke. The ER doc also said to keep his cholesterol in check as well and sent us on our way.

My Dad asked me later why he didn’t order any tests like the cholesterol one. I said he had to go to his GP for that. He said his GP wasn’t in until end of May. I asked him what else the GP said like what the numb and sore feeling in face could be. He said he didn’t listen to doctors. I got frustrated with him and said why did you go in the first place then? He said he just wanted to get a pill from him so he could continue smoking and drinking. He then said **** it and said I need a drink and maybe I’ll start drinking wine instead of whiskey. I can somewhat relate to smoking and drinking because of stress.

You guys can go to healthier-you.com to look up that herbal supplement.

Right now I am a little stressed myself with my Dad’s attitude and my parent’s health. I don’t want to lose them any time soon. They are all I have. My Mom’s health is not good either. When she goes up a flight of stairs she is out of breath.

Anyway I hope you guys can help here.

Thanks,
Phil

elephant
04-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Phil, I agree with Sangye. Sounds like a mini stroke and he is more likely to have the " big one" if he doesn't stop smoking and drinking....both increase the chance of having a stroke because they increase the blood pressure.... Smoking constricts the blood vessels. He needs to go back to his GP and get evaluated and get a MRI of his brain.

Sangye
04-22-2010, 11:41 PM
That ER doc should be fired. How irresponsible of him not to do further testing! These are classic symptoms of stroke. Phil, I feel so bad for you. It doesn't sound like your dad is going to take any of this seriously. There's probably not much you can do unless he does.

Col 23
04-23-2010, 02:54 AM
Hi Phil
All you can do is encourage your dad to eat healthy and try to moderate his habits if he is able. If he is getting alot of stress this may be difficult so he might also need to talk to a compassionate GP who can refer him to a psychologist for extra support. I also know that he may find this difficult because of his own beliefs or thoughts, his gender and his willingness. Sometimes just talking with him in a non judgemental way about some of his stress and concerns may assist him. I also agree that he needs to follow up with those medical tests but as he is use to his own GP he may want to wait, talk to him about the possible consqences of waiting and the impact on you and the family. At the end of the day you can lead a horse to water but you cant make them drink it.
Thinking of you
Col 23

Col 23
04-23-2010, 12:01 PM
Just wanted to at to this Phil as it was early in the morn when I responded. Making changes requires alot of support. The relationship with the person and motivation are the first steps in the cycle of change, then action, support and encouragement. But just as we relapse so does anyone trying to make a change. So sometimes we need to go back to the beginning. Hope this is helpful.
cheers Col 23

pberggren1
04-23-2010, 04:00 PM
Thanks Guys.

Lightwarrior
04-24-2010, 02:12 AM
See if you can get your dad into his GP sooner. Write down all the symptons and go with him, when he starts to get off track gently pull him back. i.e. Dad, don't forget to mention that you complained of facial numbness two weeks ago (don't know if this is accurate but you get the idea). Let your Dad do most of the talking, just prompt him with your list. My mom and grandma lived with me the last seven years of their lives and I had to try to walk the line between helping them to be as independent as possible and making sure the important information got passed on. They wanted me to take control since I am a nurse but I felt they would last longer if they had more control. Good luck

jola57
04-24-2010, 03:44 PM
Very sound reasoning. My Mom relies on my "expertise" whenabsolutely necessary but with an unwritten understanding she keeps regular doc appointments by herself. i get involved however when I feel it is necessary for her well being, Phil, what Lightwarrior say is right on, a very gentle way to make sure your Dad's appointment is successful