PDA

View Full Version : Bath or Shower

BARON
04-21-2010, 06:07 PM
Hi all seeking some advice looking at changing bathroom for D would fitting a jacuzzi or shower be best ?

Luce
04-21-2010, 07:05 PM
I think it would be up to Dee's personal preference and physical condition - does she have mobility problems which would prevent her climbing in/out of a bath? Or is fatigue a problem that would mean she couldn't stand up in the shower for 10-15 minutes without needing to sit down?
I've always liked the look of the walk in baths you see advertised on daytime telly, which has a seat built in usually with a shower head above so you can either sit to shower or fill as a bath after getting in. The only problem is you have to sit there until it drains again before you can open the door to get out.
Don't forget your own personal preference too as you also need to use whatever you choose!

renidrag
04-22-2010, 04:33 AM
As a plumber I would ask what you or Dee are used to. If you have the room I would put in a stand up shower with a built in seat. A good carpenter and tile man can do it. Make sure there is a hand held shower head and valve close by the seat for personal use. With a regular shower head also, it is useable for all. You may want to make sure you put backing in for grab bars. Not that you need them now but someday you may and it will also be a selling feature. Then I would get a hot tub for outdoors, with a heater and cover (sigh). Much better on the water bill and all.
Dale

BARON
04-22-2010, 06:12 AM
Hi it was more the medical side of things if a Jacuzzi was ok with the vascular side of things

elephant
04-22-2010, 07:00 AM
You might to ask your Rhuemy. Hot tubs are probably not a good idea.

Sangye
04-22-2010, 08:00 AM
When I started aquatic PT it was in a pool heated to body temp--so quite warm. It felt great, of course. But afterwards I was wiped out and all puffy--even my face. When I started using the public pool, I wasn't wiped out and didn't get puffy afterwards. BIG difference! I had lots more energy in the cooler pool, too. Wegs is an inflammatory disease, and in holistic terms we have too much "fire" element. I've even learned that a warm shower (vs nice hot one!) leaves me feeling stronger, with better energy.

When I use the public pool I sit in the jacuzzi afterwards for only 5 minutes (by the clock). That's because the long walk to the locker room is too chilly if I go directly from the pool. If I stay in the jacuzzi for longer, I feel lousy.

pberggren1
04-22-2010, 11:55 AM
That makes perfect sense to me. I feel the same way. I cant handle too much heat or too cold either. It has to be just right.

DEE
06-25-2010, 05:12 PM
just to say took all the above advice we have bought a jacuzzi bath to use in five min at a time
have shower above and shower attachment above taps put in the middle of bath for easy reach and will put in grab rail for good measure !!! all we have to wait for is hubby to have the time to fit it :) he s good at things like that but its finding the time thanks for the advice DEEx

Jack
06-25-2010, 06:09 PM
A hot bath wipes me out even though I enjoy laying in the hot water at the time, but I love my power shower (high pressure pumped system) and feel much better after. I've had a fold down seat fitted and it is one of the first things I plan to do after getting the cast removed from my leg this morning. :)

Sangye
06-25-2010, 11:23 PM
I'm SO glad that cast is coming off, Jack! Happy bending. :)

pberggren1
06-28-2010, 08:26 AM
I just had a shower before I left the hospital to come home for a while.

DEE
08-02-2010, 03:03 AM
ok guys whirpool bath now fitted middle taps and shower head to
also left overhead shower in to
so no tomatoe no coffee but i first in the bath candles yes !! champayne no
yes i will try just a few minute fist to see how i go
decided on whirlpool as hubby suffers with painful back and we thought it wold do him some good and i csan use the bath without whirlpool and shower if not
looking into shower seat too and when decorated need to sort out grab rails until then hubby always around :) the things he has to do for me now and he never complains
has made me laugh several times this weekend when felt a bit down , so to the whirlpool new towels to hand so easy to please really oh and new pj :) and before you ask PHil uk for pyjamas :) DEEx no yellow rubber ducks though another uk thing, maybe ,

Jack
08-02-2010, 03:11 AM
Sounds great DEE. I have a pumped shower and really love it, but I'm stuck downstairs again just at the moment. :(
I have a fold down shower seat provided by the local authority and it is really good - much safer and easier than using grab rails. The girls in the house say it is good when shaving their legs!

elephant
08-02-2010, 05:08 AM
Have a great bubbly bath Dee.

Doug
08-02-2010, 05:18 AM
Mmmm! The luxury of it all, Dee! Enjoy!

pberggren1
08-02-2010, 05:20 AM
I already knew that DEE. PJs are in Canada too.

DEE
08-02-2010, 05:44 AM
Just making sure Phil :) cant beat a new pair of pj s yes i know i sound sad but told u it doesn t take much to please me bath was lovely feel good hubby said it will good to use in winter when you feel cold but i cant remember when i last felt cold, got own central heating called DRUGS DEEx

DEE
08-02-2010, 05:47 AM
think time i went to bed meant DRUGS
THEN DEEx mind willing body just not so good

elephant
08-02-2010, 11:15 AM
I am contantly feeling sweaty and it has to be all these @#$&^% drugs that we take! Venting is so good. :0

onatreetop
08-02-2010, 11:35 AM
Sweat , more sweat and more sweat all day and night. Shower twice a day now and have to change clothes during the day. I cant take the humidity and heat. The heat rash is horrible that comes with the constant damp clothes. The pool is good when it isnt above 75 degrees. More than that and it feels like a bath. I have noticed that if I dont sweat I get painfully puffy still even with the water pill. I casnt wait for the fall and winter. They are more my speed. Then maybe I can wear shorts and shirt and not sweat!!!

pberggren1
08-02-2010, 12:16 PM
All that heat and sweating sounds like active Wegs to me onatreetop. But I think the pred can do that too and maybe some other meds and even some foods as well. But then again it is summer time.

Jack
08-02-2010, 06:59 PM
A side effect of both steroids and immunosuppressants is increased sweating so it is no great surprise that many of us have suffered from this. It used to be a problem for me when I was on higher doses, but has not bothered me since reducing the medication.

elephant
08-02-2010, 09:20 PM
I also think mine is underlying infection despite being on bactrim twice a day.