PDA

View Full Version : Always Check Your Meds

Sangye
04-13-2010, 11:28 PM
I've been meaning to start this thread for awhile. We take so many meds that it's easy to get confused or make mistakes. My mind is so often muddled that every time I take meds, I read the bottle label out loud--drug name, dose per pill, how many to take--before taking it.

I'm currently on 3.5mg pred and most days I take 20mg Lasix/furosemide (diuretic) due to edema. The pills look identical and I take them at the same time. I don't put them in a pill box with my other meds because I can't tell the difference between them. So each morning I take 3.5 pills of pred and 1 pill of Lasix right from their bottles.

Until today. I had swallowed 60mg of lasix before I realized my mistake. This is probably not a big deal--certainly not an overdose. The two complications are that my blood pressure already runs a little low and that I also have to take a milder diuretic to keep my CSF pressure down. I've got a call in to my PCP to ask what to do.

Also, whenever I pick up meds from the pharmacy I check the labels and open the bottle to make sure the actual drugs are the right one. I've known people who were given the wrong drug or dosage. Someone I knew was given 20mg pred pills instead of 10mg. She took them for a week before the pharmacy called and said they'd made a mistake.

DEE
04-13-2010, 11:49 PM
what a good idea Sangye i thought it was only me that did the checking thing i always use meds out of a box i keep them and never use new until i check they are the same for the reason you say was once given the wrong doseage in the early days
i do use pill box which i stock on the same day of the week and check several times
people often ask me how i remember what and when to take
im a list maker so there is one with pill box with name and dosage etc and meds box
i also give a copy to hubby so if ever im to ill to tell anyone he can inform then and i use the list when i attend clinics much easier than remembering all the names
also easier on a dizzy day
you always think of everything thanks for making me realise im not been neurotic about meds DEEx

jola57
04-14-2010, 12:43 AM
Thanx Sangye, I think we all have been there.

pberggren1
04-14-2010, 01:51 AM
Sometimes I forget to take my Fosamax pill. I take it once a week. I was to take it yesterday morning but I forgot. And I took it this morning but after I took it I realized I had a glass of milk about half an hour earlier. Woops.

Lightwarrior
04-14-2010, 07:53 AM
Keep yourself well hydrated and you are going to need extra potassium for that much lasix. Otherwise you should be okay. I would expect your pcp to advise you to take 20 meq of potassium.

Sangye
04-14-2010, 10:56 AM
Thanks, Nurse! I was fine. I already knew about the potassium loss with lasix so I had potassium salt on hand. I downed a half-teaspoon in a glass of water and ate an orange. No problem.

Yet another example of why we each really need to know about the drugs we take.

elephant
04-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Last year I wrote time, date,drug and dosage of the medicine I took. I had too...I took so many pills that my medicines were falling out of the cupboards. I don't anymore...I read the labels over and over. We all make medicines mistakes, were human!

Sangye
04-14-2010, 10:55 PM
I'm just grateful that I didn't take triple the dosage of pred! Would've felt lousy and lost ground on tapering. (Which is going great, btw. Today's the last day at 3.5mg. Tomorrow 3.25mg--whooya!)

elephant
04-14-2010, 11:50 PM
That is fantastic Sangye! Sounds like your doing a little better! Yahoo! Come on down for some yummy blueberry muffins!

Sangye
04-14-2010, 11:53 PM
I'm on my way. (picture big puff of cartoon smoke behind me as I zoom over...LOL)

Cindy M
04-15-2010, 02:59 PM
Great reminder for taking the preds. I get a daily supply ready for one week at a time. I check and double check when I am doing this. However, I never even thought about the pharmacy getting the prescription wrong, I will check from now on. Thanks again.

Lightwarrior
04-17-2010, 06:33 AM
Thanks, Nurse! I was fine. I already knew about the potassium loss with lasix so I had potassium salt on hand. I downed a half-teaspoon in a glass of water and ate an orange. No problem.

Yet another example of why we each really need to know about the drugs we take.

Thats Nurse NAG to you Sangye, hey its hard to find something to nag you about (LOL)

Sangye
04-17-2010, 08:19 AM
LOL-- I'll be sure to make a note of your official title. It would help if you wore your proper name tag, though. Just sayin'. :D

jola57
04-17-2010, 02:45 PM
Lightwarrior, that would be your Nag tag, hehehe, your words not mine Sangye