PDA

View Full Version : News of Jack

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Jack
04-06-2010, 06:39 AM
Hello all,
I'm sure many of you have been wondering why Jack hasn't been on in a while. He had a bit of a fall down the stairs at home on April 1st and is in hospital. He has broken his right knee and right wrist and cut his eyebrow. He has bashed his left side but nothing has broken thankfully it's just a bit bruised. He's feeling a little better today than he has been feeling. He's asked me, his daughter, to make this post so that all of his friends would know why he hadn't been on.
I shall keep you updated on his progress.

Beckie

Lola
04-06-2010, 07:01 AM
Thanks so much, Beckie. Please let him know that he is in my prayers.

JanW
04-06-2010, 07:18 AM
Thanks Beckie - Please send him all our best wishes for a speedy recovery.

elephant
04-06-2010, 07:38 AM
Thanks Beckie, I'm saying some prayers for him. Hoping he is back to his old self soon. Miss his company! :)

Sangye
04-06-2010, 07:48 AM
Thank you Beckie! I didn't know he also broke his wrist-- he must be in a lot of pain. I hope he's getting good care. GENTLE hugs from me, who misses him dearly. :)

moyan
04-06-2010, 08:47 AM
Thank you Beckie, I'll be over to support next downstairs.

Lightwarrior
04-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Thanks for updating us Beckie. Give him our support, the forum isn't the same without him. I'm glad he has you to keep us informed.

DEE
04-06-2010, 03:00 PM
thank you Beckie wishing him all the best with his recovery miss him putting us all straight .DEEx

Brooke
04-06-2010, 11:06 PM
Tell Jack to get better soon!

Col 23
04-06-2010, 11:47 PM
I wish him a speedy recovery and he is in my thoughts.
Col 23

eileenv
04-07-2010, 01:14 AM
Give Jack my best wishes for a speedy recovery and hope he is back home soon.

renidrag
04-07-2010, 10:12 AM
We miss Jack dearly. Keep us updated. Thanks Beckie
Dale

Terri
04-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Thinking of you Jack. Miss your words of wisdom. Come back soon.

Dumpy
04-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Jack we are all saying a prayer for you. Hurry back!

Cindy M
04-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Jack, hope you are doing much better now. Now, if WG's wasn't enough to deal with you had to go and increase your pain and discomfort. Hope to hear from you soon.

Sangye
04-08-2010, 02:44 AM
I miss Jack.

Doug
04-08-2010, 05:58 AM
Jack stated his circumstances with typical English understatement. A fall down stairs always is serious, but he didn't get into this detail with me. Thanks, Beckie! Add my best wishes for Jack, too. It is fair to say we feel the kind of affection for Jack that makes us think of him as "Our Jack"!

pberggren1
04-08-2010, 07:46 AM
I hope Jack has a speedy recovery Beckie!

I miss him already. I feel nervous or lost or insecure when he is not around.

Sangye
04-08-2010, 08:32 AM
LOL-- Phil, I think Jack would tell you to stop watching "Meerkat Manor." :D

pberggren1
04-08-2010, 08:39 AM
Actually I have never seen the show!

Sangye
04-08-2010, 09:56 AM
My bad-- I thought you were in on that conversation a couple weeks ago!

jola57
04-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Jack miss you already and I just came back. Best wishes for a speedy and total recovery. Wish I could take some of your hurt away my friend.

elephant
04-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Sure missing you too Jack. Hope to hear from you soon.

pberggren1
04-08-2010, 08:26 PM
No you are not bad Sangye. I was in that conversation. I have heard of the show but I have never seen it yet. Does it air on Animal Planet?

renidrag
04-09-2010, 07:29 AM
I miss Jack.
I think that says it all Sangye.
Dale

katwoman
04-10-2010, 10:30 PM
Please give Jack my regards, wishing him a speedy recovery!!
Kat

Sangye
04-11-2010, 12:05 AM
HEY JACK!!! I was looking at who was online just now and saw your name! I'm wondering if you can type with a broken wrist, though. You've been on my mind a lot these days. I hope you're healing nicely. :)

Doug
04-11-2010, 05:41 AM
That's encouraging if he can at least read what we are saying about him. (Since we're all being nice for a change...Ha!). Alternatively, perhaps his wife is helping keep up on the doings of the forum OR, better yet, perhaps he's managed to break through the ban on the forum on his hospital link OR (!) he is home now, but still unable to do much typing. Whichever it is, I agree it will seem like the forum's complete again once we have him back.

moyan
04-11-2010, 06:57 AM
Don't disturb the tiger that sleeps!!

DEE
04-11-2010, 07:05 AM
hope things are going well Jack keep watching for name to pop up too DEEx

Jack
04-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Update on Jack
Hello again, hope you're all well. Jack is still in hospital; he's had another x-ray and we've found out that he has also broken a bone near the top of his right arm. He's doing well and he is making steady progress which is great! We've passed on all of your best wishes also. The hospital staff are taking good care of him and we're visiting him almost once a day.
Thank you for all your support.

Beckie

Sangye
04-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Thank you so much for letting us know, Beckie. In addition to the posts, there have been numerous emails and private messages asking if anyone has heard more. Much love to your dad. I miss him greatly. :)

Brooke
04-16-2010, 11:09 AM
Thanks Beckie, I hope Jack gets better soon! He is sure missed around here!

elephant
04-16-2010, 11:51 AM
Thanks Beckie, wishing Jack a fast recovery. Need him back here on the forum, miss his wisdom and humor.

DEE
04-16-2010, 02:53 PM
thanks from me to wishing him all the best DEEx miss him been around

Jack
04-16-2010, 10:05 PM
Hello, this is Georgie, Jack's other daughter. :)
I just wanted to let you know that if you see Jack online, then it is one of us at home checking your messages! The internet at the hospital isn't great, as you've heard, so my dad can't really come on here at the moment. It's a shame, as he's usually on his laptop a fair bit at home :P

As soon as he is able to, I can assure you that he will be back on here - broken wrist or not!
Thanks again :)

Sangye
04-16-2010, 10:49 PM
Thanks for explaining that, Georgie. (And nice to meet you!) It didn't even occur to me that it was one of you logging in to check messages. I just saw "Jack is online" and got all excited. :)

JanW
04-16-2010, 11:13 PM
We miss you Jack and are wishing you all the best!

Col 23
04-17-2010, 02:27 AM
Hi Georgie
thanks for the update
Hope Jack is improving and is in good spirits.
Look forward to his return.
Col 23 Australia

eileenv
04-17-2010, 04:22 AM
HI Beckie and Georgie, so glad your dad is on the mend, i only spoke to him a couple of times but could as i am new to the site, give him my best wishes and hope he is back on line soon.

DEE
04-17-2010, 06:36 AM
hi Beckie and Georgie so glad to hear news about your dad miss his comments to as we are often on line at the same time been both from uk. best wishes to all the family DEEx

jola57
04-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Beckie and Georgie please tell Jack that we all miss him greatly and it is just not the same knowing he is not here. I hope he knows how much we value his friendship and comments. I hope he is going to be here soon. Best wishes for speedy recovery. Tell him that he is right he has wonderful daughters.

renidrag
04-19-2010, 05:14 AM
I think Jack will get a lot better a lot quicker if he stops having x-rays. Thanks for the update. Miss you Jack.
Dale

MCC
04-23-2010, 12:41 PM
Jack I hope you are doing ok now x

coffeelover
04-24-2010, 08:22 AM
OMG! I dont come o0nline for a few weeks (or is it months) and Jack gets himself in trouble. I so hope his recovery is quick! Best wishes from Minnesota Jack and please accept my apologies for the lateness of these wishes.
Lisa Coffeelover (I am not going to recomend hospital coffee though)

Jack
05-09-2010, 01:51 AM
Hey Guys, Jack was moved into a temporary rehab clinic on 4th May. It's a nice place with lots of nurses and staff around, always helping if he needs anything. He will be in the clinic until he is out of plaster because at home we wouldn't be able to do everything he needs.

We'll keep you updated! :)
Georgie & Beckie

Sangye
05-09-2010, 01:57 AM
Thank you for letting us know, girls. I miss Jack so much. Please let him know that we all miss him terribly and can't wait for him to get back online. I hope he's recovering well. :)

elephant
05-09-2010, 04:09 AM
Thanks for the update! Glad he is getting rehab. HOpe he will be really strong before he goes home.

Doug
05-09-2010, 05:38 AM
Good to know. Jack did indicate his family is a big support to him, and this latest business he's had to deal with shows just how fortunate he is on the home front! Thank you, ladies! It's good to know he's coming along.

DEE
05-09-2010, 05:42 AM
great news glad Jack been taken well care for he looks after us so well nows his turn
miss him been around to keep UK fires burning !!!
take care Jack
DEEx

Doug
05-09-2010, 07:17 AM
I'm failing at finding threads today. Whatever!

Has anyone been able to follow Cindy Abbott's climb up Mt. Everest? I Googled "Cindy Abbott Mt. Everest climb", and picked up bits and pieces that suggests she's still climbing. I never have been able to access her blog fully, just bits and pieces.

pwc51
05-09-2010, 08:48 AM
Hi Doug - Cindy's exploits can be followed at the following locations:-

Mt. Everest - Reaching Beyond the Clouds (http://reachingbeyondtheclouds.com/category/mt-everest/) - Cindy's own blog

Everest 2010 Expedition (http://mteverest2010.blogspot.com/) - the overall expedition blog

All seems to be going according to plan so far.

eileenv
05-10-2010, 04:37 AM
So glad Jack is on the mend and will be back home shortly.

Doug
05-10-2010, 06:44 AM
Thanks, pwc51! Cindy's blog still comes in garbled, but the other link had quite as lot of fascinating detail on the whole process of climbing Mt. Everest.

pwc51
05-10-2010, 07:08 AM
Hi Doug - I struggled with Cindy's site early on - older computer running IE6. I was fortunate to get a new computer with IE8 and it has been fine ever since.

Col 23
05-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Hi Georgie and Beckie
Thanks for the update, Glad he is being cared for so well and has supportive family.
Col 23

jola57
05-10-2010, 01:22 PM
Thank you for keeping us up on Jack's recovery. Give him a big warm hug from me, just not too hard wouldn't want him back in the hospital LOL

DuaneHart
05-11-2010, 02:19 AM
Jack, it's good to hear you're alright, for the most part. Take care!!

pberggren1
05-29-2010, 07:00 AM
I see Jack is online. Or maybe it is one of his daughters.

I sure hope your recovery is going OK Jack. We miss you dearly.

Sangye
05-29-2010, 07:02 AM
I was just thinking of Jack this morning but couldn't remember the name of this thread! I really miss you, Jack. Get back online, would ya? :)

Jack
05-29-2010, 07:03 AM
I'm Home! :)

I'm a bit beaten up and can hardly walk even with crutches, but I'm feeling happier now.
I'll tell the story over the next few days, just all be careful not to fall down stairs. I don't recommend it. :(

pberggren1
05-29-2010, 07:06 AM
I'm so happy to know that you are back home Jack that I am crying right now.

I hope that your mobility increases with time.

Here's a nag for you - DON'T OVER DO IT!!!!

Brooke
05-29-2010, 07:18 AM
Glad you are home Jack!!! Take it easy ok?
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Everyone have a great weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sangye
05-29-2010, 07:21 AM
HOORAY!!!!! I'm crying, too. So happy to see your smiling face and know you're back online! Big hugs (with pillows) to you, friend. :)

Lola
05-29-2010, 07:35 AM
Jack, I was just thinking of you this morning! Welcome back. We're so glad to see your smiling face and to know you're smiling a bit behind your words, as well. Geez, what a scare!

coffeelover
05-29-2010, 08:14 AM
Welcome Back Jack! We missed you
Lisa

Luce
05-29-2010, 08:28 AM
*rubs eyes* I don't believe it, Jack's back!
Best news all day, great to have you back Jack *does a little dance*

elephant
05-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Jack thank goodness you made it back in one piece! I missed you sense of humor and daily posts. Welcome Home! Big hug out to you! :)

jola57
05-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Oh happy happy day, Jack is back and in one piece. So glad to have you back Jack, we all missed you terribly.

Jack
05-29-2010, 07:47 PM
Thanks for all the welcome back messages. :)

I really did not expect to fall down stairs. Like most of us, I try to be careful and keep an eye open for potential problem situations, but I had never had any hint of a problem with using the stairs. This was obviously a false impression because my wife has since said that I never looked safe. I wish she had nagged me!

Both my hands were slippery because I had just been cooking dinner. They slipped on the hand rails about half way down and I nose dived into the hall. Luckily I was not on my own because I could not move anything and knew I had done some serious damage. My wife rang for the ambulance and they arrived within two or three minutes! Great service guys!

Damage summary - broken right knee, right wrist, right shoulder and a couple of ribs. Lots of stretched and torn tendons on the left side to balance things up. I now have a hinged cast on my right leg to give it some support. It is not too bad because it is the latest plastic type - very light weight and thin. However, I seem to have lost all the remaining strength and mobility in my right leg and I'm in a lot of pain when I try to walk. Never mind, I can work on that! :)

Thanks for letting me unload my story, there is a lot I need to get off my chest. It's been quite a strain. :(

DEE
05-29-2010, 07:57 PM
welcome back Jack missed you online DEEx

Kimbangu
05-29-2010, 08:43 PM
JACK you are one of the "kingpins" on this site and you were "conspicuous by your absence". Good that you're back. Keep well eh.

Doug
05-29-2010, 10:31 PM
When WG-related limitations necessitated moving from a house to an apartment in 2004, I thought I would miss the house. Amazingly, because the apartment is ground-level, with no stairs, I had no adjustment period: the house required frequent stair climbing, and, with much better outcomes than yours, Jack, I had several tumbles on the stairs leading to the basement in particular between February and November 2004, my remaining time in the house after I was released from my treatment for WG. It doesn't take much to take a tumble on stairs! (Embarrassing to admit, I also had falls up the stairs, a pretty good trick.) Welcome back, Jack!

elephant
05-29-2010, 11:08 PM
Jack, glad your family was there. That is amazing that they got there within a couple of minutes! About 6 weeks ago I had to call the ambulance for my mother in law in took them ten minutes! She was in horrible condition almost died from pneumonia. You can start to unload cause we are hear to listen!

Jack
05-30-2010, 12:03 AM
Sangye - how did it go with the pedal exerciser you bought? Do you still use it or did it go in the cupboard?
I feel that I need to get my legs moving again.

That is amazing that they got there within a couple of minutes!
The Rapid Response paramedic is on call and tends to sit in his car next to the pond just down the road from my house. I think he must have been waiting there for my call. :)

Sangye
05-30-2010, 12:05 AM
Oh Jack, I can't imagine how much pain you've been in, not to mention all the frustration of losing ground. My heart goes out to you. Reading the list of your injuries I was trying to picture how they diagnosed all of it. Did they put you in an MRI tube for a couple weeks and just "scan everything?" Kudos to you for getting through it and continuing to do the hard work of rehab. Have no worries about unloading-- we're here for you. :)

Sangye
05-30-2010, 12:07 AM
Aha! You snuck that last comment in while I was typing my last reply!

I still use the pedaler. It's wonderful. The past few days I've been trying something new-- pedaling very slowly for 15 minutes before breakfast. It helps get the morning sludge moving and also seems to keep my legs from swelling as much throughout the day, even when I'm sitting at the computer a lot.

As I was typing my last reply, I was wondering if you could use one. You can pedal extremely slowly.

JanW
05-30-2010, 12:39 AM
Welcome back Jack!!!!!

eileenv
05-30-2010, 02:44 AM
Hello Jack
Glad to see you home and are well on the mend and continue to remain so. Take care.

jola57
05-30-2010, 02:13 PM
Oh Jack that was some dive you took. What do the docs say about your bones fusing back together. Will there be any problem because of pred use?

Jack
05-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Under normal circumstances they would have operated on my leg and shoulder to pin the bones in place, but because of my osteoporosis and general poor health they reverted to the old methods of plaster casts (although they used hi-tec plastic ones). This means a much longer healing time of around 3 months before I'll be cast free. My shoulder was also slightly displaced when it fused which means that I have lost a little of the mobility, but nothing too serious. My main problem now is pain, especially first thing in the morning when I have to try to get everything moving again. It is not a good way to start the day! :(

elephant
05-30-2010, 11:11 PM
Are you still taking Morphine sulfate? Having pain just wears you down. In the Fall the cast will be off, that will be a big relief!

Sangye
05-31-2010, 12:18 AM
I bet your morning pain is awful. I think that should improve with time-- do your docs agree?

Jack
05-31-2010, 12:24 AM
The morphine stopped after about 3 weeks in hospital. I no longer needed it for the pain, but I was starting to rely on it to give me a good night's sleep - not good! I now only use paracetamol and not very much of that. Perhaps I should try something stronger and take it more often because the pain is stopping me from making much progress until later in the day when I start to loosen up a bit. The mornings are getting a bit depressing with the feeling that things are getting worse instead of better.

Even though I was doing pretty much everything for myself in hospital, the step from there to living at home has been a huge one and I am now only too aware of how reliant I am on my family. Simple things like carrying a cup of coffee or getting clean clothes from upstairs are impossible and I'm reduced to sitting in a chair or slowly shuffling to the bathroom. It's not great at the moment. :(

The main area of pain that I am experiencing is from my feet and lower legs. This is something I suffered from before, but it was bearable. Since I have not done further damage to these areas I'm expecting to be able to get back to a similar condition in time. I think my current problems are due to being off my feet for a couple of months. I'm getting a visit from a Physio. on Tuesday, so I'll see what they have to say.

Sangye
05-31-2010, 12:29 AM
Oh yeah-- the transition back home from the hospital is HUGE. I'm always shocked to see how exhausted I get at home within the first hour of being there. It's all the little things, like you said. Meal prep is a big one for me.

I think it's worth asking your doc for something stronger while you make this transition. If it allows you to move more, then you can make faster progress and get off the pain meds sooner. It's not good to be in a situation where you lose hope because of something that can easily be controlled.

MCC
05-31-2010, 11:28 AM
Glad to see you back Jack, and hope you are doing ok.

Lola
06-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Jack, I agree with Sangye that you need to take something for the pain, which will, in turn, help you to become more mobile. Increased mobility will help your emotional state as well as your physical being.

How about the ribs? Do they just kill you, too? ooooowheeeee ouchy wowa.

Cindy M
06-01-2010, 03:46 PM
It's nice to see you back.

jola57
06-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Jack you talk about having to go up a lot for living necessities, is there any way to adapt your home for you to be able to have a bedroom etc on the ground floor? I am sure that even thinking of having to go up those stairs gives you stress.

Jack
06-01-2010, 08:23 PM
I have not tackled the stairs yet, but a friend has fitted hand rails for me so it will be ready when I am a bit better. Currently, I am sleeping in the living room on a bed that has to be put up and taken down each time - not ideal and a bit intrusive for the comings and goings of the rest of the family, but at least we do have a bathroom downstairs. The latest plan is to convert the conservatory (sun room?) into a bedroom. I've ordered a guest bed for it and it already has curtains and a heater (and cable TV :) ) so I think that might work for a week or two.

elephant
06-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Sound like heaven. Perfect for you Jack.

Brooke
06-02-2010, 12:00 AM
Hi Jack~
I'm glad you are back home, I hope you heal quickly. That sure sounds like some fall, ouchie!
A couple of months ago I was carrying my 3 year old down some steps in our garage and I fell, he did not get hurt - it was just 3 steps I fell down but it sure hurt. I still have a bump on my leg that won't go away. I am wondering if it is the prednisone that makes things heal so slow?
Take care!

Jack
06-02-2010, 02:51 AM
Had my first visit from a Physiotherapist today. She taught me how to use my crutches properly and I can now make better progress and she also gave me exercises for my wrist and knee. I also had a first try with the stairs and managed a couple, but I need to improve a bit before I will be able to reach the top.

She says that my haphazard use of paracetamol will do no good - I just take the odd one or two now and then. She says that in the short term I should be taking them four times a day, seven days a week whether I feel that I need them or not. I think my doctor once told me this too, but I ignored him because I'm always trying to minimise my pill intake.

Lightwarrior
06-02-2010, 03:57 AM
First...WELCOME BACK, WE HAVE MISSED YOU!!!!

I agree with Sangye, I think you need something stronger for pain. Otherwise you will not want to move and you will not want to breath as deeply as you need to to prevent pneumonia. It is so good to hear your online voice again. :-)

Doug
06-02-2010, 04:10 AM
Had my first visit from a Physiotherapist today. She taught me how to use my crutches properly and I can now make better progress and she also gave me exercises for my wrist and knee. I also had a first try with the stairs and managed a couple, but I need to improve a bit before I will be able to reach the top.

She says that my haphazard use of paracetamol will do no good - I just take the odd one or two now and then. She says that in the short term I should be taking them four times a day, seven days a week whether I feel that I need them or not. I think my doctor once told me this too, but I ignored him because I'm always trying to minimise my pill intake.

I've just gone through that with myself and Gabepenten & Cymbalta. I relented on the Gabepentin, and re-ordered the prescription. I marvel at how much preventable suffering I went through to realize I still needed to keep up with the Gabepenten. Is it a guy thing, Jack? Or a people-who-don't-want-to-admit-they-aren't-20-and-healthy-as-an-ox sort of thing? I don't know. I suspect I will stop taking pills I shouldn't stop taking in future, too. I'm just that pig-headed about some things.

Glad to have to back and glad to read stairs are beginning to meet their master.

Sangye
06-02-2010, 04:47 AM
I don't think it's necessarily a guy thing. I think it's often a "Let me see if I still need it" thing. We can often get off drugs after awhile and the only way to know (for some of them) is to try.

Jack, please check with your doc that paracetamol is safe for you to take that often. That's acetominophen-- very rough on the liver when taken on anything approaching a regular basis. There may be painkillers that are easier on your liver.

Jack
06-02-2010, 05:04 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. :)

I think the avoidance of pills is another form of denial - if I don't take them, I'll just get better like I always used to do.

My doc seems to think the paracetamol are OK for me because he prescribes them to me in what I consider to be huge quantities. It's just that I don't take them. I'm going to give it a try for a week and see where it takes me.

elephant
06-02-2010, 06:06 AM
Sounds like you are making progress Jack. Good for you. Yes, I was in denial last year after my thoracic surgery....thought I was having a heart attack ....doc told me you haven't taken your pain pills? Where are they? I want to see the bottle! So I took them but did not like the effects!

Jack
06-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Sorry about this, but I'm feeling a bit low this morning so have come on here for a moan. :(

I've been at home for over a week now, but I don't seem to be making much progress and climbing the stairs seems to be as far away as ever. First thing in the morning is real bad with lots of pain in my legs and feet. Getting myself up, washed and dressed tests the limits of my endurance and wipes me out. I really think that I need much stronger pain killers. I'm also starting to get bruising to my hands from leaning on the crutches so I shall be asking if I can lower my Warfarin dose.

I have a telephone appointment with my doc on Monday (never had one of those before), but I expect he will want to see me before prescribing anything. He will have to come out to me because there is no way I could make it to the surgery.

It is 9:30am at the moment - I expect I will be feeling a bit better by lunchtime, I usually do.

elephant
06-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Sorry to hear that Jack. If you think you need stronger pain pills then you do. You are just healing slowly, which is pretty normal considering ( meds, and WG...). If you pain is not controlled then it is hard to start the day physically and emotionally. You will probably have to get some labs done, to make sure evething is ok with your blood ( warfarin). Hope you day get's better.

pberggren1
06-06-2010, 07:38 PM
My heart goes out to you Jack. You moan all you want on here. That is what we are here for.

Col 23
06-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Hello Jack I hope this reply finds you feeling a bit better and the pain has eased. Vent all you want sometimes just sharing can distract from where we are at for a little while.
Sending a gentle hug to you
Col 23

Sangye
06-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Jack, no apologies for moaning.... I hope you can get better pain control since it's really holding you back. Functioning at home is so much more difficult! Have you thought about using a walker instead of crutches? It might keep a lot of the pressure off your hands and use less energy. I have no idea which one is appropriate, though--just thought I'd make the suggestion. When I had excruciating pain last year in one ankle and was too weak to use crutches, I could use a walker. I sure hope you get help quickly, my friend.

DEE
06-06-2010, 10:13 PM
sorry to hear your not so good today Jack
ive had telephone appointments with my gp when ive not been able to get out off bed and he has prescribed meds i needed or visited because he need to do so
they usallay give me an appointment like this when they are fully booked so i can have contact with the gp the same day
hope you feel alittle better soon DEE x

Jack
06-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Thanks for all the support guys! :) It really is proving to be harder than I had imagined being at home and I feel guilty about asking everyone to do things for me. I don't want my family to waste their lives caring for me, it was bad enough before my fall.

Sangye - I have a walker that I can rest my arms on, but I'm trying to move on from this. It is very cumbersome and only really suitable if you can hardly move at all. The trick with using the crutches is to put more weight on my foot so pain killers should work, I hope.

elephant - the main reason for my appointment with the doc is to get my INR checked. I came home quite suddenly, almost signing myself out because I had had enough so there was no time to arrange for a home blood test. My doc will now need to organise this for me.

Sangye
06-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Jack, have you ever asked your family how they feel about taking care of you?

Jack
06-06-2010, 11:35 PM
Eldest daughter - shuts herself off from the situation and pretends everything is normal. If I want something, I'll have to wait.

Youngest daughter - a natural carer, but that is not what I want her to be! She likes sick animals and old people and tends to do things because she would feel guilty if she did not.

Wife - this is not what she had planned for her life and makes this obvious. I'm sure that it is only all our past history together that makes her stick with it. She is not a natural nurse, but feels that it is a sort of duty to look after me.

I've got to become independent again!

Sangye
06-07-2010, 12:01 AM
Well that sucks. My mom put my step-father through hell by making him feel like a burden. He was 20 years older than her when they married and was in extremely poor health already. I loved him dearly and am still haunted by how much he suffered from her dutiful "care." When I got sick she and my only sibling took off by the third month. I was bedridden and had $25 in the bank, but it was still less painful than enduring what she did to my stepfather and what she had already done to me for the first 3 months.

I'm sorry, Jack. I wish I could be there to help you. You're going to get stronger, though. This is temporary.

Jack
06-07-2010, 02:16 AM
Don't get me wrong, it is not that anyone here is a bad person, it is just that the role of carer does not come naturally to everyone. The atmosphere in our house is fairly good most of the time and it is probably for the best that I feel that I have to do as much as possible for myself.

elephant
06-07-2010, 02:52 AM
My husband has become numb, to all the stuff that comes up. Thankfully I am not bedridden now... last year though I had family with me for two months...could not do anything for anyone except myself.
Sorry, to here that Jack and Sangye.

eileenv
06-07-2010, 07:03 AM
Hi Jack
Sorry to hear your in so much pain i hope the docter can find you some suitable analgesia that will agree with you. I take tramadol for my osteoarthritis, this also helps with my jiont pains as well.

Col 23
06-07-2010, 08:45 AM
It is interesting about how "the family" handle it. Im one of 7 and most of them dont want to know or want to understand it. I get the impression that they dont want me to even talk about it. My dad got it, my mum took time and has been doing lots of reading about it. My husband gets it and is so supportive and wonderful, my children tip toe around it (older and flown the coup) however if I really need support they will rise to the occassion. Lucky for me I have lots of friends who are just incredible supportive.
However Jack I understand that independent thingy, just trying to hold on to that is an effort in its self when your consumed with pain and require assistance. I admire your assessment and insight of whats going on around you.
Col 23

DEE
06-07-2010, 03:05 PM
im in the same postion at the moment , my hubby is my main support at the moment ,plus friends and like you my children deal with it dirrentently
my son who was at home with me in the early stages copes well but i have been struggling with how my daughter has been
i hardly see her for all she only lives quite close and each time i have another problem eg blood clots she backs away , i know she has a busy life style she as recently been given premotion at work and is having to come to terms herself with dxt of Crohns diease
at the moment i dont feel strong enough to deal with these issues so i bury head in the sand and hope it will sort out
hubby seems to think she is trying to block my illness out too !!!!
jack i to understand how you want to do for yourself and the fact that you dont want your children to become you carers i dont want that for mine either
regards pain relief i take Tramadol

DEE
06-07-2010, 03:12 PM
opps finger slip not good in a morning
what i was trying to say is i take Tramadol hopefully just in the short term
thank you Jack for yet again bringing a subject up the family and how they feel as i said it is something i have been struggling with;but have kept rattling around in my head trying to find answers also thinking that is is something ive done wrong maybe not !!
thanks JACK take care of u DEE x

Jack
06-07-2010, 06:19 PM
I'm in a more positive mood again today! :)

I found some old Tramadol that I had years ago (yes I know, I know............ ;) ) it seems to be better than the paracetamol and has not had any undue side effects. Converting the sun room into a bedroom has also worked well and taken away the intrusion that sleeping in the living room was causing. In fact it is very comfortable and I quite like sleeping there. I have my appointment with the doc at lunchtime, so I'll try to get the meds put on a more official footing.

I feel that it is going to be a better day today. :)

DEE
06-07-2010, 06:23 PM
hope things go ok Jack DEE x :)

elephant
06-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Jack, glad it's going to be a better day today. Plus sleeping in the sun room should make your day shine! :)

Sangye
06-08-2010, 12:06 AM
That's great to hear Jack. I know this is going to make a big difference for you! :)

Sangye
06-08-2010, 12:09 AM
My first therapist told me that a crisis in the family (like being dx'ed with Wegs) doesn't create a new dynamic, it just amplifies existing ones. So a family member who tunes out completely was already tuning out but it just didn't look as obvious. That's certainly been the case for me.

Brooke
06-08-2010, 01:16 AM
Hi Jack - that is good you are in a more positive mood today, hopefully that will help you feel better too :)

eileenv
06-08-2010, 02:54 AM
Glad you are feeling better Jack, and the tramadol are helping, keep up the good work.

Jack
06-08-2010, 03:07 AM
The Tramadol that I am currently taking are standard 50mg capsules and I'm taking two at a time - they have quite a kick and make me feel rather odd and a bit sick for a while. I think I'll change to taking one at a time. My doc has prescribed a slow release version which I am hoping will be a bit more gentle.

Edit: Damn! :( It has been two hours now since I took my last dose and I still feel like crap. I'll try cutting right back on my dose, but it may turn out that this is not the drug for me.

Sangye
06-08-2010, 04:14 AM
Jack, it might help to talk to a doc who specializes in pain management. Not all docs know how to manipulate drugs and dosages to give you steady pain control. There's still trial and error to it, but I wonder if you can get a better expert involved.

Jack
06-08-2010, 05:42 AM
That is certainly something to bear in mind. I'm always hearing that pain relief should not be an issue these days, but I've yet to find anything that is effective without bad side effects.

I'm certainly not having a good experience at the moment and can't wait for the effects of that last dose to wear off. I'm sitting here with a bowl beside me because I keep getting hit by waves of feeling sick. I had the same trouble in hospital when taking Morphine and had to have it together with an anti-sickness drug. Perhaps that is what I need to do now with the Tramadol.

Come to think of it, that combination was the suggestion of the pain relief specialist at the hospital. My pain was very bad for the first few days and had me crying out when moved. I've never done that before and felt that I had to explain to them that it was not my usual style at all!

elephant
06-08-2010, 05:56 AM
Gosh Jack, that pain you had in the hospital was not controlled. Jack I too get nauseated when I took morphine too. Like Sangye said...you might just need a pain specialist. Hope you start to feel almost pain free.

JanW
06-08-2010, 05:57 AM
I took two doses of ultram (very similar if not the same as tramadol) for my ankle pain and had to get off it -- felt weird, sick and the pain wasn't completely alleviated in any case.

Jack, I hope you find some relief very soon.

DEE
06-08-2010, 06:19 AM
jack i take two 50mg of tramaol morning and night and for the first couple of days felt light headed and sick my pain specialist said to stay with it as it should get better at managing the pain
it took a couple more days
now i know when im due to take them !! but usually works within the first hour
i hope it works for you to or at least they can find you a drug that agree s with you soon
take care of you DEEx

Cindy M
06-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Hi Jack, it sure seems like you have been through alot. I hope something starts to control this pain you are in. With all the meds that we are on its no wonder that you are feeling so nauseated. I hope things get better for you soon.

Col 23
06-10-2010, 01:33 AM
Hi Jack
Hope your docs can work out a suitable drug for pain relief. The pain can drive you up the wall and send you crazy when it is constant. I suggest having a
further chat with your docs to see if they can come up with another solution for pain managment or at least stop the nausea.
Thinking of you
Col 23

eileenv
06-10-2010, 03:28 AM
Hi Jack
Sorry to hear that the tramadol are making you feel sick, i know they don't agree with a lot of people i seem to take them with no problems. My husband takes 200mg of slow release tramadol twice daily for a few years and he's ok with them so lets hope the slow release agree with you.

renidrag
06-11-2010, 09:56 AM
Been away for a while Jack, good to have you back. Hope the pain can be dealt with.
Dale

Jack
06-11-2010, 07:12 PM
Well, I thought I was having a good day yesterday -

I got a home visit blood test sorted to monitor my INR (Warfarin dose control). Asked for a new prescription for some Co-Codamol for the pain. Had a visit from the Physio and managed to get upstairs unaided! :) (but I'm not ready to do it unsupervised yet). Also a visit from Intermediate Care who are going to get me a wheelchair and some grab rails fitted next to the front door steps and in the shower.

However............

My wife was feeling stressed and depressed.
My youngest daughter was having trouble with her friends and was crying.
My eldest daughter was going down to London for a gig and was stressing out over just about everything.

FAMILIES! :(

(Vent Vent ;) )

I'm home alone today, so only myself to worry about. :)

elephant
06-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Even if you were well Jack, families still act like that. I am sure you know this. So keep venting and enjoy your time alone!

DEE
06-11-2010, 09:14 PM
homealone Jack !!!!!!!!!!! take care of yourself no disco dancing around the room DEE x :)

Sangye
06-11-2010, 11:16 PM
Glad you made it up the stairs! That's a big step forward-- no pun intended. :)

Jack
06-25-2010, 05:51 AM
I now have grab rails at the front and back doors and a fold down seat in the shower ready for the removal of my plaster cast tomorrow (if all goes well). I'm still making progress, but it is very slow and hard work sometimes.

Since my fall, I've been affected by "life's too short" syndrome and I've been having a big spending spree. The biggest purchase by far has been a new car for my wife (and eldest daughter by default! ;) )

http://www.egmcartech.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/ford_fiesta_five_door_hatchback_press_images_2.jpg

The girls are all very excited about the colour. :)

DEE
06-25-2010, 06:20 AM
great colour Jack !!!!!!! maybe we all should try a dose of lifes to short sydrome you will have to let us know if it worys
good luck with the plaster situation hope all goes well
im going for fitting of hearing aid to left ear and then out to a summer ball had rough week but looking forward to a night out
once again good luck for tomorrow
take care DEEx

DEE
06-25-2010, 06:22 AM
oops sorry Jack preds spelling must be time for bed DEEx

elephant
06-25-2010, 06:31 AM
Love it! I second living life!

Sangye
06-25-2010, 06:51 AM
LOL-- It's great, Jack. You deserve some joy. :)

Lightwarrior
06-25-2010, 08:12 AM
Gorgeous!! I agree with your girls about the color. You are all worth it.

Hammy8241
06-25-2010, 06:28 PM
Great buy Jack. Women can shop but men spend. Looks like Aston Villa Colour - by design?

Jack
06-25-2010, 08:22 PM
Ours is a non football house! ;)
They just think it is a nice girlie colour.

Jack
06-26-2010, 04:38 AM
Hey! I just zoomed up the stairs and had my first shower in 3 months! It was great! :)
So much better than standing at a wash basin and doing your best with a face cloth.

Coming down stairs was a little slower and a bit scary.
Leg feels a bit odd without the cast, but I'm sure I can make some more progress now.

Sorry for the pointless post, but I wanted to tell someone. ;)

JanW
06-26-2010, 05:03 AM
Yeah! Jack, I'm so happy for you!

Brooke
06-26-2010, 05:24 AM
Good for you Jack! I bet you are feeling refreshed!!

Sangye
06-26-2010, 05:24 AM
Jack, that is hardly a pointless post! HOORAY!!! I'm so happy for you, my friend. :)

Hammy8241
06-26-2010, 05:25 AM
Coming down stairs was a little slower and a bit scary.
Leg feels a bit odd without the cast, but I'm sure I can make some more progress now.

Trying the quick way to come downstairs is what got you into this mess , so slower is best.:)

Very pleased for you Jack.

Jack
06-26-2010, 05:32 AM
There is no shortage of support on this site is there? :)

Thanks all!

Sangye
06-26-2010, 05:36 AM
I bet if we lived closer to you, most of us would take turns carrying you around like a pomeranian, just to keep you safe. :D

Jack
06-26-2010, 05:51 AM
I'm trying to become more independent, tempting though it would be to take up any offers. ;)

Kimbangu
06-26-2010, 06:49 AM
Jack that is a very nice fiesta, .... when I got diagnosed I got into a "can't take it with you" mindset and bought a new car too.... there's no point in keeping it in the bank nowadays that's for sure.......

Lightwarrior
06-26-2010, 08:42 AM

Not a bit pointless, thanks for sharing. There is nothing like the feeling of being able to bathe (or shower). One of my nursing heroes, Florence Nightingale who is from your side of the pond Jack, wrote and taught how important light and cleanliness were to the healing process.

Enjoy your first shower , first trip up and down the stairs and new car day...wow a lot to celebrate!!!

DuaneHart
06-26-2010, 12:42 PM
Nice to hear you got the cast off, Jack. Now BE CAREFUL!

DEE
06-27-2010, 05:10 AM
Good news Jack keep safe DEEx slow and steady :)

elephant
06-27-2010, 11:24 PM
Great news Jack! I bet you feel alive! I don't know if I carry you around like a pomeranian. :)

Doug
06-28-2010, 03:14 AM
Considering you are a retired car guy, I'm interested to know what the car is. Ford Fiesta? I know they get great press over here (the European version- who knows what the neutered American version will be like....) Eggplant- yep, a very girlie color, and it must be fun to drive, too! I've been in a World Cup daze of late, so am a bit behind. Good to come back to you progressing to trips upstairs and showers. With me, it was downstairs and showers, after the initial mointh and a half of hospitalizations for WG: Stairs- ugh! Showers: Hoorah!! Good to have you back, Jack!

Jack
06-28-2010, 05:18 AM
Yes, Ford Fiesta, but with a tiny (by your standards) 1.25 l (76 cu inch) engine. However, it puts out 82 HP so it is fine for around town and short trips. My own car is more suitable for longer journeys and has a diesel engine which is a very popular choice here in Europe. They are quiet and usually more powerful than the petrol engine equivalent, unlike the ones you are offered in the USA.

Sorry - cars - I can't help but ramble! ;)

pberggren1
06-28-2010, 07:49 AM
Jack, you sound much happier!!! That's GREAT!!!!

The Ford Fiesta is their top World Car. In North America Ford used to make a car called the Fiesta back in the late 80's and early 90's. It was a flop - poor design and very poor handling. Cars have come so far in the last 15 years. I got to drive a European Feista like Yours Jack over in Spain in 2006. It is such a good small car. very well designed and good power and handling. So I thought why can't we get the good European cars in North America.

The new North American Fiesta is almost the same as the European one. There is a version coming out soon that has a turbo straight four for an engine with 200 horse power. The North American version is very good as well.

I hope your wife and you enjoy the car.

And Doug, is your car a VW by chance?

Jack
07-02-2010, 04:43 AM
Looks like I'm using this thread as my personal blog, hope you don't mind. ;)

Still having lots of trouble with the walking and it's all down to the pain in my feet and lower legs rather than a direct result of the breaks. Pain killers help a little, but I am considering messing with my main medication (Pred and/or Myfortic) for an experimental period. (yes, yes, I know I should not, but I promis not to kill myself. ;) ) I'm at my worst first thing in the morning and again last thing at night. At mid day I'm at my best and can just about take a step without crutches, but it is not something I would do for the fun of it.

I'm not sure what the coming week will bring. The girls are all going off on holiday to Italy while I go to my sister's house. She has spent her life in nursing and will look after me I'm sure. I certainly enjoyed my last stay. My concern is that she lives in an old house with steep, narrow stairs and the only bathroom is upstairs. Never mind! My sister is exceptionally practical and I'm sure we will sort something out. :)

I've also decided to drive there myself, even though I've only tried driving down the road and back so far. I don't have to, I'm just stubborn.

I'm taking my laptop with me so I'll let you know how it goes.

elephant
07-02-2010, 06:45 AM
Jack what kind of experimenting are you doing with your medicines? Upping the myfortic? Just curious. How far is it to your sisters?

Jack
07-02-2010, 07:09 AM
My sister's house is only an hours drive on good roads so it will be little different from sitting in my chair at home for an hour.

I think I'll first try doubling up on my Pred for a few days. I've been taking it long enough to know that I can get away with this with no ill effects and then return to my usual 10mg without tapering problems. It is not the solution I know, but it is info for both myself and the docs when I go for my next appointment.

The other is something that I have not tried before - increasing my Myfortic dose. I have always been on an unusually low dose so I know that there is some room to increase it, but I'm not sure how long to try it out for so perhaps I'll consult with my docs first. My idea here is that it could be a Wegener's symptom that would respond to a bit more suppression. I doubt that this is the case because my usual indicator is the condition of my nose which is fine at the moment.

Sangye
07-02-2010, 10:26 AM
Jack, CellCept takes 4 weeks to kick in when you increase the dose. Myfortic is basically the same thing, so it's likely to have the same lag time.

I don't know what to say. A major fall like you had could certainly trigger a flare. Does it always appear in your nose first?

elephant
07-02-2010, 11:12 AM
Jack, I think you know just by your gut something is going on....possibly WG??? You are on a very low dose of myfortic, like Sangye stated mabye the fall triggered a flare. I was told it would take at least 4 weeks for the cellcept to kick in sometimes 8 weeks. Jack you know best, talk with your specialist.

Jack
07-02-2010, 05:20 PM
Don't think it is a flare. I have none of the other symptoms that I used to get, but it might just be Wegener's grumbling in the background. I'll make an appointment with the clinic when I get back so that I can have some bloods taken and have a bit of a chat with the docs.

elephant
07-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Sounds like a great idea!

Sangye
07-02-2010, 11:46 PM
It amazes me that you can increase your pred to 20mg voluntarily. They'd have to drag me kicking and screaming back to a dose like that. :D

Take care, Jack. I hope you're right and it's no big deal. :)

Col 23
07-03-2010, 05:54 AM
Have a nice time at your sisters and safe driving.
cheers Col 23

Jack
07-04-2010, 02:50 PM
I think I'll drop my Pred dose back to 10mg today since the foot pain is not improving, in fact I have now developed a new one! It feels like broken toes on my right foot, but I know that I've not done anything that might cause such a thing. Never mind, I expect it will go away again like these things do.
The only effect I have noticed from three days of incresed pred is that my hearing clears every now and then. It is a shame I can't stay on the higher dose as a cure.

Having a good time at my sisters and enjoying her food and the company. I was worried about having to use the stairs all the time, but she has put up a hand rail for me and now I'm getting more exercise. ;)

Sangye
07-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Jack, did you have a lot of joint pain with Wegs before? That's exactly how I've described my joint pain in the past-- feels like bones have been crushed.

Since you can't raise your pred, do you take anti-inflammatory supplements? They make a big difference for me. I couldn't have lowered the pred without them.

I'm so happy to hear you're enjoying yourself (and eating!!!) at your sister's. I remember how much it raised your spirits when you visited last time. :)

elephant
07-04-2010, 11:11 PM
Enjoy Jack, keep eating. :)

DEE
07-05-2010, 02:04 AM
hope you enjoy your time away DEEx

Jack
07-05-2010, 07:36 AM
Thanks all. :)
What anti inflamatory suplements are you suggesting Sangye? I've never considered trying anything like that.

Jack
07-17-2010, 01:26 AM
Just booked a few days holiday in Cornwall (an area of England well known for its scenery and rocky sea views). The cottage is disable equipped for people up to paraplegic status so I should be able to manage better than at home. :)
I must ask if it has Wi-Fi access.

Sangye
07-17-2010, 04:33 AM
Sounds great, Jack. Enjoy yourself! :)

Brooke
07-17-2010, 06:02 AM
Cool Jack!! I hope you have a great time, you deserve it.

DEE
07-17-2010, 06:55 AM
good news Jack take care when you go out surfing !!!!!!!!!!!

elephant
07-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Go have a fabulous time super Model!

Jack
07-30-2010, 06:33 PM
Damn! Damn! Damn! :(

Had a big step back yesterday evening - I bent over slightly to one side to pick something up from the floor and something gave way in my right leg. Not the part that I broke, but in the upper part of my shin so I'm not sure what that was. This threw my weight onto my left leg and I twisted my ankle - it hurt a lot! Anyway - woke up this morning and I can't walk again so I'm getting around the house in a wheel chair. I'm pretty sure nothing is broken as there is no swelling or bruising and I'm expecting it to get better over the next few days if I keep working at it.

This was about as much as I could take because I had been making good progress over the past few days and it has hit me hard. I was in tears this morning, but I'm getting it together again and just dealing with the problems as they occur. It's just a setback - I'll be fine again soon.

Thanks for listening. :)

pberggren1
07-30-2010, 06:37 PM
You are so strong Jack. Sometimes it amazes me how upbeat you can be with 25 years of Wegs and everything that goes on with you. A good friend of mine had a bad fall 2 days ago and bruised a rib. He said he can barely move now. I hope you can get on your feet again soon. I once twisted my ankle and was back on my feet in a few days.

God Bless,
Phil

eileenv
07-30-2010, 07:50 PM
Sorry to hear about your fall Jack, thats all you need i hope you are soon on the mend.

elephant
07-30-2010, 07:58 PM
Sorry about your set back Jack. :( That is awful, can you put some ice on that? Feel better soon. Here to listen!

DEE
07-30-2010, 08:38 PM
Oh dear Jack sorry to hear your news hope things get better soon :) DEEx

Sangye
07-30-2010, 10:30 PM
Noooooo.... Jack, reading this made me cry. I'm so sorry. I hope whatever got injured heals quickly. I do think you should get checked out, though. Take good care of yourself, my friend.

Col 23
07-31-2010, 12:32 AM
Oh Jack I hope it heals real quick, thinking of you.
Col 23

Lightwarrior
07-31-2010, 02:13 AM
I'm crying too Jack, please don't wait to be seen you may have a fracture and the irritation will continue to aggravate your inflammatory process. I hope you are feeling better, don't forget to use your pain pills.

Palmyra
07-31-2010, 02:20 AM
Ahhhgggh! Don't you hate it?! I hope you are still off to Cornwall. My best to you Jack!

Jack
07-31-2010, 02:28 AM
I'm intending to be back on my feet in a day or so, but you know what they say -

Q. How do you make God laugh?
A. Tell Him your plans for the future.

;)

p.s. - thank to everyone for your good wishes. I really appreciate the support.

Lola
07-31-2010, 02:34 AM
Darn it, Jack!

At least you still have your sense of humor. OK, then, we are just going to assume that nothing is broken or cracked, right? I am really sorry about this little setback. You deserve better.

pberggren1
07-31-2010, 05:56 AM
Q. How do you make God laugh?
A. Tell Him your plans for the future.

That is so true Jack.

drz
07-31-2010, 10:16 AM
[QUOTE=Jack;19498]Just booked a few days holiday in Cornwall (an area of England well known for its scenery and rocky sea views). The cottage is disable equipped for people up to paraplegic status so I should be able to manage better than at home. :)
I must ask if it has Wi-Fi access.

Jack I have had two breaks that I didn't recognize till after X-rays. getting a X-ray might be good idea just to be sure. Last one was a stress fracture but treating it as a strain or inflammation just made it worse.

Jack
07-31-2010, 06:52 PM
I have the same suspicions lurking at the back of my mind, but I'm not ready to take them on board just yet.

I seem a little better today and can at least stand. I still have no swelling or bruising and I can prod and squeeze the areas in question without pain. It seems to be the usual tendon/muscle damage. I'll give it a day or two before getting an X-ray.

Let's hear it for Denial! Yay! ;)

DEE
07-31-2010, 07:59 PM
morning Jack
hope your looking after yourself if not gp first thing Monday morning DEEx :)

Sangye
07-31-2010, 11:03 PM
Let's hear it for Denial! Yay! ;)
Now stop that! :D

elephant
07-31-2010, 11:04 PM
Jack, too funny. Denial, Denial, Denial.....he's looking at you kid!

Jack
07-31-2010, 11:30 PM
Now stop that! :D
OK Miss.

I've just spent the past hour at the local Emergency Room getting checked out - half a dozen X-rays later and I have a clean bill of health! At least, nothing is broken so it's just a case of waiting for it all to get better.

Glad I did that now because I don't have to worry too much about it any more.

elephant
07-31-2010, 11:31 PM
Yea! Good for you Jack!

Sangye
07-31-2010, 11:45 PM
LOL-- Very good. My work here is finished. :D

Now you can get back to healing.

DEE
08-01-2010, 12:20 AM
good on you Jack now we dont have to worry about you and just have to hope you heal quick :) DEEx

pberggren1
08-01-2010, 08:11 AM
OK Miss.

I've just spent the past hour at the local Emergency Room getting checked out - half a dozen X-rays later and I have a clean bill of health! At least, nothing is broken so it's just a case of waiting for it all to get better.

Thanks Jack. I hope you heal up soon.

drz
08-01-2010, 07:30 PM
OK Miss.

Did they recommend rest, icing sore areas or what?
Glad you got it checked since anxiety and worry can't help WG.

Jack
08-01-2010, 07:34 PM
There is no swelling or bruising so nothing much to be done in that direction. The doc just said that there were no breaks and considering all the other medication I take, she did not propose adding to the list. I said, "Fine, I'll just wait till it gets better then :) ".
So now I'm just gently practising standing up again. I did try to take a few steps using crutches, but that was a mistake and I nearly had an accident!

Sangye
08-01-2010, 11:28 PM
You're sure getting to exercise your patience, Jack.

Doug
08-01-2010, 11:53 PM
My mother used to say, after taking a tumble, "I'm OK! I know how to fall!" Which gave the family great comfort. Not! I'm glad you succombed to nagging, at any rate, Jack, because that vacation in the West sounds too good to give up for something like recovery.

DEE
08-02-2010, 01:29 AM
slow and steady Jack take care DEEx

Jack
08-02-2010, 01:36 AM
I have to push myself a little, the trick is not to overdo it and I do have difficulty knowing where to draw the line, that's how I ended up hurting myself again. It would be so easy to get used to using the wheel chair - so much easier and less painful than walking with crutches. I really want to stop using it as soon as possible.

DEE
08-02-2010, 02:08 AM
just alittle then !!!!! DEEx

Jack
08-08-2010, 01:14 AM
I really don't know what is happening to me these days. I think I'm going to wrap myself in cotton wool and stay in bed!

My rabbit, Bobby has just kicked me and caught the back of my hand with his claws. Due to my paper thin skin, this has torn back a flap about 2" long. Ouch! :(
I've cleaned and bandaged it, but it is a bit of a mess and I just know it is going to take ages to heal.

Sangye
08-08-2010, 01:29 AM
Naughty Bobby! Sheesh, Jack that's all you need! It sounds like it'll make it hard to use crutches, too.

Do you need stitches? You might also need antibiotics since I doubt Bobby's nails were sterile....

Aloe will help it heal, as will a little more vitamin C.

DEE
08-08-2010, 01:32 AM
Oh dear Jack i dont know cottonwool would be enough please take care of u DEEx

DuaneHart
08-08-2010, 02:35 AM
My Gosh, Jack! Maybe some cotton wool, Temurpedic foam and some bubble wrap--in an empty room, of course! Take care!

Hammy8241
08-08-2010, 02:58 AM
My Gosh, Jack! Maybe some cotton wool, Temurpedic foam and some bubble wrap--in an empty room, of course! Take care!

Stairs, Fall, Rabbit. Thats your three Jack ... all good luck from now on.

I thought of wrapping Jack up in Bubble wrap to protect him, but have not found a soloution to allow him to breath.....maybe a straw?

Jack
08-08-2010, 03:15 AM
Stairs, Fall, Rabbit. Thats your three Jack ... all good luck from now on.
I hope so. Off on holiday on Monday. :)
I better have a go at driving tomorrow to see if I still can or my wife will have to do it all.

Hammy8241
08-08-2010, 03:29 AM
I better have a go at driving tomorrow to see if I still can or my wife will have to do it all.

Did you find out about internet access at the cottage Jack?

marta
08-08-2010, 03:34 AM
Have an amazing holiday Jack. Lots of rest and relaxation.

Jack
08-08-2010, 03:37 AM
My children both have smart phones so I'll borrow one of them to keep up to date. ;)

elephant
08-08-2010, 04:12 AM
Stay safe Jack on your trip...stay away from stairs and rabbits! You have nine lives, your doing just fine!

Jack
08-08-2010, 04:54 AM
Smart phones are rubbish! I've just tried to post using my daughters' (a Blackberry and an iPhone) and everything is so small and hard to use that I've given up. If I post next week, I may be a bit monosyllabic or use txt spk. ;)

Hammy8241
08-08-2010, 05:06 AM
Smart phones are rubbish! I've just tried to post using my daughters' (a Blackberry and an iPhone) and everything is so small and hard to use that I've given up. If I post next week, I may be a bit monosyllabic or use txt spk. ;)

Wife has iphone Jack. She says to get the text bigger go to settings>general>accessiability>large text> then choose the size you want.

easy..... if you are a child

Sangye
08-08-2010, 05:10 AM
Um Hammy? Did you just call your wife a child? teehee... you better invest in a Florist. :D :D :D

pberggren1
08-08-2010, 05:12 AM
Jack, you better leave the driving to your wife and just enjoy the passing scenery.

DEE
08-08-2010, 05:12 AM
Um Hammy? Did you just call your wife a child? teehee... you better invest in a Florist. :D :D :D

or you could share your jelly babies !! DEEx

Hammy8241
08-08-2010, 05:13 AM

Spooooooooooky! She just said the same thing to me.

DEE
08-08-2010, 05:16 AM
Jack just incase i forget i hope you have a wonderful time but please leave out the surfboarding and go for the cream teas instead enjoy !
DEEx

Sangye
08-08-2010, 05:23 AM
Spooooooooooky! She just said the same thing to me.
Yes. I know. Bwahahahahaha....

Hammy8241
08-08-2010, 05:28 AM
or you could share your jelly babies !! DEEx

I love her loads but............................................... ...........................................

Jack
08-08-2010, 05:37 AM
Wife has iphone Jack. She says to get the text bigger go to settings>general>accessiability>large text> then choose the size you want.

easy..... if you are a child
This thing is an iPhone 4 and you can just put two fingers (finger and thumb) on the screen and spread them apart to zoom. It is all very trick I'm sure, but it is a nuisance and the on screen keyboard is too small for my thick fingers.

I love cream teas (with coffee!) and it's one of the few things I can still eat.

Does anyone in the USA even know what a cream tea is? ;)

http://www.penshurst-online.co.uk/web_images/cream-tea_penshurst.jpg

Cream must be Clotted Cream which is VERY thick (not whipped).
Jam must be strawberry and preferably home made.
Scones should also be home made and fresh. I like the ones with sultanas.

elephant
08-08-2010, 05:49 AM
Jack, that all looks so good.

jola57
08-08-2010, 08:13 AM
ooooh and to think that just 2 short weeks ago I was enjoying cream teas and scones at Fortnum and Masons; I want to go baaaaack. Jack, enjoy!!!

Sangye
08-08-2010, 08:25 AM
Eat up, Jack! :D

Jolanta, it's great to see you! I've been getting a little worried about you. I guess you were on vacation? How are you doing?

jola57
08-08-2010, 08:34 AM
Thank you, yes it was a very extended one. Our oldest will be going to London's UCL and Brunnel to do his MSc and PhD in Cognitive Psycology for 4 to 5 years and so we looked around London for possible rentals or dorms and I filled myself with all the high teas and finger sundwiches and scones and....... It was great. Now I will have both my sons in Europe, if you remember the youngest is going now into his 4th year of medicine in Poland. AND I am feeling great, I am down to...... 4mg as of last Monday, feeling great, just a bit achey. I hope to again keep at 4 for at least month and a half and than go to 3 or 3.5. How are you and are you still on pred?

Sangye
08-08-2010, 08:41 AM
That's all great news!! Based on what I've learned recently about tapering below 5 mg and 3 mg (the two big alarm points), I suggest staying at 4mg for longer than a month. Dr Seo said when you've been on pred for a long time, it can take many months just to get below 3 mg.

To give you an idea of what he meant by "on pred a long time:" After being off pred for 2.5 years, I was back on 4 mg for about 9 months. He considered that a long time.

elephant
08-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Jolanta, sounds that is wonderful about you sons! Welcome back!

jola57
08-08-2010, 08:44 AM
I will listen to your good advice and stay longer, after the flare last year I definitely want to take it easy and slow.

Sangye
08-08-2010, 08:46 AM
JanW posted some info about it that she learned at the Symposium, too. I know you'll find it since you're catching up!

jola57
08-08-2010, 08:51 AM
I was reading her posts, I am realy sad that I was not back for the Symposium, I so wanted to go but it was just not written in the cards so I guess untill next time. Reading her post is great, she give so much detail its like I am there

Doug
08-08-2010, 10:44 AM
This thing is an iPhone 4 and you can just put two fingers (finger and thumb) on the screen and spread them apart to zoom. It is all very trick I'm sure, but it is a nuisance and the on screen keyboard is too small for my thick fingers.

I love cream teas (with coffee!) and it's one of the few things I can still eat.

Does anyone in the USA even know what a cream tea is? ;)

http://www.penshurst-online.co.uk/web_images/cream-tea_penshurst.jpg

Cream must be Clotted Cream which is VERY thick (not whipped).
Jam must be strawberry and preferably home made.
Scones should also be home made and fresh. I like the ones with sultanas.

I don't know if there is even an equivalent to clotted cream here , unless so underground dairy is putting it out for UK expatriates. My Scottish grandmother used to do the rest of it, though, when I was very young. Yum! Unfortunately, regular cream, which was available, went into the tea. Nice, but I've no idea if it was anywhere near the clotted cream in effect and flavor. Yes, with sultanas Yummy!

Col 23
08-10-2010, 02:48 AM
Doug thanks for sharing the picture, made my mouth water, I have to buy some cream tomorrow, I have some scones in the freezer my mum made so Im going for it tomorrow.
cheers Col 23

pberggren1
08-10-2010, 04:20 AM
Pictures of food!!! Yummy!!!! I haven't eaten yet today.

Doug
08-10-2010, 04:36 AM
Col 23- Thank Jack, if he's back on line out West on vacation! He posted the photo originally, and it came along for the ride when I quoted his comment.... Now I want scones and tea! I haven't eaten yet today, either!

elephant
08-10-2010, 04:37 AM
Well I already had breakfast, lunch and two snacks and wondering what else to eat! Oh, now you got me thinking scones! Does that mean I have to out and get them?

Doug
08-10-2010, 04:41 AM
Worse yet, look up your Scottish grandmother's fail-proof recipe and make them from scratch, which is what I think I have to do. I hope I can find the recipe....! [I'm not beyond cheating and using a recipe off the web just to get this baby - probably a Bimmer! ha! - on the road!]

elephant
08-10-2010, 05:07 AM
I tried making home made bread a few months ago....cough ...cough....my dog wouldn't eat it. :(

jola57
08-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Ha Ha Ha Ha LOL

Col 23
08-10-2010, 10:46 PM
I brought the cream, just got to whip it and get out the strawberry jam and defrost the scones, so looking forward to that. Mmmmmm.
Col 23

elephant
08-11-2010, 12:17 AM
Oh, I'm drooling. Enjoy yourself Col! Think of us everytime you bite into the scone... so good.

Col 23
08-11-2010, 05:14 AM
It was so yummy, the double cream really did the trick, I had to share with my husband which was just as well as I was Miss Piggy.
Elephant, when making bread, its all about the yeast, make sure its in date and its the correct amount. I too have made cakes the birds wouldnt touch.
Col 23

elephant
08-11-2010, 09:16 AM
So glad to hear I wasn't the only one trying to feed animals that turn their back on our home made awful bread/cake!

Sangye
08-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Do we know how Jack is doing on his vacation? Jaaaaack, we know you're eating scones. We can hear you licking your lips. :)

Jack
08-14-2010, 01:25 AM
Hi all,

Home again and although it was only a few days it goes down as one of the better holidays that I have had in recent years. :)
The facilities at the cottage were first class. I felt well every day and my legs seem to have got a lot better to the extent that I'm now ready to go back to the crutches and pick up where I left off a few weeks ago.

I'm never going to catch up with all the posts, so I think I'll just mark them all as read and start again.

It was so yummy, the double cream really did the trick
No, I bet it did not quite do it, you had the wrong sort of cream ;) .
You have to use Clotted Cream which is different to Double Cream. It is thick yellow stuff that is separated from the milk by scalding and collecting the layer that forms on the top. Not something you can do at home because it takes many hours.

That's not to say that your's wasn't delicious in its own right. :)