PDA

View Full Version : News of Jack

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Sangye
08-14-2010, 02:36 AM
Welcome home, Jack!! How wonderful that you had a great vacation and that you got stronger, too. I'm so happy for you. :)

Jack
08-14-2010, 02:46 AM
Thanks Sangye.

Sounds like you are feeling a bit better today too. Great news! :)

DEE
08-14-2010, 04:33 AM
Welcome home Jack glad u had a goof time DEEx

Hammy8241
08-14-2010, 05:46 AM
Good to have you back with us Jack. As everyone else has put on weight scoffing scones, cream and jam over the past week , have you? How did you do with the driving?

elephant
08-14-2010, 05:52 AM
Welcome home Jack, so glad you are stronger and back to "close to normal."

Jack
08-14-2010, 06:18 AM
How did you do with the driving?
Driving was fine. A bit painful on the feet when I started out, but improved every day until it was no problem at all. I wonder if all the pedal pumping was good exercise? (it is a manual transmission [stick shift] so I get to use both feet)

Sangye
08-14-2010, 06:22 AM
I say we get you out on the road more, Jack. It's good exercise and it'll blow the dust off you. :D

Hammy8241
08-14-2010, 06:40 AM
Driving was fine. )

Thats great Jack. Hope it gave you a boost and another good reason to get them feet 'a shuffling' along.
'

Col 23
08-15-2010, 12:23 AM
Hi Jack welcome back. Sounds like you should have heaps more holidays, got me thinking about taking a nice little break.
Great to hear that your a bit better, in the old scale - "inch by inch its a cinch, yard by yard its hard", something like that.
I hope you get my drift otherwise Ill think the medications are making me loose the plot.
Unfortunately no clotted cream but soooooo nice- occasionally okay, now that Ive had it I dont feel like it anymore. Im starting to think fairy cakes, havent had them for so long.
cheers Col 23

Sean48
08-15-2010, 02:24 PM
Welcome home Jack......Glad you had a good holiday.
Wow its been a long time since I have driven a standard. (stick shift). I'm glad you got better everyday and didn't end up in anyones trunk or engine...... :-)

marta
08-15-2010, 03:44 PM
I just drove home from Edmonton today (380km) and refused to use the cruise control because it's just soooo boring. It's like you're not even driving. I was driving and thinking how much fun it would be to drive a stick shift again, it's way more engaging.
Very glad to hear that you had a good holiday Jack, sounds like that might be the ticket... next time - longer. Glad to have your wisdom back on-line.

Dumpy
08-16-2010, 09:32 AM
Great to have you back Jack !!!!

pberggren1
08-16-2010, 06:15 PM
I just drove home from Edmonton today (380km) and refused to use the cruise control because it's just soooo boring. It's like you're not even driving. I was driving and thinking how much fun it would be to drive a stick shift again, it's way more engaging.
Very glad to hear that you had a good holiday Jack, sounds like that might be the ticket... next time - longer. Glad to have your wisdom back on-line.

What kind of vehicle do you have Marta?

marta
08-17-2010, 04:36 AM
What kind of vehicle do you have Marta?

Not the Starship Enterprise. Drove the Jeep Grand Cheroke (it's Brian's company vehicle) we also have our Subaru Outback but that stayed home.

misskay
08-17-2010, 05:30 AM
Driving is one of the things I've started doing again on a pretty regular basis. I drive myself to most of my dr appts and labs. Sometimes I even make a short trip to the grocery store. It all wears me out terribly, but being out and feeling 'almost normal' for a few minutes is worth it. I have a standard transmission, so days I have a lot of pain I can't do it... but when I can tolerate it... look out! LOL

btw- I had just traded my JEEP in November for my new car (44th birthday present for myself). Bought a 2010 Mustang GT... vrooom!

:w00t:

Sangye
08-17-2010, 05:36 AM
LOL-- I'm picturing you driving that on pred. :biggrin1:

pberggren1
08-17-2010, 09:20 AM
Not the Starship Enterprise. Drove the Jeep Grand Cheroke (it's Brian's company vehicle) we also have our Subaru Outback but that stayed home.

I love Outbacks and Grand Cherokees.

pberggren1
08-17-2010, 09:21 AM
Driving is one of the things I've started doing again on a pretty regular basis. I drive myself to most of my dr appts and labs. Sometimes I even make a short trip to the grocery store. It all wears me out terribly, but being out and feeling 'almost normal' for a few minutes is worth it. I have a standard transmission, so days I have a lot of pain I can't do it... but when I can tolerate it... look out! LOL

btw- I had just traded my JEEP in November for my new car (44th birthday present for myself). Bought a 2010 Mustang GT... vrooom!

Is your new Mustang the one with the new 5 liter V-8?

pwc51
08-17-2010, 09:43 AM
....... (44th birthday present for myself). Bought a 2010 Mustang GT... vrooom!

Oh to be 44 again! I would not be where I am now as WG started at 57!

Jack
08-21-2010, 07:30 AM
The Physio came today and brought the sticks I had asked for. She had held off until now because of my recent problems as she needed to see me walk with them to make sure I was safe. Everything went well and I shall now be trying to progress to using them in place of the crutches even though I still use the wheel chair when it is more convenient or my feet are giving trouble. At least it is another step forward! :smile1:
She also gave me some exercises to do in order to straighten my knee joint because I still can't lock it straight when standing.

Some more good news - my eldest daughter received her GCSE examination results and did very well. Two A and two B passes which gets her into her first choice of University. Congratulations G! :thumbsup:

Sangye
08-21-2010, 09:03 AM
That's great news, Jack. I hope it goes well for you.

elephant
08-21-2010, 11:01 AM
Excellent news Jack. You must be proud of her!

Doug
08-21-2010, 12:08 PM
Good for your daughter, Jack! A degree is not a luxury any more, but a necessity.

Lightwarrior
08-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Some more good news - my eldest daughter received her GCSE examination results and did very well. Two A and two B passes which gets her into her first choice of University. Congratulations G! :thumbsup:

Congratulations to your daughter and her proud parents. What a wonderful accomplishment. :thumbup: Does she have a first choice yet?

DEE
08-21-2010, 04:12 PM
Excellent news Jack. You must be proud of her!

CONGRATULATION to her Jack

jola57
08-21-2010, 05:14 PM
Jack my warmest congratulations to her and you, well done. Has she thought wat she wants to get into?

Brooke
08-26-2010, 12:19 AM
Way to go Jack's daughter!!

Fran
09-03-2010, 05:13 AM
Hello Jack, I was wondering how you are doing lately and what progress you are making with your mobility and if those sticks were helpful - I sure hope so. Did you say you were having some physio as well ?

I am just hanging fire with my own problems at the moment re wegener's flaring but complicated by suspected hyperparathyroid,, - I am going through all the tests (but am not really convinced yet) - but seeing my WG consult soon. - hope he'll be ready for my barrage of questions !!

I am a midlands 'girl ' ( oh that's a stretch, as I am a great-grandmother !) We came from South Leicestershire before we moved to the coast - that's before I was dx'd with WG , but I don't think we would have moved had we forseen things to come - then I might even have got a referral to your hospital of excellence !!!

Hope you are doing well !http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/images/editor/smilie.png (javascript://)http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/images/editor/smilie.png (javascript://)

Luce
09-03-2010, 05:17 AM
Jack, do you mean A levels?

Jack
09-03-2010, 05:22 AM
Hi Fran, thanks for enquiring. :) I had plans to retire to the coast myself at one time, but I prefer to stay near a major hospital now.

I've managed to progress back onto crutches and at my best I can even walk a short way with sticks. The problem I have at the moment is that the wheel chair is so convenient! It is pain free, safe and you can use both hands. I have to remind myself to get off my butt and walk occasionally. I'm planning to stay with my sister again at the end of October, so she will soon break me of the habit and have me running around! :)

Hope you soon see your way past your own troubles - nothing stays the same for long with Wegener's and it is possible for them to improve occasionally.

Jack
09-03-2010, 05:24 AM
Jack, do you mean A levels?
Yes. What did I put?

GCSE

Oh dear, must be the Pred again! (makes a good excuse doesn't it? ;) )

Fran
09-03-2010, 05:33 AM
Re your last paragraph ( haven't found out how to use quote ) - thank you - hope yours improve too http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/images/editor/smilie.png (javascript://)

Jack
09-03-2010, 05:41 AM
Use the "Reply With Quote" option on the right hand side of the strip just below the post. Delete any bits you don't want to show and type your message beneath the quoted text.

Sangye
09-03-2010, 05:42 AM
Get off yer butt, Jack! :flapper:

Jack
09-03-2010, 05:47 AM
Who woke Her up?

:ohmy:

Sangye
09-03-2010, 05:53 AM
LOL--I've been awake the whole time..... Now get your butt up off of that chair so you can soon be::fullofwin:

Fran
09-03-2010, 05:53 AM
Sangye and Jack - that little exchange is hillarious !!!

Jack
09-03-2010, 06:07 AM
Gonna get me some of these -

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Ln2H113NAYo/SWMAFQifMdI/AAAAAAAABm0/ECpQrpS8jWY/s400/Untitled.jpg

Sangye
09-03-2010, 06:09 AM
ROTFL-- Yes. Very nice. Now put your crayons down and go do a bit of walking. :laugh:

Jack
09-03-2010, 06:17 AM
OK, you've shamed me into it - I'm off to the kitchen to get a yoghurt and I'll stop off at the bathroom on the way (to cut down on the walking ;) ).

jola57
09-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Oh Jack you are hilarious. I just love your crutch boy. Up Up and beyond.....:w00t:

Luce
09-04-2010, 03:26 AM
Jack, I did wonder if the reason we're so short of uni places this year is because they're letting anyone with 4 GCSE's in :confused1:

Loving the flaming crutches but hoping your daughter isn't going for an Art degree :biggrin1:

Jack
09-04-2010, 03:56 AM
You don't like the work? :ohmy:
I like to think that it represents the cutting edge of Naive Art.

pwc51
09-04-2010, 06:30 AM
Impressionism, Cubism and now Weggism!

Jack
09-04-2010, 07:01 AM
I actually stole the image from this blog - Somebody Else's Blog: Introducing Crutch Boy: the Superhero with Crutches (http://benjihadafieldandhelostit.blogspot.com/2009/01/introducing-crutch-boy-superhero-with.html) written by someone else with their fair share of problems, but perhaps a little too weapon oriented. ;)

(I've been an engineering designer for most of my life so could not draw anything without straight lines or at least precise curves! )

Luce
09-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Naive art eh? I was thinking that perhaps the university lecturers weren't ready for such talent, you're ahead of your time Jack.
I can see the raw beauty in your piece :wink1:

jola57
09-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Weggism, lol, Jack you will be famous for introducing the style to the world, and the next Picasso is born (never mind about it not being yours, noone in the artistic circle cares, it is you who brought it to the world)

Sangye
09-05-2010, 11:57 PM
I can see the raw beauty in your piece :wink1:
ROTFL :laugh:

Jack
09-30-2010, 08:56 PM
For anyone who is remotely interested I thought I would give a quick update on my condition six months after falling and breaking knee, shoulder, wrist and ribs.

Before having the fall my walking was not very good, but I could manage a hundred yards or so. I did not use sticks or a chair, but had to be very careful. I have severe Osteoporosis from taking steroids for 25 years. I then fell down stairs and spent a couple of months in hospital in plaster. Bones could not be pinned due to their poor condition and the risks involved with surgery.

Recovery has been very slow indeed and was not helped by having a small setback when I tore some ligaments. I was just becoming proficient on crutches at that point and was thinking of moving on to using sticks, but this put me into a wheelchair. I have now slowly progressed back to using crutches again and I can just about get by with sticks when I'm feeling good. Things change a lot during the day from hardly being able to move first thing in the morning through to taking a few steps unaided when I'm at my very best. My wrist and ribs healed very well, but I have lost some of the movement range in my shoulder. I was warned at the time that this would be the case and it can't be recovered by physio. It is not a problem and does not stop me from doing much.

The main purpose behind this post is to illustrate what a very long time it can take to make progress and hopefully encourage those who have been experiencing symptoms for many months. Things can and do change with time, it is just that you may have to adjust your expectations. In my case, I started out thinking that I would be out of action for a few weeks, but I now realise that it is going to be more like a year before I reach my new normal. Unfortunately, this is not going to be quite as good as it used to be, but I'm sure it will still be acceptable. At least I have now lost my negative reaction to using a wheelchair and with its help can now cover a lot more distance than I used to! :)

elephant
09-30-2010, 09:21 PM
Jack, I can't believe it has been that long, but glad you are feeling better.

Sangye
10-01-2010, 12:11 AM
For anyone who is remotely interested I thought I would give a quick update on my condition six months after falling and breaking knee, shoulder, wrist and ribs.

I'm not at all interested. Please tell us a joke. :flapper:

Seriously, it's great to hear you're making good progress. Recovery from an accident like that can take a long time even without your complications. Glad you've got a great attitude about it. :smile1:

Jack
10-01-2010, 12:24 AM
And I'm not interested in your gammy ears either! You are probably just hitting the bottle too hard. :flapper:

(Hope the legs aren't playing up too much today Sangye. :hug2:)

Edit: Just read your post about being given a bug at the clinic. That just is not right and you should complain if you are feeling up to it! :mad1:

DEE
10-01-2010, 02:14 AM
good news Jack :thumbsup: glad to hear things are getting better for you
DEEx

Doug
10-01-2010, 04:39 AM
"They wouldn't call us a patient if they didn't expect us to have patience." That lame (no reflection on anyone...) thought helped me through many long times of healing. I don't think it hurts to remind new weggies in particular we need to allow the body to heal at its pace. Trying to force the issue by doing stupid things only resets the clock all too often.

["Stupid things" = things that seem really do-able and reasonable at the time that result in a serious injury or set back in recovery from WG-caused health issues. Face it, I doubt there is one of us on this forum who hasn't engaged in "stupid things" at least once, well twice, during this quest for a "new normal"!]

Brooke
10-01-2010, 04:40 AM
Yes very good news Jack! Stay healthy!!!!:lol:

marta
10-01-2010, 03:07 PM
Jack, I'm so glad to hear that things are moving forward. Forward is good, regardless the pace. Just stay away from that wascawy wabbit. :sneaky:

Doug - I can confess that I pull at least one, maybe two 'stupid things' each and every day... sometimes even three. Sometimes I'll do one that counts as three (i.e. bruises on hips :blushing:)

pberggren1
10-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Jack, I'm so glad to hear that things are moving forward. Forward is good, regardless the pace. Just stay away from that wascawy wabbit. :sneaky:

Doug - I can confess that I pull at least one, maybe two 'stupid things' each and every day... sometimes even three. Sometimes I'll do one that counts as three (i.e. bruises on hips :blushing:)

Just remember what Forrest Gump said, "My Momma always said that stupid does is stupid is."

Jack
10-04-2010, 09:57 PM
I don't seem to be able to make it through a full week without something going wrong. :(

I started to feel more tired than usual a few days ago and the amount that I cough up increased too. I ignored this (as you do) and hoped it would go away, but today the symptoms are really bad and I'm short of breath, it is obvious that I have a lung infection. I've had them often enough to know, so I have just rung the doctor for an Amoxycillin prescription. Hopefully he will write one without seeing me as he has done in the past.

Damn!

elephant
10-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Jack, I do the same thing...sometimes I think it is viral and give it a few days. Glad your calling the doctor.

DEE
10-05-2010, 01:28 AM
Jack take care of you ,hope your feeling better soon DEE x:ohmy:

Sangye
10-05-2010, 01:38 AM
Grrr... so frustrating, huh? I hope they give you the antibiotic and it works quickly, Jack. Hugs to you. :hug2:

marta
10-05-2010, 03:11 AM
Take care Jack.
It's both terrible and great that you have the experience to know what an infection feels like and a doctor who'll prescribe without seeing you.
Once this clears up, here's to at least a year without anything going wrong. At least!

Fran
10-09-2010, 03:43 AM
Hello Jack, Hope you are feeling much better now after your suspected lung infection and that. the antibiotic has knocked it out. http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/images/editor/smilie.png I was reading your update about the horrible accident you had when you fell, and glad to hear you are progressing and more accepting of your wheelchair - I know it's tough for you though ! Are you still able to visit your sister for a short break - hope so - a change of scenery is so good.

I really cracked up at your little 'exchanges' with Sangye - You are like a double act the pair of you, !!

Best wishes.http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/images/editor/smilie.png

Jack
10-09-2010, 04:02 AM
Thanks for the thoughts Fran.
I think the antibiotic has improved things a bit, but I'm still coughing a great deal. It seems that it is part of my new normal as have never got very far with making it better.
I only use the wheelchair now when going out or for getting around the house when I'm home alone. I feel safer that way and can carry things easier. I'll be visiting my sister at the end of this month and should get along fine.
Sangye and I are planning a world tour with our act, but I have not told her yet! ;)

marta
10-09-2010, 04:45 AM
Sangye and I are planning a world tour with our act, but I have not told her yet! ;)

I'm working on that. :w00t:

Fran
10-09-2010, 04:59 AM
Jack,
Can hardly wait for her reply when she reads that !!http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/images/editor/smilie.png

Sangye
10-09-2010, 06:03 AM
LOL-- I better get a new passport. And a better cane. :w00t:

elephant
10-09-2010, 06:26 AM
It will happen, will come and see you guys. Jack can bring his smilies!

Jack
10-09-2010, 07:22 AM
LOL-- I better get a new passport. And a better cane. :w00t:
Is that for the tap dance number at the end?

freakyschizogirl
10-09-2010, 08:10 AM
I'll be there for the tap dance at the end

Jack
10-09-2010, 09:00 AM
Sorry, you can't just come in for the big finale. We are starting the show with a couple of hours of Yoga chants and mantras -

All together now -

OM
YOGENA CHITTASYA PADENA VACHAM
MALAM SHARIRASYA CHA VAIDYAKENA
YOPAKAROTAN PRAVARNM MUNEENAM
PATANJALIM PRANJALI RANATOSMI

You will enjoy it if you open your mind. :biggrin1:

jola57
10-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Huh?:confused1:

Sangye
10-10-2010, 02:01 AM
ROTFL.... :laugh:

Hammy8241
10-10-2010, 05:06 AM
Huh?:confused1:

I bow to the sage Patanjali, who cured the imperfections of the mind through yoga
the imperfections of speech through grammar and the imperfections of the body through medicine.

Personally, I find a beer (or two) does it all!

Careful Jack.... Don't let Doug read this!:wink1:

Jack
10-10-2010, 05:25 AM
He was a sage and teacher, I don't consider yoga to be a religion, but you are right. I know some don't see it the same way. Sorry Doug! :)

Doug
10-10-2010, 11:33 AM
I love you pagans as brothers and sisters. No offense intended! Now I render the message in "English as received", orthographically speaking: I love you pagans as brothers and sisters. No offence intended! =(^+^)=

Sangye
10-10-2010, 02:08 PM
ROTFL.. Doug you are a riot. :laugh:

Doug
10-10-2010, 03:44 PM
=(^+^)==(^

Doug
10-10-2010, 03:47 PM
There. I wondered if the site considered 10 words or ten key strokes. There's your/my answer: 10 keystrokes. It is unnecessary to come up with ten words to satisfy the 3!*@#!

Anyway, Sangye ~ A little levity there for those in the mood for a larf!

jola57
10-12-2010, 04:53 PM
OOOh this is treat, levity once in a while is a must, otherwise we just get full of ourselfs :flapper:

Sangye
10-13-2010, 01:01 AM
OOOh this is treat, levity once in a while is a must, otherwise we just get full of ourselfs :flapper:
It's physically impossible for a Weggie to get full of him/herself. We are already full of food. There's no room. :biggrin1:

elephant
10-13-2010, 07:28 AM
I still am full of food even though I am on 6 1/2 mg of prednisone.

jola57
10-13-2010, 03:53 PM
That's just it, I was full and i could still eat a horse with hooves, and it that wasn't enough just nibble on meself LOL

Jack
10-13-2010, 08:44 PM
I want none of that talk in this thread. I'm vegetarian! :hmph:

Sangye
10-14-2010, 02:33 AM
ROTFL!! Pouting kitteh is pouting! :laugh::laugh:

Doug
10-14-2010, 03:02 PM
700 Take that!!

Jack
11-04-2010, 07:53 AM
It hasn't been a good day today.

We have been fighting a losing battle with Amber, our youngest rabbit (6 years) who has been suffering from cysts and sore eyes - lots of antibiotics, eye drops and vet bills. She was not well before we went away on holiday, but was worse when we came back and today she was obviously sick. Time to call it a day and so we took her to the vet's for the last time. :crying:

This evening, I tried to push the washing machine drain back into place because it had fallen off and I did something to my left hand. No idea what went wrong, but there was a sort of popping feeling in my little finger and now it hurts like hell! It does not seem to be broken or dislocated so I've taped it up. I think it might be a torn ligament or something similar to what I did to my leg. I'm getting so damn fragile. :sad:

pberggren1
11-04-2010, 07:56 AM
I'm sorry to hear this Jack. It sometimes seems like everything happens at once.

Sangye
11-04-2010, 08:05 AM
Jack, I'm so sorry to hear about Amber. I remember the beautiful picture you posted of her once. Get that finger checked asap. If you did tear a ligament you need to get it treated quickly to restore function.

Hugs to you, Jack. I hope you have a better day tomorrow. :hug2:

freakyschizogirl
11-04-2010, 08:21 AM
Hugs Jack...sorry to hear about your cat. :hug2:

Brooke
11-04-2010, 08:22 AM
Aww, sorry to hear about Amber. It's never easy with pets!
I am also sorry to hear you hurt your hand! I hope you get it fixed asap.

Sangye
11-04-2010, 08:22 AM
(Freaky, Amber is Jack's rabbit)

janNaz
11-04-2010, 08:29 AM
Jack, sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope things make a quick turn for the better. Take good care!

elephant
11-04-2010, 08:55 AM
Ditto to the above comments, sorry about your rabbit. Hopefully they will figure out what is wrong.

Jack
11-04-2010, 09:03 AM
As far as the hand goes, first thing to do is to wait several days to see if it gets better. :rolleyes1:
Thanks for all the good wishes, I'm sure things will soon look up. :biggrin1:

chrisTIn@
11-04-2010, 09:16 AM
Oh Jack! Feel for you and your family as you lost this little animal. Today my daughter and I just happened to talk about the two rabbits and the dog we used to have, and how funny they were.
The rabbits were mother and daughter. One was pretty old when she died (12!), but the other died to early. Cause of death myximathosis (?) -a nasty rabbit-disease. I tried for days just to safe her little life but eventually we also had to take her to the vet and let her go.

Hope your little finger is MUCH much better in several days.

marta
11-04-2010, 09:43 AM
When it rains, it really rains (I don't want to say it pours so as not to tempt the fates as we all know things could get a lot crappier). I had a rabbit once and he was awesome. We let him run around freestyle, like a cat and he was great. My dad hated him because when we visited he would chew through dads stereo wires (in my mind that made him more indearing - being a bit of a rebel and all). Rabbits rock and I'm sorry about your little Amber. Our vet told us that animals are great at disguising their ailments, a survival tactic if living out in the wild, and by the time we notice they're sick they've been sucking it up for a while so it's good that you're taking her to the vet and she will not suffer whatever course the vet takes. I'm bummed for you.

As for saying how fragile we are because of your injury I think it's all relative. I personally think we're tougher than most. When I was at my healthiest I injured my thumb and pinky finger by closing the lid of a highlighter wrong. The pain lasted for several months. And I was stroooong then. Now I, you, we, can take on daily chemotherapy, high dose steroids and a multitude of drug / disease side effects way above normal threshold, so you are one tough cookie.

I'm sorry that your hand is hurting but knowing you, you'll have it licked in no time as you're one of the tougher people I have the privellage of knowing. I'm witcha buddy, use this time to sit back, chill out, and listen to some tunes.

Jack
11-05-2010, 12:10 AM
Bobby, the older rabbit is a bit sad today. :sad:
He has spent the past six years with Amber pressed up tight against him, but pretending that she was a nuisance. I think he misses her now and has not eaten his breakfast this morning. She also acted as his hot water bottle in winter so we are going to have to think of some other arrangement to keep him warm.

My hand is not much better, but I'm learning to get by without using it. ;)

Sangye
11-05-2010, 12:39 AM
I was wondering how Bobby would be. They were so cute together in that picture. I remember thinking their names suited them perfectly.

elephant
11-05-2010, 03:47 AM
Your rabbits sound like a old married couple. So sorry Bobby is sad.

Brooke
11-05-2010, 03:51 AM
Poor Bobbby. Jack, do you think you will get another Rabbit? When one of my parent's dogs died a few years ago, the lady at the pet store told my dad to get another pet right away, not as a replacement but as an addition. He did do that, it was still heartbreaking knowing that "Ozzie" died but the new puppy "Gizzie" kind of helped a little.

Geoff
11-05-2010, 03:57 AM
Your description of your 2 Rabbits Jack was so vivid it reminded me of our 2 cats. We got them from the 'Cat Rescue' organisation and they were brothers, the pair of them fitting in the palm of one hand when we got them. Rocky was 20 when he died 4 months ago and his brother, Rambo (we got them on Stallones birthday) made 18. Like Bobby, Rambo made out that his smaller brother was a pain in the backside, but they would 'cuddle up' for warmth on the front door mat in the winter. Rambo even came looking for us when Rocky was 'beaten up' by a feral cat. He led us to where his little brother was hiding, under a bush, all tattered and torn. I swore that when Rocky died that was it and no more pets, but I guess its only a matter of time before we succumb again. Hope Bobby has got his appetite back again.:sad:

Luce
11-05-2010, 04:45 AM
So sorry to hear of your loss Jack, I too have a poorly bunny at the moment. I had to take Boris to the emergency vets on Sunday as my husband went to feed him and noticed his head was tilted to one side and he was having trouble standing up without rolling over.
£200 and 5 days later and we're still not sure what it is, we're treating him for an ear infection caused by a parasite at the moment and he seems to be improving but it could still be a brain tumour. I have spent every spare minute I have trying to get him to eat and drink, cleaning his poor bottom because he can't stand up long enough to do it himself and syringing antibiotics and worming meds into his mouth.
He is walking straighter and not falling down so much, he is also eating small amounts and drinking when you shove his water bottle in his face, but I think this is going to be a long recovery.
I have resigned myself to having him in a cage indoors rather than outside in his hutch for the winter as this would be his first winter outside and I just don't think he's strong enough to take the cold. Also the medication is going to continue for some time and its easier to do it if he remains indoors.

I'm shattered because I'm running around and worrying so much about Boris, and I'm also concerned because I lost a rabbit 2 years ago when she had a blockage in her stomach and a month later I ended up in hospital diagnosed with WG. I'm trying to remain calm and convince myself that the situation isn't repeating itself.

Pets are family as far as I'm concerned, my Dad always tells me I get too attached to mine but they're like children who need caring for. Sorry again Jack, I hope Bobby either learns to live by himself or you can successfully bond him with another bun.

Jack
11-05-2010, 05:36 AM
Hope Boris gets better Luce, looking after them when ill can be a strain in so many ways.

Bob and Amber were indeed just like a comedy couple. Bob was smaller, lop eared and liked to sleep in the warm. Amber was always big, strong and fierce until something bad happened when she would run to Bob for protection.
He seems to be eating again now, but he has not been too well himself and is on antibiotics.

We have had a lot of trouble with the rabbits this year and together with the problems I have had, my wife has had enough! I can't see us replacing Amber while we still have Bob, two Gerbils and a Hamster.

Luce
11-05-2010, 06:16 AM
I have two rabbits, two guinea pigs and three gerbils and luckily everyone is usually in very good health. I feel bad making my poor husband clean out the hutches every week since getting ill, I can manage the gerbils and kind of have to as I was only allowed them on the understanding that I looked after them. Gerbils are fantastic creatures, I love watching them dig their tunnels and have managed to train them to hop out on to my hand (as long as they get a pumpkin seed treat).

I can understand not wanting to take on any more animals as they really do require a lot of time and care, not to mention money when things go wrong. I'm sure Bob will pick up, he just needs a little time like we all do when we lose a special someone.

Fortunately Boris took his medication quite well today and has eaten some more, he is also less wonky so I think we have the right treatment.

eileenv
11-05-2010, 06:18 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss of Amber Jack, it is indeed heartbreaking when we lose one of our beloved pets. I hope Boris gets better Luce.

drz
11-05-2010, 11:11 AM
It hasn't been a good day today.

We have been fighting a losing battle with Amber, our youngest rabbit (6 years) who has been suffering from cysts and sore eyes - lots of antibiotics, eye drops and vet bills. She was not well before we went away on holiday, but was worse when we came back and today she was obviously sick. Time to call it a day and so we took her to the vet's for the last time. :crying:

This evening, I tried to push the washing machine drain back into place because it had fallen off and I did something to my left hand. No idea what went wrong, but there was a sort of popping feeling in my little finger and now it hurts like hell! It does not seem to be broken or dislocated so I've taped it up. I think it might be a torn ligament or something similar to what I did to my leg. I'm getting so damn fragile. :sad:

The pharmacist just warned me about my high risk or tearing or damaging tendons because of the meds I am taking. Their warning was to see a doctor right away if I felt pain or inflammation of tendons. I think being fragile is part of the package for surviving Wegener's and taking the all the meds we need. Plus I have diabetes and those meds also contribute to risk along with getting older. Being a full time patient and supporting the health care community is my new job since I retired.

Let us know what they find on your finger.

Jack
11-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Hand now making steady improvement so is justifying the session of denial! :wink1:

Bobby is being treated for a cyst under his jaw and although he seemed to be making progress I'm now not so sure. The cyst seems to be getting bigger and he is missing Amber. I think we are all preparing ourselves for him to follow her in the not too distant future. Just like many old couples. :sad:

elephant
11-08-2010, 01:32 AM
Jack glad about your hand, but sad about your bunny!

Sangye
11-08-2010, 01:45 AM
Ditto to what Elephant said.

DEE
11-08-2010, 01:59 AM
me too DEEx

marta
11-08-2010, 03:41 AM
Me 3. Take care Jack.

Jack
11-08-2010, 08:49 AM
Had a good day with the legs yesterday and managed to walk across the room unaided for the first time. So today, I started with a double dose of painkiller with the hope of repeating the act, but it does not seem to have had any effect at all and I can't manage it again. Never mind, it was another small step forward. :thumbsup:

Sangye
11-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Jack, you might need to start really slowly and only try walking unassisted like that every other day, allowing your body to recover on the off day.

drz
11-08-2010, 12:57 PM
Had a good day with the legs yesterday and managed to walk across the room unaided for the first time. So today, I started with a double dose of painkiller with the hope of repeating the act, but it does not seem to have had any effect at all and I can't manage it again. Never mind, it was another small step forward. :thumbsup:

What happens if you just stand and shift feet a little. This was one of the exercises I did a lot when to learning to walk again. My problem though was no balance and weakness, not pain in legs.

BrianR
11-08-2010, 01:59 PM

Hi Jack.

"Unaided across the room for the first time"? Brilliant! That's a BIG step forward and I have no doubt you will indeed "manage" it again and again.

marta
11-08-2010, 02:42 PM
One small step for Jack, One giant step for WegKind.

Jack, you inspire me all the time with your strength, determination, and amazing spirit.

DEE
11-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Jack great news !!!!!!! but please be careful :thumbup:

Jack
11-08-2010, 08:59 PM
Thanks for all the good wishes. :)
I just wish I could get to the bottom of why I have good days and bad days. If I could have the good days all the time, that would be great! But I expect we are all like that.

Geoff
11-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Thanks for all the good wishes. :)
I just wish I could get to the bottom of why I have good days and bad days.

I dare say if you could Jack you would be the best Wegs doctor on the planet! ...Congratulations on your walking, keep hold of the positive image and 'go again' when you feel up to it.

elephant
11-08-2010, 11:56 PM
Jack, I wish I could find that answer for you too! Keep your wonderful attitude going!

Sangye
11-09-2010, 01:21 AM
I don't really have good days. My best days are just less awful than the others. Man, I'm sick of this. :sad:

Geoff
11-09-2010, 01:25 AM
Oh Sangye, please take this big hug with tons of love, :hug2:

eileenv
11-09-2010, 01:33 AM
Welldone Jack for taking those sreps unaided, sorry to hear Sangye that you don't have many good days, this disease certainly takes it's toll on people. More hugs coming your way:hug1:

Hammy8241
11-09-2010, 01:52 AM
Keep at it Jack, get the wife to keep moving the tv 'zapper' out of reach.... it will soon come.:sleep:

Jack
11-09-2010, 03:51 AM
Keep at it Jack, get the wife to keep moving the tv 'zapper' out of reach.... it will soon come.:sleep:
I went for the walk because my crutches had been tidied away in the next room!

Sangye - I class a good day as being one when I don't feel sick or ill, general pain levels are minor and I can walk using crutches with tolerable pain levels. I suppose that most people would class themselves as being pretty poorly if they were in a similar state, but it is all relative. What are your main problems at the moment? Is it still the Edema? I so wish you could find some way of relieving it. I wonder why it does not respond to treatment?

elephant
11-09-2010, 05:15 AM
Sangye is could be the sleep apnea that you mentioned that is causing the edema, and that can contribute to feeling worn out....I know you know all this.:rolleyes1:

marta
11-09-2010, 06:50 AM
Sangye - I class a good day as being one when I don't feel sick or ill, general pain levels are minor and I can walk using crutches with tolerable pain levels. I suppose that most people would class themselves as being pretty poorly if they were in a similar state, but it is all relative. What are your main problems at the moment? Is it still the Edema? I so wish you could find some way of relieving it. I wonder why it does not respond to treatment?

Jack and Sangye, it is all relative, but it doesn't make it OK. I feel like quite a whiney little baby compared to you guys. Yet you still manage to help me and others out everyday despite feeling so awful. I have no idea what to say other than I think about you lots and hope/pray/wish/will that someday (like NOW would be great) something miraculous happens that makes all this pain and suffereing go away for you.

Brooke
11-09-2010, 08:09 AM
Jack, happy to hear you were able to walk without your crutches! I bet that felt like a great accomplishment! Sorry, i can't remember Jack - do you also have joint involvment? Or is your weakness/soreness due to all of the medication?
Sangye, I hope you reach it to having good days, not just feeling less awful than the previous. When did all of this start? Meaning the feeling awful or less awful?

Jack
11-09-2010, 08:46 AM
I've been losing weight and suffering lower leg pain for around five years, but I was still able to get about although I had to give up work. I've had every test in the book and seen all the various departments, but no one can pin it down exactly. There are so many people on the forum with similar pain that I think it is another aspect of Wegener's. Falling down the stairs earlier in the year and breaking everything really knocked me back a long way and I'm still trying to recover from that. The sickness / illness feelings are mainly related to the condition of my digestive system which seems to have suffered due to 25 years of pill taking.

elephant
11-09-2010, 09:13 AM
Jack I was thinking about all that Bactrim you take too, I am taking Bactrim DS daily now. It's no fun.

Brooke
11-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Elephant - Why do you not like taking Bactrim, other than the fact it is another pill to take?

elephant
11-09-2010, 10:21 AM
It has many side effects , it took a year for the doctors to finally give in and have me on Bactrim. I have a kidney transplant and take a whole bunch of meds and they were worried that Bactrim would cause kidney failure. I think Bactrim is helping a little, but I am still getting infections.

Sangye
11-09-2010, 03:40 PM
Sangye, I hope you reach it to having good days, not just feeling less awful than the previous. When did all of this start? Meaning the feeling awful or less awful?
It's been this way since I was dx'ed, almost 4.5 yrs now.

Brooke
11-10-2010, 06:28 AM
Sangye- Sending good days your way!! I didn't realize you felt crappy most of the time and I suppose the edema isn't helping. Didn't you say you were looking to get a sleep study done?

drz
11-10-2010, 07:33 AM
I've been losing weight and suffering lower leg pain for around five years, but I was still able to get about although I had to give up work. I've had every test in the book and seen all the various departments, but no one can pin it down exactly. There are so many people on the forum with similar pain that I think it is another aspect of Wegener's. Falling down the stairs earlier in the year and breaking everything really knocked me back a long way and I'm still trying to recover from that. The sickness / illness feelings are mainly related to the condition of my digestive system which seems to have suffered due to 25 years of pill taking.

Is it neuropathy? Pain and weakness were my main symptoms as neuropathy became more pronounced in feet and legs. Nerve conduction tests confirmed the sensory and motor nerves were impaired and dying. The tests were a rather painful ordeal but it confirmed what was going on.

Jack
11-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Had all the nerve tests, electric shocks and the like, but nothing found.
With all the negative results, I must be a very healthy person! ;)

Palmyra
11-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Is it neuropathy? Pain and weakness were my main symptoms as neuropathy became more pronounced in feet and legs. Nerve conduction tests confirmed the sensory and motor nerves were impaired and dying. The tests were a rather painful ordeal but it confirmed what was going on.

Yes, it all sounds familiar regarding daughter A's ordeal. She over-extended her wrists to the point of requiring carpel tunnel surgery on both right and left hands in this past year (age of 24, diagnosed with WG for 4 years, Crohns since '99, all treated with combo TNF, sterroid and methotrexate type combo's).

We don't know if it is associated with the disease or the high doses of prednisone and related medications?

Any high powered thoughts within the group?

Hugs to all,
Mom Palmyra J to Alison

elephant
11-10-2010, 11:39 PM
Palmyra, about 5 years ago before diagnosis of WG I thought I had carpel tunnel syndrom, I even wore those protected wrist wraps to keep my wrist straight. I think it is the WG. But it could be a combo too prednisone and WG for your daughter.

Sangye
11-11-2010, 03:02 AM
Overextending the wrists often causes one of the wrist bones to get misaligned, which pushes on the median nerve (involved in carpal tunnel syndrome). It's a quick and easy chiropractic adjustment. If it happens again, have her see a chiropractor.

Since pred makes the ligaments too stretchy, it's easy to overextend the wrists and other joints. Even when you go off pred, adrenal weakness from pred and chronic illness will cause stretchy ligaments and tendons.

Jack
11-11-2010, 08:45 AM
Had a bit of a medical good housekeeping day today -

Saw my local GP about a small cyst in the corner of my eye and some scabby bits on my scalp. Decided to do nothing about the cyst as it is no trouble and got a referral to a dermatologist for the scalp. I get quite a few of these slightly cancerous bits that need freezing off so nothing to worry about.

Also made an appointment to see my Specialist at the hospital in a week's time. Since my increased mobility problems, I've let these appointments slip a bit and just gone in to give bloods, but it's time I went in for a chat and a review.

DEE
11-11-2010, 09:04 AM
Good one Jack , a good spring clean before christmas does us all good :thumbup:

elephant
11-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Keep up the good report card!

Sangye
11-11-2010, 10:48 AM
Good to hear, Jack. I hope it goes well with your Wegs doc. :smile1:

Brooke
11-12-2010, 02:17 AM
Good luck with the dr!!

Jack
11-12-2010, 04:57 AM
Damn! Think I must have picked up a bug of some sort and have spent almost the entire day camped out in the bathroom! It seems to be getting better now, but I've had nothing much to eat or drink and I must say that I have felt better! :(

Not one of the Good Days! ;)

DEE
11-12-2010, 05:07 AM
Sorry to hear its been a not so good day Jack take care of you DEEx:hug1:

Brooke
11-12-2010, 07:02 AM
Get well soon Jack!!! :thumbsup:

brocky99
11-12-2010, 07:08 AM
Hope you feel better tomorrow Jack lots of bugs going round at mo x

chrisTIn@
11-12-2010, 08:16 AM
Damn! Think I must have picked up a bug of some sort...

Hope you beat the bug Jack!
Get well soon! :smile1:

marta
11-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Take care Jack. Lots of bugs going on around here too.
Hope you feel better in no time and get back to some spring cleaning.

Jack
11-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Back to normal again today! :)

Fran
11-12-2010, 10:19 PM
- Hello Jack, Very glad you feel better today - hate to hear it when you are not your 'normal' self.

Take care of yourself - hope all goes well on your appointment.http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/images/editor/smilie.png (javascript://)

elephant
11-12-2010, 11:29 PM
Glad you are back to feeling better! Hope you had some good reading while you visited the Bath room. :)

chrisTIn@
11-12-2010, 11:36 PM
Back to normal again today! :)

Well. That's good news for sure. :smile1:

Sangye
11-13-2010, 01:52 AM
There now, you're all cleaned out! :biggrin1::blink:

Jack
11-13-2010, 02:11 AM
I understand that some people pay good money for that sort of thing! :w00t:

Jack
11-14-2010, 10:58 PM
One step forwards, two steps back! :mad1:

I'm getting sick of this. I've had a couple of very good days with walking and have had a couple of my unaided trips across the room without putting any strain on anything. Yay! some progress. Then this morning, I leant forward in my chair with my foot not quite straight and something in it went. Very similar to what happened to my hand last week. And in the same way, I was not really putting any strain on it when it happened.

I have a feeling that this is due to ligament weakness and was probably the cause of my leg problems earlier in the year that put me in a wheel chair. Never mind, I know that it will get better given time and rest and I can still stand if I am very careful.

I don't know how I can be any more cautious or look after myself any more than I do already. I don't know what the answer is. :sad:

DEE
11-15-2010, 12:22 AM
Oh dear Jack sorry its not a good day. hope it gets better soon thinking of you DEE x :hug1:

elephant
11-15-2010, 01:25 AM
Jack is your wegeners a little active? The reason why I ask is that before diagnosis if I walked up a hill the back of my knees would hurt and felt strained, if I played with my kids my arms and wrist feel strained...I am a fit person. Now I don't get strains anymore, but it could be the effects of prednsione too. Sorry that happened again to you Jack.

Jack
11-15-2010, 01:42 AM
It's always a worry isn't it? I had a minor nose bleed yesterday morning too, but nothing like the stuff I used to have when Wegener's was active. I'm keeping a look out for anything else unusual and have a clinic appointment for Friday so I can mention it then.

Sangye
11-15-2010, 02:29 AM
Jack, I think it'd be good to ask your doc about physical therapy. While the ligaments are the main supports for the joints, muscle strength and balance help keep the joints in proper positions so that ligaments aren't stressed. Ligament laxity caused by pred plus muscle atrophy is a bad combination that leaves you vulnerable to easy injuries like this.

I know I'm a broken record, but I'm going to suggest a pool again. You've got to get some muscle strength and it's the safest way to do it. Because of your present state, I think it'd be best to have a PT help you with it.

Also, because of the complexity of your condition, it might be best to see a physiatrist. That's an MD who specializes in functional medicine and rehab. Dr Seo had sent me to one and that's how I got started in the pool. They rehab amputees and stroke victims, along with people who are seriously deconditioned due to illness.

Jack
11-20-2010, 12:57 AM
Just back from my routine hospital appointment. Took bloods for around 10 different tests and had a chat with the doc who was a new guy that I had not seen before. He had a student with him so it was a chance to spread the word! ;)

Everything seems to be fine and he will let me know if there are any problems with today's tests. He was having a good moan about other docs not reacting when they were presented with multiple odd symptoms and also not checking kidney function. A simple and cheap urine dip test would immediately highlight a potential problem and then they could save a lot more patients from suffering failure as occurred in my case. :(

We also had a chat about the use of steroids for transplant and Wegener's. His opinion was that transplant patients were better off if steroids were stopped in spite of the increased risk of rejection, but he thought that it did seem to reduce flare ups of Wegener's and should generally be continued at a low dose. He thought that the 10mg I take was too much, but fully understood that I would probably not be able to get below that level given my history.

Sangye
11-20-2010, 01:35 AM
Great news, Jack. I'm glad your appointment went well and things are stable. Thanks for the added info about steroids and transplants. I hope Dunkie sees your post.

Even though I've never had kidney involvement, Dr Seo orders a urinalysis once a month. Nothing to do with my case in particular, just routine check for Weggies.

renidrag
11-20-2010, 02:01 AM
Good news Jack. My monthly bloods include urine to check the kidneys. All still good
Dale

Brooke
11-20-2010, 02:01 AM
Glad everything is going well for you Jack and I hope the blood tests com back good !
That is great you were able to spread the word a little more about Wegener's:biggrin1:

chrisTIn@
11-22-2010, 07:04 AM
Jack. I read in one of your messages here ont he WG-forum that you had renal-failure without any warning signs.
That scared me to death.

Is there really no sign at all when your kidney's fail? I'd like to know...

Jack
11-22-2010, 07:30 AM
I'm afraid that it is true. I had lots of what I now recognise as Wegener's symptoms - sinus, joints, skin and general lack of energy so I was not feeling at my best by any means, but nothing that indicated renal failure. Even my regulation of water was still functioning, even though my kidneys were not doing the rest of their job. The ENT ward in the hospital where I was staying did not recognise that I was in serious trouble because they did none of the routine blood tests or even urine tests that they perhaps should have done. They were, after all, looking for a sinus infection. A little internet research has confirmed that renal failure is often asymptomatic and can cause death by a Potassium induced heart attack.

drz
11-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Jack. I read in one of your messages here ont he WG-forum that you had renal-failure without any warning signs.
That scared me to death.

Is there really no sign at all when your kidney's fail? I'd like to know...

Kidney failure can happen quickly and you won't feel any changes till too late. Frequent lab work is only way to recognize it and get a handle on treatment before it is too late. I lost a lot of kidney function in the first few days of hospital stay before diagnosis but was lucky to have enough recovery after treatment started to avoid dialysis but kidney function is still only about half of what it was before diagnosis of Wegener's. A lot of signs of kidney failure are same as for Wegener's--shortness of breath, fatigue, poor endurance etc.

Jack
11-22-2010, 10:17 PM
At my last Renal Clinic visit the doc was despairing that a couple of simple urine dip tests were not a routine part of hospital treatment. These would immediately ring alarm bells if anything was going wrong and are super cheap and easy to perform. I expect that a good proportion of his patients could have been saved by this early treatment.

Jack
11-23-2010, 07:19 AM
http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/members/jack-albums-test-picture142-dsc07220small.jpg

Sorry to have to tell you that Bobby did not make a recovery and we took him to the vet this evening. :crying:

He would not have enjoyed winter without Amber to keep him warm and he was going steadily downhill in spite of constant antibiotics. Such a shame, he was such a lovely, friendly rabbit who just loved to be stroked and fussed. We are all very upset.

elephant
11-23-2010, 07:21 AM
Sorry Jack for your loss. Those bunnies are so adorable.

DEE
11-23-2010, 07:41 AM
oh dear Jack they look really cute too x

Brooke
11-23-2010, 08:43 AM
Aww, sorry Jack. They are soo cute. At least they are together now. Sorry for your loss.

pberggren1
11-23-2010, 09:59 AM
I know what it is like to loose such a beloved pet. I am sorry for your loss Jack.

Sangye
11-23-2010, 10:46 AM
Oh Jack, I'm so sad for you and your family. Our animals are so precious to us. I smile just looking at that picture of Bobby and Amber. Thank you for taking such loving care of them all these years. Take care of yourself. :hug2:

renidrag
11-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Sorry for your loss Jack.
Dale

Fran
11-23-2010, 10:34 PM
It's heartbreakingly painful to lose ones beloved pets and I really feel for you and the family - so sorry for your loss Jack.

Fran

janNaz
11-24-2010, 03:26 PM
Such a sweet picture, Jack. I'm sorry to hear of you and your family's loss. Take good care of yourself.

Nikk
11-24-2010, 04:16 PM
I'm sorry about your bunnies, they were absolutely precious.

chrisTIn@
11-24-2010, 10:47 PM
They both look so soft and lovely.
I regret your loss very much.

Big hug for you. :hug2:

Col 23
11-25-2010, 03:36 AM
Sorry to hear of the loss of your pet, I think animals get Wegs.
They bring a lot of joy and love. Thinking of you, Col 23

Jack
11-27-2010, 07:04 AM
Looks like we are going to be having a rescue cat. I'm quite looking forward to the company during the day now that my daughter has gone off to university. We have to be checked out for suitability first.:blink:

Sangye
11-27-2010, 08:12 AM
That's great, Jack. I'm glad you're going to have some furry company. :smile1:

Geoff
11-27-2010, 08:32 AM
We have to be checked out for suitability first.:blink:
I have to say this cracks me up. My son and his wife went thru the same exercise when they took on a rescue cat. Just for a moment when they were going thru the questions and answer forms I thought they were adopting 'real' children!! The lady checked out the address and questioned the proximity of a busy road, was there somewhere the car could stay in the warm during the day, how long would it be left alone etc. I thought it was all over after the cat was brought home but no, they phoned up to check how things were going, I almost put the cat on the phone to reply for itself!! Best of Luck Jack, try and find one that doesnt wail to Mr Cohen's music!

Sangye
11-27-2010, 08:56 AM
Our temple runs a dog rescue, and we do extensive interviews and home visits before authorizing an adoption. It's the mark of a quality rescue organization to do this, actually. It prevents the kinds of adoptions that too often lead to animal abuse or neglect, an animal being returned to the rescue (or worse, to a shelter that kills unadopted animals) or an animal having a life that is less than optimal. Many people adopt an animal on a lark or because it's a cute little puppy or kitten, but they don't have any idea what it takes to provide a great home for them. Some adoptions result in a perfectly fine animal becoming aggressive, neurotic or otherwise damaged. You wouldn't believe what can happen.

Luce
11-28-2010, 07:16 AM
Sorry to hear about poor Bob, Jack. It is so hard to say goodbye to our furry friends and both Amber and Bobby were gorgeous bunnies.
Good news about the rescue cat, we have huge numbers of animas here that need a oving home - rescue centres do wonderfu work but just cannot cope at the moment.

I hope your new furry friend moves in rea soon.

uce
XxX

(Sorry about the ack of (etter between K and M)'s in this post, I seem to have mispaced them at the moment.

Jack
11-28-2010, 07:23 AM
We all went to the cat rescue place this afternoon and after long debate it looks like we will be having a new member of the family -
Animal Info - Wythall Animal Sanctuary (http://www.wythallanimalsanctuary.org.uk/animal-info.php?section=rehoming&animalid=268)
She may have a name change to Jennie.

Sangye
11-28-2010, 10:04 AM
Aww, she's really cute! Does her status refer to her adoption potential or her current mood? :laugh:

marta
11-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Very sorry to hear about your fuzzy loss Jack - I know how much it hurts to lose a fuzzy friend and the hole it can leave behind.
I am very happy to see that a few lives will be enhanced with your new adoption however.
She is a fine looking specimen, and totally looks like a cool cat that will love chillin' to Cohen with you.

pberggren1
11-28-2010, 08:02 PM
She looks alot like our Siamese momma kitty at the farm 20 years back. What a cutie.

chrisTIn@
11-29-2010, 12:34 AM
She may have a name change to Jennie.

Why is that?
I think 'Jaden' is a beautifull name...:unsure:

Brooke
11-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Cute cat Jack!

Geoff
12-01-2010, 06:03 AM
She's Beautiful Jack.

Just keep her away from the Pred!!

marta
12-01-2010, 06:40 AM
ha ha ha, that's funny Geoff.

jola57
12-02-2010, 04:06 AM
Hi Geoff, it was nice talking to you and next time we will meet for sure,
Jack, I'm sorry about your furry friend, but your big heart will be a safe haven for the new arrival

Jack
12-02-2010, 04:55 AM
We have now been declared as suitable and Jennie? will be collected on Saturday.

Sangye
12-02-2010, 05:02 AM
Yay! A nice soft kitty is just what you need right now, Jack. :smile1:

DEE
12-02-2010, 05:10 AM
:thumbsup::thumbsup: great news Jack:thumbsup:

elephant
12-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Good news Jack and enjoy!

Jack
12-05-2010, 05:55 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c56/1955diesel/Jennie.jpg

Jennie has now moved in and seems to be a very friendly cat with lots of licking and purring. She has only been with us for a few hours, but things are looking good for her settling in well.

Brooke
12-05-2010, 05:56 AM
She is so cute!

DEE
12-05-2010, 06:17 AM
glad you have your new friend to sfay sde is soooooo cute :mad1:

DEE
12-05-2010, 06:19 AM
sorry about sp

elephant
12-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Beautiful Jack.

Sangye
12-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Aww, she's adorable!

jola57
12-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Jack, she is so cute and looks just like my rip cat Coalie. He lived to a ripe old age of 20.

Jack
12-07-2010, 09:52 PM
Thanks for all the comments, Jaden is very flattered, but not at all surprised. ;)

Yes, Jaden, became Jennie for a while, but now seems to have reverted back to Jaden again. I suppose that is the best way for a name to be chosen. :)

Sangye
12-08-2010, 02:06 AM
LOL That happened when I adopted my dog Patch. His foster mom had named him. I thought it sounded like a kindergarten named him, and I told her I'd be changing it. I didn't mean to hurt her. I truly thought she just named him that casually, knowing it would change. She looked crestfallen and said, "But he likes it." For about a week I kept trying on other names but nothing would stick. I finally had to concede that Patch was truly his name. She was thrilled when I told her.

When I adopted my dog Lotus from the shelter, she had the name Oreo. I was like "NO WAY." It didn't fit her at all. The name Lotus was perfect. Lotus Blossoms, actually. :biggrin1:

jola57
12-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Lol, for 2 days after my oldest son was born I couldn't decide on the name, I had Robert and Alexander and just could not pick. But after those 2 days it was so clear that he was Robert.

Sangye
12-09-2010, 01:13 AM
When I was practicing, half my patients were kids and babies, many newborns. Most of the time when parents decided on a name it seemed right. But every so often it felt like the wrong name. I never said anything of course. By the time they were toddlers the name still didn't fit. I didn't know what their name should be, though. Parents who decided on the name after the baby was born seemed more likely to get it right. My parents had a name picked out for me but knew it was wrong when I was born.

chrisTIn@
12-17-2010, 10:20 PM
How is nice, shiny Jaden doing today? :smile1:

Jack
12-17-2010, 10:36 PM
She is still living up to our best expectations, very friendly, does not bite or scratch and lets our daughter pick her up all the time even though it is not what she wants to do. However, my picture of sitting here with her on my lap has not happened because she prefers to sleep on a bed all day. She tends to come down at about tea time when the house gets busier. For the past two years, she had a home of her own, but they got a new kitten and took Jaden back to the sanctuary where she came from! I can't imagine anyone doing that when she is such a good cat with no problems.

I'll tell her you were asking after her. :biggrin1:
I'm sure it is only what she would expect.

Jack
01-10-2011, 10:27 PM
I have a Dermatologist appointment this afternoon, but I've just had two busy days and today I'm paying for it. I really don't want to leave the house and would rather just go back to bed! :(
I'll have an hour's nap and then a cup of coffee to help me on my way.

elephant
01-10-2011, 11:08 PM
Sounds like a good plan, good luck at the Dermatologist!

Jack
01-11-2011, 06:45 AM
Spent half the morning snoozing in the chair and the other half in the bathroom.

Went to the Dermatologist and he burned off six areas of damaged skin with Liquid Nitrogen. Seemed to hurt a lot more than previous occasions and I was in quite a lot of pain when I got home - more coffee and sleep seem to have cured it, but I'm starting to run out of day now. I have a follow up in three months. (Sangye will be having a fit at me medicating with coffee!)

I think this one goes down as a Bad Day! But the sun will shine tomorrow! :wink1:

Sangye
01-11-2011, 07:07 AM
Oh Jack, that sounds awful! I hope it'll be okay by tomorrow. Caffeine, ahem. :rolleyes1:

drz
01-11-2011, 07:23 AM
Spent half the morning snoozing in the chair and the other half in the bathroom.

Went to the Dermatologist and he burned off six areas of damaged skin with Liquid Nitrogen. Seemed to hurt a lot more than previous occasions and I was in quite a lot of pain when I got home - more coffee and sleep seem to have cured it, but I'm starting to run out of day now. I have a follow up in three months. (Sangye will be having a fit at me medicating with coffee!)

I think this one goes down as a Bad Day! But the sun will shine tomorrow! :wink1:

Any problems in your area with the flu epidemic like in London?

How is your skin damaged? Is that from Wegener's or side effect of Wegener's treatment? It sounds painful and likely to leave you itching for some time as it heals.

Is the cat still on good behavior?

Jack
01-11-2011, 08:11 AM
I have not heard of anyone around here getting flu although I'm sure some have. It does not seem to be a major problem and both myself and wife had had shots.

I have had ongoing issues with various types of cancerous or precancerous skin conditions since a few years after treatment began. I'm not sure if this is due to ctx, Wegener's or some other combination of drugs. All I know is that my skin behaves as if I spend my life in the sun whereas the reality is that I almost never sit in it or even spend much time outdoors. I've had four areas removed surgically and three or four sessions with Nitrogen.

Jaden/Jennie is turning out to be a really good cat. She is obviously still settling into her new home and her behaviour is changing as she comes to trust us and relax more. She has only been out doors for a few seconds before running back into the house, so that is to be her next big move.

elephant
01-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Jack, the procedure sounds scary. Hope your day is sunny tomorrow. :)

DEE
01-11-2011, 08:36 PM
Jack wishing you a better day :hug1:

DEEx

Jack
01-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Woke up this morning feeling great (by my standards), weird isn't it? I wonder what is going on that might be responsible for the good day / bad day syndrome.

LisaMarie
01-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Glad today is better Jack....Hey try some chocolate with your coffee and it is all good ...high % chocolate is better for you and releases good andorphines to make you happy and feel good and the coffee just helps u ingest it faster ...psst and don't tell Sanyge...but i can not survive without at least I cup of good old strong thick as mud coffee or an expresso spanish style...We are snowed in here ...so my bones ache and i am up early ...so off to make my coffee and have a bit of chocolate....have a good day

vincelv
01-11-2011, 11:24 PM
Thats good to hear that your feeling good..hey i like that coffee and chocolate thing..lol but my apitite on pred would make me eat the whole box..lol :w00t:

Sangye
01-12-2011, 06:23 AM
ROTFL Lisa Marie you are totally corrupting Jack and Vince! :laugh:

Glad to hear you're doing great today, Jack. :thumbsup:

LisaMarie
01-12-2011, 07:26 AM
it'd not corruption it is Mixing the bad with the good...and Vincent trust me it is hard not to eat the whole box ...try dropping one piece in your coffee then putting the box up ....also milk duds are a great way to let your mind catch up with our emotional....sometimes inappropriate mouth...another trade secret ...

LisaMarie
01-12-2011, 07:29 AM
sorry but you all know milk duds go hand and hand with predni:flapper:

LisaMarie
01-12-2011, 07:30 AM
it keeps pred rage under control

elephant
01-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Twix, health bar, M&Ms and kitkat .....that keeps the rage very under control for me. :)

Sangye
01-13-2011, 03:15 AM
I'm just posting a comment to say "No comment." :rolleyes1:

LisaMarie
01-13-2011, 05:20 AM
I'm just posting a comment to say "No comment." :rolleyes1:
oh come on I figuire we would get a liitle more rise out of you...you must not be feeling well today....atleast i recommend the good high% chocolate first..lol...you know we love you ...we just have to be living on the edge every know and then...have a great day
Jack hope you are having a good day today

Sangye
01-13-2011, 05:25 AM
I'm feeling horrible today. Fallout from the failed sleep study. Last time it took me a week to recover and I wasn't feeling so bad going into it. :sad:

DEE
01-13-2011, 07:33 AM
Take care of you Sangye :hug3::hug2::hug2:

elephant
01-13-2011, 08:23 AM
Sangye sorry you not feeling good. :hug2:

Palmyra
01-14-2011, 02:57 AM
I'm feeling horrible today. Fallout from the failed sleep study. Last time it took me a week to recover and I wasn't feeling so bad going into it. :sad:

:ohmy:One day at a time dear Sangye....I am not sick, and I have days were the bed calls to me like a siren's song. I listen to the call for awhile, and then when I am ready, things slowly come back to a more normal pace. No curling up into a fetal position for too long, as it is cramped in there!!

Wishing you well

LisaMarie
01-15-2011, 02:07 PM
hope u r feeling better sangye...i failed my sleep ox off o2 and did a bit better with 2 liters o2....no c-pap because of my stenosis in my trach....and I am at 50% occluded..so we do not want to irriate it any more have a great weekend

Sangye
01-16-2011, 02:49 AM
I'm glad they caught that, Lisa Marie. I know you want to be off oxygen (I sure did-- what a major pain) but you kinda need it to survive.... :wink1: Do you still need it in the daytime?

Jack
01-21-2011, 09:24 PM
Too Many Posts

It must be a sign of the Forum's popularity, but I can no longer keep up with all the new posts. I used to be able to read them all and follow members progress because there were only ever a handful of frequent posters at any one time. I felt that I knew them quite well and usually had some comment to add to the thread. It has all become too much for me now and I have had to resort to skimming through posts or even just marking them all as read. This makes it more difficult to understand and make any sort of useful comment so if I seem a bit quiet sometimes it will just be because I am taking a break and trying to catch up on some reading. I have an unopened book next to me that has been there since Christmas!

Hope everyone is as well as they can be and that you are all about to have one of the Good Days! :thumbsup:

elephant
01-21-2011, 11:27 PM
Jack same here, I am thrilled that many have joined this forum. I will try to read through them and comment when I can. Again I am so happy that more are coming on to share their stories.

Sangye
01-22-2011, 04:10 PM
LOL Me too! I'm glad you told us, Jack. I was worried that your increased silence meant you weren't feeling well.

DEE
01-22-2011, 10:29 PM
Glad you told us Jack ,just need to let us know your ok now and then please :hug1:

Jack
01-22-2011, 11:58 PM
I won't be going far. I still scan through the list of new posts every day to see if any new subjects have come up and I have to keep up to date with the Sangye Saga! :cool1:

Sangye
01-23-2011, 02:22 AM
LOL New info today! (Not very exciting, just some stuff from yesterday :wink1: )

Brooke
01-25-2011, 02:39 AM
I feel the same way Jack! Hard to keep up with all of the new posts! I think it is because I have been feeling good and I am out and about doing things. I think I have probably received more advice than I have given. I really appreciate it though!

drz
01-25-2011, 10:16 AM
I feel the same way Jack! Hard to keep up with all of the new posts! I think it is because I have been feeling good and I am out and about doing things. I think I have probably received more advice than I have given. I really appreciate it though!

There were only nine new posts today. I think it is great to see more people posting more things but it seemed to me the number of posts has decline a little recently. It used to take me longer to look at them all and now it only takes a few minutes.

Brooke
01-25-2011, 10:53 AM
I agree drz, I noticed that today. I should have mentioned that it is great that so many people are posting, didn't want it to sound like it was a bad thing :thumbsup:

Sangye
01-25-2011, 12:54 PM
It ebbs and flows. I've noticed that there are generally fewer posts on the weekends and Mondays.

But, if a lot of people really have stopped posting then we'll just blame it on Jack for bringing it up in the first place. :laugh::blink:

Jack
01-25-2011, 09:45 PM
You are right. Very few posts today! What have I done? :scared:

DEE
01-26-2011, 06:10 AM
Jack i dont think its anything you have done I think its that a few of the regular people are either back at work or dealing with medical issues

Sangye
01-26-2011, 06:17 AM
No, Jack is clearly responsible for driving away hordes of new members. :flapper: