PDA

View Full Version : hemorrhoids

elephant
03-29-2010, 11:32 AM
I know this is a sore subject, but I have a hemorrhoid as big as a grape. The surgeon gave me some hydrocortisone supp to bring it down. Preparation H cause's my blood pressure to go up. Does anyone have any other remedies to get this darn Hemorrhoid off my butt!
If this does not go down soon, I will be making little outfits for my big hemorrhoid!

Sangye
03-29-2010, 11:51 AM
If this does not go down soon, I will be making little outfits for my big hemorrhoid!
ROTFL-- I hear they like tiny hats.

Have you tried Witch Hazel or yarrow (achillea) compresses? There's a good product by Wise Woman Herbs called Bottoms Up Balm. It's great for hemorrhoids.

Normally I'd recommend a supplement to take orally, but they're contraindicated with Wegs (they act by tonifying the veins systemically-- could cause problems with Wegs)

elephant
03-29-2010, 12:11 PM
Yes, the tiny little hat would be darling with the little outfits! Sangye can I get this Bottoms up at Whole foods store? Thanks for helping out. This friend that I am carrying around needs to go right now! Ouch!

Sangye
03-29-2010, 12:16 PM
I'm picturing a little elf hat for some reason.

I don't know if Whole Foods has it. I googled it and found it on Amazon.com. Remembering that Amazon.com also sells used books, that's the first time I was very happy to see the price for a "new" bottle. :D :D :D

Jack
03-29-2010, 05:26 PM
And on to the next lovely subject................. ;)

I have had terrible problems with hemorrhoids - a bunch of grapes and copious bleeding! The rectal surgeon will not give me a full hemorroidectomy due to the risks being too high, but has banded some of the more troublesome ones on a couple of occasions. I find that the best course of action is to avoid any straining when going to the bathroom and using the shower instead of toilet paper. A bit of a nuisance, but worth it. I have resorted to creams in the past with limited success.

elephant
03-29-2010, 08:26 PM
Thanks Jack, I think I will sit and soak these annoying uninvited guests!

Jack
03-29-2010, 09:35 PM
That works too. Sitting in the bath seems to give some relief.

Jack
03-31-2010, 03:26 AM
I don't think I'll be taking you up on that!

It is odd how this problem has become the source of so much humor. I had thrombosed hemorrhoids a while back and it was one of the most painful conditions that I've experienced. I spent two weeks laying on my side in bed - not funny at all. :(

coffeelover
04-02-2010, 03:54 AM
What I found out with hemmroids is that it takes time for them to go down. I also get them when I am not following that high fiber diet. It seems that when I stray and eat the processed junk that is when the hemoroids pop up. So eat heavy fiber diet. Beans, fiber one bars, salads, mushrooms etc. It is all good stuff.....why I stray I'll never figure out.

Lisa

jola57
04-03-2010, 04:55 AM
Funny how the butt of our jockes is realy a pain in the butt

Sangye
04-03-2010, 07:21 AM
I hope you get some relief, Elephant!

elephant
04-03-2010, 09:05 AM
Me too. Hoping I don't have surgery! Heard it was painful. :(

Sangye
04-11-2010, 11:46 AM
I'm so glad it's improved, though half a bunch of grapes are still too many. :)

Sangye
04-21-2010, 02:05 AM
Have your hemorrhoids continued to improve?

Do you have any symptoms that raise a red flag about colon cancer? Personally, I'm not into invasive tests like that unless there are indications for it. (Many would disagree with me, of course!) Also, since you're on pred, the risk of injury and infection is higher. Did he discuss that?

Being on immunosuppressants long-term does increase your chance of cancer in general. Without a family history or other signs/symptoms of colon cancer, it seems odd to just look for it there.

I hope you feel better! You've been through a lot lately.

coffeelover
04-24-2010, 08:30 AM
Hello Elephant...sorry for the long delay in my response. Actually my hemorroids never completely go away, but they do shrink with a high fiber diet, lots of water and the cream applications daily. It is just another thing to do in my day...but it does work...because when I stop, they come back.
If you have never had a colonoscopy then go ahead and have one. The prep is the worse, the actual procedure is nothing and it could save your life.
Tell me again why you do not want to band them? My thought is anything that works...do it!
Well keeping you a rears of an uncomfortable condition.
Lisa

jola57
04-24-2010, 03:24 PM
elephant, yes it is a good idea after all the meds we take to have a looksee. I too am dreading the colonoscopy, I should have had one last year. I have had 2 and hated the prep, I can still taste the citromag ugh

Sangye
04-24-2010, 10:47 PM
I seem to recall someone saying there are two kinds of prep and that maybe (??) one is used for people with kidney issues. I think it's less common. Just thought I'd add my completely confused two cents. :D

Doug
04-25-2010, 01:05 AM
I seem to recall someone saying there are two kinds of prep and that maybe (??) one is used for people with kidney issues. I think it's less common. Just thought I'd add my completely confused two cents. :D

There is a pill you can be prescribed. Sorry, but I don't recall the name of it. I believe Sangye is exactly right about the kidney issue business, and this is why- nag, nag, nag- we weggies need to keep all doctors involved in our care aware that we are weggies, that we have had specific experiences with the disease (kidney involvement is a good example) that may require a different approach to common tests or treatments. All I know is the pill worked quite well (!), and my biggest problem when I had a colonoscopy was that I had to go out of town to have it. That was a long road trip, after the night I'd had before! The procedure itself was nothing, though there are risks one should be aware of up front: ask your doctor, hit the internet.

jola57
04-26-2010, 04:48 PM
Thanks Sangye and Doug. I will ask for the pill for sure. I don't think I would be able to keep the citromag down these days.