PDA

View Full Version : abbreviations

moyan
03-27-2010, 11:31 PM
I found just what I wanted on Google. Maybe I am just a slowpoke but...
"Medical abbreviations", a lot of them.

Sangye
03-28-2010, 12:59 AM
Google is my friend. :D

Lightwarrior
03-28-2010, 12:17 PM
Google is my friend. :D

Mine too. When Chris was little I said I love green beans and he said "Hey grandma, do you want to marry them??" So now whenever I love something I say I want to marry it. SO......I want to marry google. (lol)

Sangye
03-28-2010, 01:02 PM
LOL-- A couple years before I got diagnosed, I got a new commuter bike. It's a hybrid mountain bike/street bike. I'd had a mountain bike for years and was always uncomfortable on it, like pushing lead. The new bike was awesome. I had so much fun riding it everywhere and couldn't stop telling my friends about it the first couple weeks. One day I told a friend, "I love my bike soooo much!" He answered, "Then why don't you marry it?" :D

elephant
03-28-2010, 11:17 PM
I drive my daughter and a little boy to preschool and they sit in the back seat and say, " Hey do you want to marry that tree? Do you want to marry that Stop sign? Do you want to marry my mom? Do you want to marry that dog poop?"

Sangye
03-28-2010, 11:48 PM
LOL-- priceless. :D

Kimbangu
03-29-2010, 07:11 PM
This is interesting, and quite timely because I was intending to ask a question about the use of abbreviations on this forum. I know it must get tedious typing out the full medical names ( I am already finding that myself) but for people who are just starting off with Wegener's the abbreviations on this forum get kind of confusing. Would it be possible to have a sticky with all the more common ones on it?

One example...CTX is listed on Wiki Medical abbreviations as "ceftriaxone, a third generation cephalosporin antibiotic"(?) and the correct abbreviation for cyclophosphamide seems to be listed as "CHOP" .......(?) There is no medication listed under the abbreviation "RTX".

I worked out "DX" ( diagnosis) for myself! - I suppose eventually I'll get the hang of all these informal abbreviations but given my limited mental capacity, the abbreviations can be difficult for a newcomer.

Jack
03-29-2010, 09:39 PM
I agree with you .
Most of these abbreviations are informal and have been adopted on the forum over time. It must be very confusing to newcomers. Would a request not to use them be effective or are they too firmly entrenched now?

pberggren1
03-29-2010, 11:15 PM
I have no problem using the full names.

Sangye
03-30-2010, 12:30 AM
I'd rather use the abbreviations! I listed most of the ones we use recently. I don't remember if I started a thread or added to an existing one. It'd be great to make it a sticky. Can someone search for it?

JanW
03-30-2010, 01:12 AM
I'm with Sangye! Most likely the issue with abbreviations is actually not knowing the names of the medications -- if you know about rituximab, for instance, you can figure out what rtx is pretty quickly. Would be great if there could be a sticky with common meds/abbreviations though.

Sangye
03-30-2010, 01:27 AM
Found it. The thread I started is called "Common Abbreviations."
http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/general-wg-chat/579-common-abbrevations.html

moyan
03-30-2010, 02:18 AM
I'd rather use the abbreviations! I listed most of the ones we use recently. I don't remember if I started a thread or added to an existing one. It'd be great to make it a sticky. Can someone search for it?

I started the thread and you added. There are still a lot that can be added. I sometimes skip a post because the sentence doesn't give a clou and going to Google takes time. Talk kitchen terms and I know a lot, medical 0.

Sangye
03-30-2010, 02:23 AM
Moyan-- different thread. See the one right above your message (which is right above this one...) :D

moyan
03-30-2010, 02:29 AM
Moyan-- different thread. See the one right above your message (which is right above this one...) :D

Hi Sangye, one was started a few months ago and that was "homemade" by you and I. Unfortunatly it never came as "sticky", hence the Google one. :)

Kimbangu
03-30-2010, 03:48 AM
That's great...I thought this must have come up B4......I did look but I just couldn't find it.

THX....!

moyan
03-30-2010, 05:02 AM
Sorry, Sangye, now I think I remember how it went. I asked you for clarification of abbreviations and gave you a few, you made a thread and added and translated all. My bad!

Sangye
03-30-2010, 06:13 AM
LOL-- no need to apologize Moyan. I wasn't even sure I'd done it until I went searching. My thinking has been extra muddled the past few months. It's really driving me crazy.

moyan
03-30-2010, 08:08 AM
My thinking has been extra muddled the past few months. It's really driving me crazy.

Makes 2 of us: I switched the dentist app with a doc !! And I used to be very organised. But, as you know, it is the prednisone :)

elephant
03-30-2010, 10:36 AM
Prednisone really spaces me out too. It's a good time to go to another planet!