PDA

View Full Version : Melatonin?

pberggren1
03-25-2010, 10:46 PM
I've got a question for all of you out there.

A few months ago I bought a product called Sleep Sense by Lorna Vanderhaeghe. It consists of 3mg of Melatonin and 1500mcg of B12.

It says on the back of the bottle to not use if you are taking immuo-suppresive drugs.

Should I avoid this like the plague seeing as I am on Cellcept?

Jack
03-25-2010, 11:06 PM
In a word - "Yes!"
How clear would you like them to be? ;)

Sangye
03-26-2010, 01:15 AM
LOL.... Phil there's some controversy over melatonin and immuno-suppression. I don't know if the research has clearly shown a link or if the research that does has been done properly. (Medical research on nutritional supplements or herbs is often poorly conducted) I really have no idea. It's best to ask your rheumy or just chuck it.

JanW
03-26-2010, 01:53 AM
I wouldn't take it until I consulted my rheumy about it, that's for sure.

pberggren1
03-26-2010, 03:07 AM
Thanks guys.

You sure have a good sense of humor Jack. I think I just needed reassurance from you guys.

renidrag
03-26-2010, 09:57 PM
a little wordy Jack

Jack
03-26-2010, 10:50 PM
Sorry!

Big blocks of print put me off so I like to get straight to the point. :)

Sangye
03-27-2010, 12:29 AM
a little wordy jack
LOL-- you have such a good sense of humor, Dale! :D

Kimbangu
03-27-2010, 04:27 AM
melatonin's banned in nearly every country in Europe. The thing is, it's a hormone which your body produces naturally. If you start taking melatonin, your body stops producing its own so you end up no better off. I used to buy it in the States and tried it a few times over the years ( before I fell into Dr. Wegener's clutches) to combat jet lag, shift work etc. I certainly wouldn't touch it now.

I think it is probably only good for elderly people whose bodies have stopped making melatonin naturally. I wasn't aware of the controversy over melatonin and immuno-suppression.... now I am worried!

JanW
03-27-2010, 04:29 AM
I didn't realize that, Kimbangu. I guess it's like predinose -- once you start taking it your body stops making steroids and what's dangerous about that is that it can takes many months before that natural response kicks in again. Which is bad because then your body can't respond effectively to extreme stress (e.g. accident, injury, surgery).

Sangye
03-27-2010, 09:45 AM
I may be wrong, but I think the issue is that melatonin stimulates the immune system. So if you're on an immunosuppressant, it would work against the drug. I'm not entirely sure about this and am just too pooped to Google it. It doesn't make sense that melatonin would suppress the immune system since it's made by the body in response to sunlight.

Lola
03-27-2010, 02:29 PM
Sorry!

Hah! I'll bet my posts REALLY put you off, Jack! (Insert smiley face. I don't know how to add them in properly.)

Doug
03-28-2010, 03:29 PM
Sorry!

Then my recent lapses from participation must have been a refreshing pause for you!

I agree with you, actually. When people have long entries, they should type out the whole thing, then go back and see where entering a blank line to denote a new paragraph might help readability.

People like me (windbags) need to go back and delete extraneous crap, stylistic flourishes, run-on sentences, any content that doesn't tell your story.

[Louie the Ginger Cat- in Avatar above, Tyrannosaurus rex mode, further elucidates: "Rowr!"]

Jack
03-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Hi Doug,

Yes, I did breath a sigh of relief when you stopped posting! ;)

Welcome back - just ramble away.

Doug
03-28-2010, 09:47 PM
Hi Doug,

Yes, I did breath a sigh of relief when you stopped posting! ;)

Welcome back - just ramble away.

Actually had one that wouldn't post today/tonight because it wasn't up to the 10 letters minimum, so I typed xx, to suggest eyes snuffed out by bad doctoring or whatever.
It worked.

pberggren1
03-28-2010, 10:43 PM
You guys are so funny!!!

elephant
03-28-2010, 11:50 PM
I think I am pretty short and sweet!

Lightwarrior
03-29-2010, 01:25 PM
I think I am pretty short and sweet!

I'm sweet, not so short or pretty right now, I've slept all day, made the decision to stay home tommorrow.

Doug
03-29-2010, 01:30 PM
Good for you, Lightwarrior!

Sangye
03-29-2010, 01:32 PM
Happy to hear that, Lightwarrior. :)

Lola
03-29-2010, 01:34 PM
That can be a huge decision, Lightwarrior - guilt inducing. Congratulations.

elephant
03-29-2010, 09:37 PM
Glad your resting Lightwarrior! Enjoy reading a good book or comedy on TV. Or just plain vegetate!

Lightwarrior
03-30-2010, 07:27 AM
Glad your resting Lightwarrior! Enjoy reading a good book or comedy on TV. Or just plain vegetate!

Thanks, I just feel sooooooooo miserable, my kidneys are sore and my eyes are swollen and dry, I'm just vegging and trying to stay hydrated. My eyes are too swollen to read, I can't be sure if I'm spelling everything right.

Sangye
03-30-2010, 07:43 AM
Oh Lighwarrior, I'm so sad to hear how sick you are! I'm worried about your kidneys most of all. I don't think they should be sore like that. Can anyone else chime in on this?

JanW
03-30-2010, 07:48 AM
I know nothing about kidneys, but Lightwarrior, I'm really concerned about you! Do you need further medical assistance/intervention. I hope you will be okay soon -- it just sounds a little like a crisis from where I sit. I am thinking really good thoughts for you.

Jack
03-30-2010, 07:54 AM
During the period when my kidneys were failing they used to hurt like hell when I was under stress. I'm not saying that this is the problem, but you need to be very sure of your kidney condition if they are hurting.

elephant
03-30-2010, 08:14 AM
When my kidneys were failing my lower back hurt. LIght warrior can you get the urine dip sticks and check your urine often. I have them at home. Sorry you are so sick. Geez!

Alysia
03-07-2015, 03:54 AM
reading old posts of my sweet Phil... missing him...
I didn't know that we are not allowed to take melatonin.
not that I need it, sleeping about 10-12 at night, hoping to catch a visit of my Phil in my dreams....
but for others who wonder about it, this is a good thread.
and sad one.... my sweetie, Jack and lightwarior are not with us.... they had great sense of humor, prob making jokes with the angles up there now....

annekat
03-08-2015, 06:58 PM
I take melatonin sometimes, and I know some others on here do, too. (Pete, are you one?) I don't take it every night, or even at all lately, but would take it if I was having problems sleeping for night or a few nights in a row. I don't take the 3mg. that it comes in, I take either .75 or 1.5mg. If I was having chronic sleep problems and was using it all the time, I'd be worried about it, but since I'm not, I'm not.

Alysia, I'm glad you are getting so much good sleep, and that you see Phil in your dreams sometimes.

Pete
03-09-2015, 01:25 AM
I take melatonin sometimes, and I know some others on here do, too. (Pete, are you one?) I don't take it every night, or even at all lately, but would take it if I was having problems sleeping for night or a few nights in a row. I don't take the 3mg. that it comes in, I take either .75 or 1.5mg. If I was having chronic sleep problems and was using it all the time, I'd be worried about it, but since I'm not, I'm not.

Alysia, I'm glad you are getting so much good sleep, and that you see Phil in your dreams sometimes.

I have taken melatonin occasionally - especially when I was on high dose pred. Dr Villa Forte suggested I take no more than 3 mg about an hour before bedtime to help me sleep better. Once I was able to get at least 30 minutes of moderate exercise on a regular basis, my need for a sleep aid went away. I haven't used melatonin for about two years.

BookNut
03-10-2015, 03:18 PM
I have taken melatonin...but have found that benadryl quiets my cough AND helps me sleep. Never have sleeping problems except when I am on prednisone.

Alysia...I'm glad you added to this thread. It was nice to read things from Lightwarrior and Jack as well as Phil. Fun to see the humor in spite of the troubles. Such good people!

dawncelest
03-10-2015, 04:52 PM
Melatonin has worked well for me for when i have insomnia from time to time and definitely when i. Just too uncomfortable to sleep. . I just took one 24 mins ago lol