PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Rituxan, Wegs & A Brief Rant

Sangye
03-18-2010, 04:34 AM
There's been a lot of mention about the price of rtx and today I finally tracked down what my infusions have cost. It's roughly $10,000 for each infusion, which includes the drug and the infusion center charges at JHU. That would make a round of it (once a week for 4 wks) approximately $40,000. Consistent with what I've heard before.

For insurance to pay $40,000 every 6-12 months (or only once, if it induces lasting remission) is nothing compared to the much higher costs of active Wegs-- complications, hospitalizations, etc.... For example: Because of the extensive leg and lung clots I got early on, I was on injectable heparin (Lovenox) for 2.5 yrs at a monthly cost of $7,000. That alone cost them a whopping $210,000. Nothing compared to what my overall case has cost.

Insurance companies don't think long-term, though. They bank on us not surviving or on them being able to deny services or cancel our policies. I never took insurance in my office. They would authorize back surgery but limit the number of visits to a chiropractor, even though that's proven to be the best way to avoid ever needing back surgery.

Sangye
03-18-2010, 04:38 AM
I also learned that Medicare does not require prior authorization for rtx and it's billed through Part B, not the Part D prescription plan. This is because it's done at an infusion center. Of course, double check it at your center.