PDA

View Full Version : Low vitamin B12 ?

Shannon's faith
03-17-2010, 07:12 AM
Just found out that kidney functions are within normal range, and all other blood work is looking good, but I am still sick and the doc is still thinking that its wegs. All that I have are bad symptoms and hematuria and proteinuria and low B12. My nephrologist says that the biopsy of my kidney will confirm, does this sound familiar, I have had a sinus infection for 9 months that with antibiotics wont go away, and I have these things that are crusty growing in my nose. Most strange about my symptoms is my abdomen is very distended with ascites.BP is high and face is swollen around chin. I AM SO THIRSTY CONSTANTLY,, no im not diabetic either. Just complaining.....:(

Jack
03-17-2010, 07:22 AM
A renal biopsy will only confirm Wegener's if you are having kidney problems. It sounds more like a sinus biopsy is in order.

JanW
03-17-2010, 07:57 AM
Jack's right -- there has to be something in the organ/area that is affected by WG in order to confirm that you have it. Sinuses sound lik the closest thing for you -- however, it's tough to get enough biopsy material from there.

Shannon's faith
03-17-2010, 12:37 PM
My neph wants to biopsy my kidney due to the fact that I have protein and blood in my urine along with high bp.

JanW
03-17-2010, 12:45 PM
OK. Got it, so he suspects that with the blood and throwing protein there's a problem with the organ. Makes sense.

Sangye
03-17-2010, 12:55 PM
It's reasonable to biopsy the kidney under those circumstances, but please don't let him say you don't have Wegs if it comes back negative. Like any other tissue/organ, biopsies are not 100% and sometimes extensive tissue damage has to be present to demonstrate disease.