PDA

View Full Version : Cut not healing- advice please

MCC
03-09-2010, 01:57 PM
Hi Guys,
I managed to drop a display board on my foot last Thursday and cut it open in two places. It's only small cuts but they have gone red, weepy and are not healing.

I saw a nurse yesterday and she said it doesn't look infected yet and to bathe it in salt water and use an antiseptic cream. My colleague also suggested calendula cream as that promotes healing so I got some.

What do you do/have you done if you get a cut?

moyan
03-09-2010, 02:19 PM
What I have done for many ,many years is put a bit of over the counter antibiotic creme and a bandage on overnight. Has worked wonders so far. even with WG

MCC
03-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Thanks Moyan, is there a brand name in particular you use? I have Savlon antiseptic and the Calendula, which I only just got so will see how it looks in the morning before getting some antibiotic cream.

elephant
03-09-2010, 11:14 PM
Mandy, is it painful? If the borders are red and not healing then you probably need a antibiotic. If a nail got in, tennus shot you may need. I would see a MD.

moyan
03-10-2010, 03:02 AM
No particular brand, but I usually get triple antibiotics. Harmless when you only use it once.
Calendula is one of my favourite flowers, blossoms multi and selfseeds, even in pretty poor "soil"

moyan
03-10-2010, 03:04 AM
Hi Elephant, no harm in trying cream first, eh? Only overnight.

elephant
03-10-2010, 03:28 AM
It's worth a try, Moyan. That's what I would do first, try the cream and then if that doesn't work go to the pill ( antiboitic). :)

moyan
03-10-2010, 03:35 AM
It's worth a try, Moyan. That's what I would do first, try the cream and then if that doesn't work go to the pill ( antiboitic). :)

Hi elephant, I have to tell you this,though it is long: I cut an 8 stitches triangel on my shin. Looked great when doc took stitches out, but then I was crawling around on the livingroomcarpet with no bandage and 2 days later the nurse was ready to throw up when she saw it. Got AB pills that did nothing, so the doc put AB creme on it and the day after I had to go and show her. It was amazing how quick that worked. Taught me a good lesson!

elephant
03-10-2010, 04:08 AM
Moyan no more crawling on the floor, unless you dropped a piece of chocolate :) That is wonderful that the cream worked! Usually people have to resort to the antibiotic. One of my best friends is a podiatrist, she tells me all the time that if it doesn't get better soon with the cream...you have to use the antibiotic. She is one of the best in this area. My daughter was 2 at the time and ran around without shoes in the yard and she cut her foot, so of course my friend ordered antibiotics to take.....but I waited a couple of days and put topical stuff on her cut and it healed. I was glad about that. Hate giving children antibiotics.

moyan
03-10-2010, 04:28 AM
Hi, I had a very legit reason to crawl on the floor Had just moved and was building a spicerack, which I always do in a new place, lol

Sangye
03-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Moyan no more crawling on the floor, unless you dropped a piece of chocolate :)
I couldn't agree more. :D

MCC
03-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Thanks for your help.

It still looks kind of gross, but is healing a bit better. I saw a doctor yesterday for my regular check up and he gave me a prescription for antibiotic pills to take if it gets worse.

MCC
03-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Hello,
Me again asking questions.

I’ve had a terrible pain on the bottom of my right foot since yesterday- not the same foot as I cut open the week before last. It’s fine when I’m not moving, but very painful and aching when I walk - right across the bottom between the ball and heel.

My boyfriend says I must have strained it, but I swear I haven’t done anything that could have caused it. Maybe it’s nothing, but I worry every little thing now is a symptom of Wegener’s!

Do you have any thoughts please? I have no swelling, or marks on my foot.

I’m in hospital again on Thursday.

elephant
03-16-2010, 01:40 PM
I use to get pain on the bottom of my feet years ago...it was Wegener's. Your's might be Wegerners related. Are you doing a different exercise? Walking on hard floors barefoot? Gym shoes..sometimes you need to get new ones within 6 months...they start to lose support.
Why are you going to the hospital Thursday?

MCC
03-16-2010, 01:46 PM
Nothing has changed that I can think of, I've just been wearing the same shoes for ages- jandals or flip flops - not sure what you call them in the US! :)

I'm in hospital for IV Cyclo.

Sangye
03-16-2010, 01:50 PM
I have 3 guesses:
1) Wegs
2) Plantar fascia injury--pred makes it very easy to rupture tendons and ligaments.
3) Acupuncture kidney meridian runs there-- kidneys are very stressed by pred (and Wegs if you have kidney involvement, of course)

MCC
03-16-2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks Sangye,
I found an article on the net about Plantar Fascia after googling foot pain.
Is there anything I can do about it myself? Ie) I thought maybe taking anti inflammatories and rest?

Am a bit gutted as I go on holiday on Thursday on a longed for trip, was looking forward to not worrying about Wegener's things for a couple of weeks and not being able to walk around normally will be a problem!

Jack
03-16-2010, 07:04 PM
I go on holiday on Thursday on a longed for trip, was looking forward to not worrying about Wegener's things for a couple of weeks
I'm afraid that Wegener's likes to go on holiday with you! I've spent several sitting in the apartment watching TV. :(

Sangye
03-16-2010, 09:46 PM
I should amend my comment about Plantar fasciitis to say pred causes easy injury to ligs/tendpns in general. They get too stretchy and you can sprain/strain them without much exertion even if you don't cause rupture.

Unless you have a contraindication (eg circulation problem, skin ulcer), immerse your foot (covering ankle) in ice water 3-4 times a day for 15-20 minutes. (Immersion is better than an ice pack) The least obnoxious way to do that is to start with your foot in cold water and add 2 cups of ice to it. If you've never iced like this before, expect sizeable bone pain within 2 minutes that lasts about 2 minutes. Don't go longer than 20 minutes. If it feels worse afterwards, don't do it again and let your doctor check it out. Repeat this every day until you leave and morning and night while on vacation. Once PF begins it doesn't let go easily. The more consistent you are with icing the better.

I don't advise anti-inflammatories because they can damage the stomach with pred.

elephant
03-16-2010, 09:52 PM
Jack you crack me up....Wegeners likes to go on holiday with you.... SO TRUE!

MCC
03-17-2010, 07:32 AM
Jack, the Weg's is a very univited guest on this holiday! :)

Thanks for your advice Sangye, I am at work now with a bucket and ice pack under my desk :)