PDA

View Full Version : Nose Bleeding - Advice

pwc51
03-04-2010, 01:47 AM
I know by writing this and putting my head above the parapet a certain degree of nagging might ensue but, hey ho, nothing venture nothing win!

To set the scene I give a brief resume of the story so far:-

I was diagnosed in late July 09. Primary issue was sinus condition that did not respond to treatment and eventually I went deaf. (as the sinus condition seemed to result from a turbulent flight there was no reason to suspect anything else initially) At the same time joint pain became excruciating and for a time I could not walk. Fortunately I was referred to a Rheumatologist after a blood test and seen within 2 days. I was admitted to hospital – massive steroid doses restored my hearing within a day (magic). I continued with Cyclophosphamide until the end of December 09 and then transferred to methotrexate (now 20mg per week). Prednisolone has been reduced from 60mg to 7.5mg over the period.

I now feel great as per the ‘new normal’, back at work fulltime.

Existing problems:– Like everyone here it seems to be a question of balance!

Sinus problem has never gone away 100%, I would say there is still a 5% issue there but it is generally not enough to trouble me day today.

Breathless – initially I could not climb a flight of stairs without getting out of breath but now I can walk for miles over the hills without problems although if I rush upstairs I still notice a slight problem (this could be down to age and lack of fitness!). A recent X-ray showed nothing although there were shadows when I was first diagnosed.

Ankles – these swell when I have been at my desk all day. Rheumatologist thinks it is down to the blood pressure tablets but is not majorly concerned. My doctor will re-assess once the other drugs reach a stable state over the next month or so.

Finally, and the real reason for this posting, my nose has a tendency to bleed / spot when blown. This probably only started about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Nothing serious but it is most often first thing in the morning. Sometimes it does it all day and other days it is clear all day. (not that I am blowing my nose every few minutes – more like 2 hour apart). Rheumatologist did not seem concerned as everything else was good and he has been pleased with my progress. Should I be concerned or is this just part of the WG cycle?

Jack
03-04-2010, 03:04 AM
To be honest, it does not sound as if you are in too bad shape. :)

During my 15 "good" years I was not a great deal better than you are describing and since you are still at a fairly early stage I think you still have room for further improvement. Slight spotting and the occasional small bleed is probably more an indication of the damage already done to your nose rather than a sign of active Wegs. Profuse bleeding and crusting are the danger signs. I am still blowing my nose quite often and having the occasional sight of blood 20 years after my Wegs was brought under control.

elephant
03-04-2010, 04:32 AM
I would agree with Jack. IF you start to have more bleeding and crusting, yes alarms go off. If you notice getting more tired and slight joint pain along with it, then the alarms should go off real loud. Sounds like you are ok. I still have sinus issues and know I will never be 100%. It just knowing your limits and what your new normal should be. :)

pberggren1
03-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Even when I am doing good and the WG is in remission I still have sinus issues like crusting and bleeding. The crusting and bleeding and more mucus production get worse when I am having a flare. I have to use a WaterPik to irrigate my sinuses every day 2 or 3 times a day. I could not live without the WaterPik - I highly reccommend it.

Sangye
03-04-2010, 11:21 AM
I agree with Jack, Elephant and Phil. I don't have anything to add, since they know sinus involvement very well. I hope you'll take note of each of their comments and use them to ascertain when/if you should be concerned.

See? No nagging!! I feel so...unemployed. :D

elephant
03-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Sangye, you will not be unemployed on this forum. You work here full time. :)

pberggren1
03-04-2010, 06:35 PM
I's say Sangye works triple time!

Sangye
03-05-2010, 02:15 AM
LOL-- Phil, you're such a slave driver! :D

elephant
03-05-2010, 03:27 AM
You get 15 minute breaks every 4 hours. :)

Sangye
03-05-2010, 03:37 AM
LOL-- what if I gotta go potty?

elephant
03-05-2010, 07:31 AM
You can buy the singing portable potty, that way we all know your going potty. :)

Sangye
03-05-2010, 07:34 AM
LOL Of course! "Sangye went potty! Sangye went potty!" :D