PDA

View Full Version : Kidney Transplant

lafounk2
03-01-2010, 04:14 AM
Hi all,
It's been a while since I have written a note but read your entries often. My 15yo, Josh, is currently on the kidney registry as "inactive" status. The plan is that hopefully he'll be ready for transplant sometime this summer. My dilemma is that we may not have a living kidney donor available for him. For those that have already received kidney transplants have any of you had deceased donors? Has your transplant been successful so far? How long as your donor kidney been functioning? Josh's current status is he's on dialysis since Nov 09. He has a "growth" on his spleen for which we are hoping is a cyst (MRI scheduled for 3/19). Josh seems to be in remission. His Myfortic was stopped a few weeks ago because Josh's hemaglobin was lowering down to 6.9. His pred was increased to 30 mg to cover the remission. Apparently, once Josh's MRI is done, he'll start back on Myfortic. Otherwise, Josh is doing as well as to be expected.
Thanks for your feedback.
Josh's mom, Kelly

elephant
03-01-2010, 06:02 AM
My kidney came from my brother, we are a perfect match. I had my kidney transplant 1989. I was 24 years old, and I am doing well even with all the medicines I take. A very good friend of mine who has lupus got her kidney from a cadaver ( perfect match) and she is doing great. She is also taking Myfortic and prednisone and another drug ( can't remember) for the kidney transplant and Lupus ( autoimmune disease). If you have any more questions let me know. Happy to help.

Sangye
03-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Hi Kelly,
Thanks for updating us about Josh. I bet he was feeling pretty lousy with a 6.9 hemoglobin! Hoping for a perfect match to come his way soon.

Jack
03-02-2010, 12:25 AM
I had a cadaver renal transplant 20 years ago and it is still doing fine (thanks doner and family!). The treatment for Wegs and transplanted organs is very similar so there have been no conflicts and my TX has even survived several Wegs flares in the early days.