PDA

View Full Version : Melatonin supplementation is possibly like feeding Wegener's a candy bar.

crowneagle
08-07-2023, 07:56 AM
I'm relapsing badly this weekend. A couple of months ago, a doctor prescribed prescription strength melatonin for my sleep disorder. It's been down hill ever since. Seeing my neurologist Tuesday, hoping to get a pred taper, until my RTX infusion at the end of the month.

Melatonin increases pro-inflammatory cytokines IL-12, IL-2 and IL-6

Il-2 promotes B cell proliferation.
IL-12 plays a role in antigen presentation
IL-6 serves a number of inflammatory functions.

And yes, I did discuss melatonin with my rheumy before taking it. She didn't think it would be a problem. I stopped melatonin yesterday. It's forever off my list.

andrew
08-08-2023, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the info! Hope you're feeling better soon. What dosage was the Melatonin you took?

crowneagle
08-08-2023, 09:42 PM
I was taking 5-7mg's of the cheapo Walmart melatonin, until the VA gave me 5mg of prescription strength melatonin. Normally, our bodies produce much less than that. And you're very welcome. I usually do my homework, before taking anything. I let my guard down. Ugh!

crowneagle
08-11-2023, 09:59 AM
Mayo Clinic flat out recommends not taking melatonin with an autoimmune disease. Since they are the number 1 hospital in the world, I put a lot of stock in their opinion.

"Melatonin can stimulate immune function and interfere with immunosuppressive therapy."
https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements-melatonin/art-20363071

lily_0303
08-13-2023, 12:37 PM
I do hope you are feeling better, I was taking melatonin before being prescribed ambien, sorry if I spelled that wrong. Alternate between that and gabapentine for the pain in my hips to help me sleep. Maybe that could be something to talk with your doctor about?