PDA

View Full Version : Statistics

Masha
07-23-2020, 12:00 PM
Today’s WSJ has an article that states five to ten people out of 1,000 that have covid 19 die.
This got me thinking about another statistic. One out of how many people get Wegeners. This number seems to be changing with more people getting diagnosed. Does anyone have an accurate number?
Masha

richard052018
07-23-2020, 01:38 PM
Masha: I believe its one out of 33,000 in the general public in the US get GPA (3 per 100,000 IS usually what's cited). To give you some perspective: the odds of dying in a car crash are 1 in 103. This is an INCREDIBLY RARE disease: I'm amazed they even treat it to be honest. While half the country curses him, you can thank Dr. Fauci and his team for figuring out Pred + Cytoxan was a magical treatment in the 70s/80s.

"He developed effective therapies for formerly fatal inflammatory and immune-mediated diseases such as polyarteritis nodosa, granulomatosis with polyangiitis (formerly Wegener's granulomatosis), and lymphomatoid granulomatosis. A 1985 Stanford University Arthritis Center Survey of the American Rheumatism Association membership ranked Dr. Fauci’s work on the treatment of polyarteritis nodosa and granulomatosis with polyangiitis among the most important advances in patient management in rheumatology over the previous 20 years."

https://www.niaid.nih.gov/about/anthony-s-fauci-md-bio

Fauci wants me to wear the mask, I'll wear the mask and not ask any questions whatsoever.

John S
07-23-2020, 09:28 PM
Covid 19 has more issues than fatality rates. Some long term conditions to survivors are starting to emerge. The best thing is to avoid catching it.

marta
07-24-2020, 05:34 AM
Masha: I believe its one out of 33,000 in the general public in the US get GPA (3 per 100,000 IS usually what's cited). To give you some perspective: the odds of dying in a car crash are 1 in 103. This is an INCREDIBLY RARE disease: I'm amazed they even treat it to be honest. While half the country curses him, you can thank Dr. Fauci and his team for figuring out Pred + Cytoxan was a magical treatment in the 70s/80s.

"He developed effective therapies for formerly fatal inflammatory and immune-mediated diseases such as polyarteritis nodosa, granulomatosis with polyangiitis (formerly Wegener's granulomatosis), and lymphomatoid granulomatosis. A 1985 Stanford University Arthritis Center Survey of the American Rheumatism Association membership ranked Dr. Fauci’s work on the treatment of polyarteritis nodosa and granulomatosis with polyangiitis among the most important advances in patient management in rheumatology over the previous 20 years."

https://www.niaid.nih.gov/about/anthony-s-fauci-md-bio

Fauci wants me to wear the mask, I'll wear the mask and not ask any questions whatsoever.

Thank you Richard for this awesome tidbit about Dr. Fauci and his contribution to me being alive today. Because of this moment, I have a whole new respect and appreciation for this man.

richard052018
07-24-2020, 12:03 PM
In exchange for my life, I'd be more than willing to help Dr. Fauci with his fastball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rr9XC3hNGg