PDA

View Full Version : Question on O2 lvls...

AnnaG
02-10-2010, 07:56 AM
When I was at the pulmo on thurs my O2 sat was 86, should I worry about that or is that ok? My pulse was 80 and bp was 128/82. Don't remember my resp rate. I didn't even think of that at the time, but now it seems a mite low to me. I been using the advair 250/50 twice a day and it seems to cut the coughing down. Don't know that it helps the dizzies much tho.
God I wish the weather would break. And I wish I felt better. It gets depressing going for all these tests and procedures and it's just exhausting.

elephant
02-10-2010, 08:28 AM
I feel your pain Anna. Going thru some stuff right now. Blood pressure is good. O2 sat is low. It should be above 95%. Are you short of breath? When do you get dizzy?

AnnaG
02-10-2010, 08:40 AM
Yeah I get breathy sometimes and am dizzy more often than not the last week or so. I figured it was because of a cold I'm recovering from. I told the pulmo about it. He didn't say much other than to stress to me I definitely need this CT tomorrow and follow up with him and the uro. The past month or so I have to rest a LOT when doing anything or get breathless. Just pant like a dog. Last week outside I tried helping the kids shovel, man that didn't go so hot, lol. I finally had to just push the shovel along the ground into the street, rest a few minutes, then push another line out. And still worn out. Today I am not even attempting it, because if something happened, no ambulance cud get here with all the snow. But the cold air actually feels good to me. Every night at about 11 pm I get a heat wave. I've had a complete hyst 7 years ago, so thought it was hormonal. So I let the dog out and stand in the doorway a few minutes. :P

elephant
02-10-2010, 08:44 AM
You are having a CT of your head? You need to find out why you are dizzy. I would tell your doctor today. I was put on a cardiac unit from being dizzy and then passed out. They usually like to check out your heart and head. Sometimes it could be a sinus infection.

AnnaG
02-10-2010, 09:17 AM
Yeah I get sinus infections a lot plus it's in my ear this week also. Better today than yesterday though. I thought it might be the ear doing it as well as the air thing. But it started before the ear so I don't know. I'll tell pulmo at my next appt if I haven't already. So many appts and tests, it's hard for me to remember everything. I haven't gone down yet so that's a good thing. I'll sit when things get fuzzy. I'm pretty careful. I think I did too much yesterday is why I'm beat today. The boys and I made an orange poundcake. It's so good! If we weren't snowed in I'd have gone and picked up some whipped cream to have on it!

Sangye
02-10-2010, 10:04 AM
Anna, if your oxygen sats were 80 sitting down in the doctor's office, you can bet they're much lower when you're exerting yourself. That can cause dizziness for sure. Before I was diagnosed, I was increasingly short of breath until I wasn't even able to walk 5 ft without doubling over panting for breath. My lungs were hemorrhaging for at least 3 months before we knew it.

AnnaG
02-10-2010, 10:15 AM
Oh that's awful. I can walk about a quarter of a block before I rest a minute and then walk back. I always take my big ol doggy with me, so I'm not alone. :)
I don't think my lungs are bleeding tho, as I haven't had blood with my coughing. I bet you were so scared when that happened to you. :(

Lightwarrior
02-10-2010, 10:21 AM
Anna,
From what I am learning about Wegs is that you can be hemmoraging (lungs bleeding) without coughing up blood so don't discount that. I too am concerned about your O2 Sat 85% is not normal.

AnnaG
02-10-2010, 10:32 AM
O , ok. Do you think the CT will show any bleeding tho? I have that tomorrow.
I'll ask the intake lady in the morning to put the oximeter on me and see if the sats are improved any. I may have just been having an off day.

Lightwarrior
02-10-2010, 10:34 AM
CT should give information. Ask them to take your sat, take it easy and don't over-exert in the meantime. :-)

AnnaG
02-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Sure thing. I'll go easy til this gets sorted out. I'll be glad when it is! I'm so sick of feeling sick so much. It's exhausting.

Sangye
02-10-2010, 10:48 AM
When my lungs were hemorrhaging pre-diagnosis, I wasn't coughing up blood. They were hemorrhaging so badly and for so long that I'd lost 50% of my blood by the time we discovered what was going on. I only had a mild dry cough.

When they began hemorrhaging last summer, I coughed up several CCs of blood at once. Still, the pulmy team at JHU said it couldn't be Wegs because it wasn't enough blood. My Wegs rheumy hit the roof when he found out.

A CT will show hemorrhaging, or at least suggest it. It may say "infiltrates" or "groundglass opacities" on the report.

You might also ask them to test your O2 sats after you walk around a few minutes. Mine used to plummet into the 70's with exertion, even when they were 100% at rest.

moyan
02-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Anna, as you know it is darkest before dawn! You are living in a not pleasant hot place right now, but with the right docs and a proper diagnosis outloook will change and you can look back with a sigh of relief.

AnnaG
02-10-2010, 11:57 AM
You guys are so wonderful. I'm so glad I found this site. Going thru the diagnostic process is difficult at best. Even if whatever treatment I end up with is harsh, it'll still be better than limbo and all the testing.
I am a former healthcare worker. I was a certified Phlebotomist for a large medical center in Texas until about 5 years ago. I got bad with arthritis and fibro and just couldn't be on my feet like that anymore, but I still miss it so very much. I used to dream that the drs would get my health isssues under control and I'd be able to return at least part time, but that dream is fading fast. Still, in the back of my mind is still a voice that whispers, 'maybe someday...'. I truly loved my work and was good at it too. There was rarely a vein I couldn't hit with 1 try and often with no pain. A natural talent I suppose. I'd even been called to post op a time or two to assist in getting in lines. I miss it. I lost a lot of my identity after having to resign because of my health. I think the only thing that has saved my sanity is motherhood. It's hard to maintain a sense of purpose without a career. The first 2 years were the hardest. Ah well, and now all this! It's enough to really piss a person off at times. But when I get hugs from my boys it seems so much better. They are little gems. :) And there are so many people in the world that have it so much worse, it's hard to feel sorry for myself for long.
The highways are now completely covered with snow and ice, I saw on the state traffic site. I'm hoping that during the night they can get the main ones cleared. This winter has been the worst in years. I really don't want to miss my scan in the morning!

elephant
02-10-2010, 12:08 PM
I think everyone is wonderful on this site. I have learned so much and learn everyday. Everyone here brings so much to this forum and that's why it make's it so Wonderful. Kinda like we are in "Alice in Wonderland".... twists and turns and falling down a hole..... sorry it's my WG disease really!

AnnaG
02-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Lol, hugs to you new friend! I find a sense of humor is mandatory in maintaining a semblance of sanity. Notice I say 'semblance' as in it may seem like it! Because if I were truly sane all this would drive me otherwise. Isn't that a strange idea? Hehe.
I used to often worry my health issues would warp my boys. I send them to parochial school and have a good relationship with the staff and asked them if they notice any stress in the boys over my issues. Last week I asked again and was told that they seem more empathetic than some children their age. Well, they have seen me through a lot. They have even learned to give me my B12 injections! Especially Logan, he loves medical stuff. They went with me to the pulmo last week and he was right up there with the dr on the stool and was engrossed in the whole thing. Kids are just amazing to me. Collin will get grossed out if I puke or something, but not Logan. Gore doesn't faze him much. XP I wouldn't be surprised to see him grow up and go into the medical field. They are twins but not a bit alike in any way. I'll have to get some pix together for you.

jola57
02-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Anna I used to work as a phlebotomist 25 years ago(my has it been that long?) in cancer clinic so I know all about non existant veins. I loved my job and have never met anyone who would say they didn't like it. I have blood test every month now so now I know how it is on the other side. Keep the interest going in Logan and we migh have a new doc in the making LOL.

elephant
02-10-2010, 10:24 PM
Anna, I am a RN and I have thought about taking phlebotomoit classes so I could do something in the insurance industry. I think my days working as a RN are long gone. I need a job that is flexible and not so stressfull. You sound like a great Phelbotomist!

Sangye
02-11-2010, 01:46 AM
After being stabbed by an arrogant nurse who told me she knew my veins better than me in the ER this week, an awesome nurse got an IV started easily. I can tell who will be able to find my veins and who won't, just by how they walk in and respond to "I'm an incredibly hard stick." The ones with magic hands are always humble, gentle, patient and listen to me when I tell them which veins are shot, which are congenitally missing, what size needle can be used, etc.... Back in Arizona I knew all the best nurses and phlebotomists. After awhile it was like they could just say hello and blood would spurt out of me. :D

I sure hope you can get back to your profession, Anna. Patients need the precious few phlebotomists with "good hands." :)

elephant
02-11-2010, 03:04 AM
Sangye too funny " that blood would spurt out of you"......

Sangye
02-11-2010, 03:32 AM
I knew that would make you chuckle!

I like your idea of training as a phlebotomist, Elephant. Those patients would be really lucky to have someone with such empathy, experience being a patient and all your years of nursing experience.

AnnaG
02-11-2010, 03:33 AM
I know it's funny elephant, lol, but she's kinda right. If you listen to the patient and ease into a sweet spot it really does just spurt out. I always listened to my patients. Holy cow, they know where the good spots are!! Like they're gonna tell you a bad one so they have to be stuck multiple times, ugh. But you're so right, some of the phlebs are really bad.
Well, I made it to my lung CT this morning and now see the uro on saturday afternoon.
I think one of the reasons I was pretty successful at my job is that I did a fair amount of practising on myself in school. I figure if you can manage to successfully stick yourself that's a mean feat, lol!
The hardest draw I ever had was a fragile old lady whose veins would burst the second you hit a vein. So I figured if I could manage it without using a tourniquet because of the pressure and used an insulin needle I might be able to get enough out to use in a pedi tube. I really never expected it to really work, but I did it! I still can't believe that. Those blood cells had to have gone up that needle in single file. Thank god we didn't need much either. Cancer patients are sometimes rough also. I almost always used butterflies because I could 'feel' what I was doing better with those. They are more expensive but if you have to repaetedly stick someone with something else, you have to use a fresh needle for each poke, so you're wasting either way. Just as well save the patient some agony, IMO.
I hope you guys are having a decent day. My lower back is killing me but I'm going to rest a bit. When I got home I got my car stuck in the driveway half in and half out in the snow. >< A farmer is gonna come pull it out around 1 pm. Until then, I'm relaxin'!

AnnaG
02-11-2010, 03:35 AM
Oh BTW, I did get some pix posted in my album for you. :)

Jack
02-11-2010, 04:11 AM
Hi Anna,
Glad you made your journey through the snow OK. :)
Perhaps you could add your location to your profile so we know what area you are in? Sounds very rural.

elephant
02-11-2010, 04:13 AM
Thanks Sangye for the compliment!
Anna, Glad you got your CT of your lungs. Your heading to the right direction.....I will check out the pics. Anna you look great in Pink! One of my favorite colors.

AnnaG
02-11-2010, 04:24 AM
I can't figure out how to edit my biography thingy. Anyway, thanks for your comments and I live in Iowa. :)

Jack
02-11-2010, 04:46 AM
Click on "My Profile" at the top of the page then click on the little pencil symbol next to the section you wish to edit eg. Location.

AnnaG
02-11-2010, 05:36 AM
Thank you Jack, I got it. :)
Well the farmer came and got my car dug out and he wouldn't let me give him a dime! *sigh* And he said he's coming back later to scoop out the end of the driveway where I got stuck. Such a nice guy, I wish he'd take something, fuel ain't cheap! Stubborn tho.

Lightwarrior
02-11-2010, 05:44 AM
Cool, I didn't know that. I just went there. How do you upload a picture by your name?

Jack
02-11-2010, 05:58 AM
From near the top of the Forum Home page, select "Forum Actions" then "Edit Prifile"
Follow the links on the left of the page and you will arrive at the option to upload a picture from your computer.

pberggren1
02-11-2010, 09:18 PM
What is a phlebotomist?

Jack
02-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Someone who takes your bloods and bags them up. At least, that is the part I see as a patient, there is probably more to it than that.