PDA

View Full Version : Snowpocalypse

Sangye
02-07-2010, 07:58 AM
Boy, we really got hit with this huge snowstorm. It started yesterday about noon and never let up. It's up to my waist! Heavy, wet snow, too.

We had a huge blizzard Dec 19, and it took about 3 days for the freeways to be cleared. Yes, the major freeways in Washington, D.C.! This storm is much worse. I don't think I can even get out of my house for many days. As long as the power stays on I'm okay-- got food, water, etc...

Is anyone else in the path of this beast?

Jack
02-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Is it at this point that the Canadians on the forum start to ROFL?

Edit: Just seen the news link - looks quite bad actually! Hope you'll be OK Sangye.

pberggren1
02-07-2010, 09:32 AM
We had a snowpocalypse on Jan.22, 23, and 24. Most of the main streets didn't get cleared until the 27th. Power was out in some areas of the Province until the 29th because of freezing rain before the storm hit and then high winds afterwards that downed many lines.

Lightwarrior
02-07-2010, 11:10 AM
I live in Yuma AZ. We are freezing because it is 57 degrees and cloudy(It rained more than an inch two weeks ago and schoold let out early and closed the next day) I am watching the beauty of your storm and feeling the concern for all of those I hear are allready without power on CNN, Weather channel etc. Stay safe Sangye and the rest of you who have to deal with this.

Sangye
02-07-2010, 12:15 PM
I lived in upstate New York (including Buffalo) for almost 4 years and this blizzard would have been a problem there. More than 3 ft of heavy snow in a 26-hour span is no good.

The only way to get to my car is a 50 ft walk across grass. No one plows or shovels it, and it's in the shade so it won't melt. I have no idea how/when I'm getting out of here. I can't even see the parking lot where my car is buried! Back in Arizona, if someone's car was buried like that, neighbors would come and dig it out without saying anything. Not here!

jola57
02-07-2010, 04:12 PM
You poor babies, read and weep - yesterday and today Vancouver had 12.5 + C thats about 57 F, I actually walked about in a t shirt, it's hard to believe only a few days ago I was in 20C -

Sangye
02-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Ours was one of the few homes that didn't lose power. Friends who lived just down the road had no power for most of yesterday.

But, last night at bedtime, I started with major diarrhea and vomiting-- often simultaneously. That's sure fun. Kept me up all night. It's still going on and I'm unbelievably weak. Sipping diluted Gatorade. It's not the best, but it's keeping me hydrated. My friends had to drive all over looking for an open grocery store today to get it. I have no idea what it's like out there since I can't see anything. I'm hoping some of our sangha will come and dig me out tomorrow. There was no way I could do it before, and now I can barely sit in a chair. I have no idea if it's a stomach bug or food poisoning, but I hope it's going to stop soon.

Dumpy
02-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Sangye I hope things get better for you its not bad enough that you are trapped in but to get sick to. Sangye I have had food poisoning before and you don't have to guess if it is are not because that is the worst thing I have ever had. I cramped so bad that if I could have put my knees behind my ears and it wouldn't been enought. I had to go to the ER and they gave me a shot an some meds that knocked me out for two days. Take care.

elephant
02-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Well I just got back from the emergency room having upper abdominal pain. Tomorrow I go for a ultrasound of my bladder and then go from there. I went to my GP five days ago and told her I was not feeling good. Blood work was good, glucose up-160 but they didn't do any sed rate. Liver lab results were good. I will get to the bottom of this.
Sangye, I am so sorry about your V/D crap! You know the signs of dehydration esp..... in your condition.....wish I was there to help you!

Jack
02-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Hope you feel better soon Sangye. I sent you a PM because I was feeling concerned about you in the snow and with power cuts, but I did not expect food poisoning too! Have you done something real bad in your life? ;)

Seriously - no one deserves all the crap life seems to be throwing at you at the moment. :(

jola57
02-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Sangye, if i could i would take some of your pain away. I am so sorry you must go thru this but glad you have good friends with you. I know i don't have to tell you what to do but keep an eye on how long this lasts. Can you think of food that went bad? With your good home grown diet it would be hard to get sick. Just look out for anything else - my appendix was like that.

moyan
02-09-2010, 01:57 AM
Sangye, elephant and all of you feeling lousy. New day and I so hope the worst is over for all of you. Sending a smile that I hope make you grin.
Moyan

GARYfromBOSTON
02-09-2010, 09:09 AM
Sangye, hope you're feeling better.

Have you trademarked "Snowpocalypse"? If not, I'm using it haha!

elephant
02-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Sangye, thinking about you and hoping you are doing good.

onatreetop
02-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Hope you are both feeling better soon. We got to much snow at one time in NJ too. I keep getting stuck in the driveway( dirt road about 3 football fields long). Where ever the sun hits it gets soft een though it hasnt gotten above 32 here. We are getting more in the pm Tuesday. Ran to the food store again to stock up for the week this time. I am having the biopsy done in the am and the spur removel with the dev septim fixed also. I might be done for a while 7 days the doc said. I am hoping my daughter lets me use her lap top maybe when I am not sleeping. Anyway now we may know or learn something new. Happy winter!!!!!!!! And keep warm!!!! Thinking of all of you!!!!!!

elephant
02-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Onatreetop good luck. I am feeling better today, I am worried more about Sangye.
I will say some prayer for you and Sangye.

pberggren1
02-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Sangye you sure don't deserve this crap you are going throught right now. I sure hope you start feeling better soon and are able to get out of the house in the next few days.

JanW
02-10-2010, 12:40 AM
Sangye - hope you are okay. We are expected to get 12-18 up here in Northern Jersey -- we've gotten off light so far this year -- I don't need this!

Sangye
02-10-2010, 02:11 AM
Well I just got back from the emergency room having upper abdominal pain. Tomorrow I go for a ultrasound of my bladder and then go from there. I went to my GP five days ago and told her I was not feeling good. Blood work was good, glucose up-160 but they didn't do any sed rate. Liver lab results were good. I will get to the bottom of this.
Sangye, I am so sorry about your V/D crap! You know the signs of dehydration esp..... in your condition.....wish I was there to help you!
I hope they figure it out, Elephant. Why are they starting with bladder if you're having upper GI pain? I wonder about an underlying infection if your glucose is up and you're feeling lousy. Any new symptoms?

I did have to giggle....Apparently I don't know what V/D means...The last time I saw those letters used together like that it meant venereal disease. (I guess STD is the preferred term these days)

Sangye
02-10-2010, 02:34 AM
Have you done something real bad in your life? ;)(
LOL-- I've been trying to write a blog post about that topic, actually. Just trying to scrape together a couple of brain cells.... :D

Sangye
02-10-2010, 02:53 AM
I continued to go downhill with the GI stuff Sunday night and was spiking dehydration fevers throughout the night along with hallucinations. (At one point I woke up soaked in sweat, aware that I'd just been hallucinating myself as some sort of muffin in a muffin tin. LOL)

Yesterday my friends came over and dug a path in the snow and then I called an ambulance. The paramedics had to carry me out in a weird little chair--bouncing me all over the ice. They did the best they could but being bounced when your gut is churning is unpleasant. They said it was one of the easier "extrications" they'd had all day. (That term always makes me think of removing 900 lb people from their homes) Most had required National Guard to come and dig people out. Even as we drove, their radio announced "ambulance stuck" several times. The ice on the roads was so bad I had to hang onto the stretcher rails to keep from flying all over. We bounced and slammed around the whole way. They kept saying "Don't let go of the rails!" I was so weak it took all my strength, I tell ya.

The hospital was hugely overcrowded and instead of putting me right in a bed they plopped me in the waiting room. I finally talked them into an isolated supply room so I could be away from germs. They wouldn't allow my friend back there, so it meant no way to get a nurse, no way to get to a bathroom, having to sit in a wheelchair, etc.... I was really going downhill. They wouldn't allow me to drink anything either, so I became way more dehydrated. Five hours later they got an IV in. I had long stopped producing urine, which didn't even phase them. Today I'm calling the hospital patient services person about it. Even with a busy ER, they could have started IV fluids and stuck me in the waiting room. They had the orders for blood work and an IV, for pete's sake.

Today I'm still not interested in food. It doesn't disgust me, but it's like the switch is off. I ate some cereal and my gut is churning already.

In the CAN YOU BELIEVE IT department, we're expecting another 10-20 inches of snow tonite and tomorrow. I'm gonna get pedialyte and saltines today.

elephant
02-10-2010, 03:13 AM
Your back Sangye, how are you?
I just got done calling two doctors and waiting for their call. I am also having cold hands and feet.

Jack
02-10-2010, 03:28 AM
Hope you feel better soon Sangye. Glad to hear that you have people who can look out for you, I was concerned about how you would manage. Still sounds a bit grim though!

Lightwarrior
02-10-2010, 03:51 AM
Sangye,
I have found Ginger root tea or Canada Dry Ginger Ale helps some with the naseau. You need the pedialyte to replace what you have lost though. Are you home? I hope your little muffin oven slows down (lol). You might try asking for a patient advocate when they won't let your friend go back with you. Unfortunetly ED's can be really unsafe places, buzz words that may get their attention are: Patient safety, asking for patient advocate up front??? May or may not help. I'm sending you energy and light.

jola57
02-10-2010, 03:53 AM
Any thoughts as to what caused it? Waiting 5 hours for an IV is unacceptable, you are right - talk to administration and ask for a formal explanation Don't let them smooth it over the phone and ask for a written explanation. If you are feeling up to it write a complaint letter. This is not to be mean but to make sure they talk about it at their next rounds meeting.
Were you at least a round fluffy muffin LOL

JanW
02-10-2010, 04:03 AM
Poor Sangye! Thank goodness you made it out okay. Hope your condition will continue to improve.

Lightwarrior
02-10-2010, 04:25 AM
Jolanta,
I agree to ask them to talk about it at their next rounds, if you are up to it ask if they have a patient safety committee that includes patients. You may not want to put that much energy into it but even if you don't they may have a committee.

What causes this??? Overpopulated, understaffed Emergency Rooms, patients who are force to use ED's for primary care because they can not afford primary care or can not get an appointment timely, or they are third or fourth generation who thinks that what ED's are for.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, if you are not demanding that you be cared for, that you want to see an administrator NOW that you want your friend with you then they will move on to the ambulance that just backed into the bay and the guy who is being the squeaky wheel. I don't believe that most ED Doc's and nurses intend to leave you hanging, you just have to make sure you make their priority list. If you are being ignored, call someone who can call in and ask for a house supervisor, tell them to ask for the adminstrator on call.

Sangye
02-10-2010, 04:41 AM
Thanks, you guys. I've often called for a Patient Relations rep and it really gets everyone's attention. It was the combo of not being allowed to keep myself hydrated, not receiving treatment and not allowing me to have a personal advocate that really put me in harm's way. Inexcusable. I've got a call in to them.

Sangye
02-10-2010, 06:33 AM
Eww. Just saw that pedialyte has splenda (sucralose) in it. That causes diarrhea in many people. Gonna make my own electrolyte solution.

I'm surprised that all you pred-soaked Weggies haven't gone to town with Muffin comments. ("What kind of muffin?" "Mmm I love blueberry." "Have you ever had hot muffins with a snickers bar inside it..."

AnnaG
02-10-2010, 06:47 AM
Oh Sangye a snickers sounds heavenly right now. *sigh*
Unfortunately, I am still completely snowed in and there is no way I can even get out the driveway. And I'm pooped after doing so little as cooking lunch for my dear heathens. Bless thier hearts, they did the dishes.
And the hosp just called to make sure I'll be there for my CT in the a.m. I told them yes if my street ever gets plowed. So then I called city halll and they are trying to get someone out here to clear it, tho they said not likely til at the earliest sometime tonight. If I needed help right this minute, I would surely croak, as the closest an ambulance cud even get is nearly a mile away. :(

AnnaG
02-10-2010, 07:07 AM
Well I got hold of a farmer with a blade and he will make sure I'm dug out by 8 am. Bless his tuff old heart! I'm glad too, cuz my right lung just hurts.

elephant
02-10-2010, 08:39 AM
Sangye that muffin sounds good. Hope you heading in the right direction.
AnnaG hope you make it to your CT in the am.

AnnaG
02-10-2010, 09:03 AM
Well, I figure if nuthin else we can hook the dog/horse up to a sled, hahaha!
Seriously, I live in a tiny town and the powers that be know I need to get to that appointment in the morning. I have every bit of faith that they will have me dug out by then. :)

moyan
02-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Hi, a though struck me: totally unknowing about being sick, yes I am a lucky one!!, how would I know I need water, blood, an infection culture?

jola57
02-10-2010, 05:05 PM
Sangye read my post again, I did make a comment and you didn't answer LOL

Sangye
02-11-2010, 01:58 AM
Aha! So you did! :D

I don't know what kind of muffin I was. I was aware that the bedside half of my body was hot and sunken in the muffin tin. I was yellow, so maybe a cornbread muffin?

As I write this, I'm thinking of all the muffin-related Google searches that'll lead to this page. Well, we gotta do what we gotta do for The Cause, right? :D

AnnaG
02-11-2010, 12:13 PM
You were a delectable poppy seed lemon muffin, Sangye!!!!

jola57
02-11-2010, 04:22 PM
I think for reasons unknown everyone, except Anna (see her cupcake post) are humourless these days, it must be the February blues

Sangye
02-12-2010, 02:20 AM
I rarely lose my sense of humor, even when I'm in critical condition. But the last few days I've had a hard time even smiling. I got so wiped out with this stomach bug, and now it feels like I'm fighting off a cold I picked up in the ER. Having to shovel snow in this condition has been too much. The storm is over, so maybe it'll turn my mood around.

Doug Thomas
02-12-2010, 02:38 AM
I think for reasons unknown everyone, except Anna (see her cupcake post) are humourless these days, it must be the February blues

There were problems going off topic that tied back to excessive humor in posts or posts totally filled with off topic humor. I personally resolved not to continue to be a problem maker that way, and am stubborn enough to keep it that way. (Execept in the off topic threads, of course.)

elephant
02-12-2010, 02:38 AM
I am looking forward to the spring. Bye, Bye Winter! See you later alligator! Want my Sun back!!!! February blahhhhss....

elephant
02-12-2010, 02:40 AM
You caught us red handed Doug! Glad you did! Somebody needs to watch what were doing ....kinda lost our purpose.... :)

moyan
02-12-2010, 04:32 AM
Hi, isn't one purpose with this site to make us all feel better, one way or another, and laughter IS internal jogging!

jola57
02-12-2010, 03:59 PM
I'm with you moyan. I need my daily medicine of laughter to keep me going any which way I can get it. We all share the good and the bad, info and laughter.

elephant
02-13-2010, 01:46 AM
Laughing is really good. It's like a really good thanksgiving meal.

Sangye
02-13-2010, 12:01 PM
And much better for the turkeys.

GARYfromBOSTON
02-13-2010, 01:08 PM
And much better for the turkeys.

Now you made me laugh! :D

Terri
02-14-2010, 01:44 PM
OK is it just my imagination or do us weggies always soothe our woes and troubles with the mention of some type of food?
Be it muffins, snickers, turkey dinners......I have a moist yellow cake with coconut frosting in mind. I don't know why, I just do!

onatreetop
02-14-2010, 01:49 PM
Food is LOVE AND COMFORT!!! We can expect that we know it will taste like and plan it. We can control it unlike most other things. So ...............yes.

Sangye
02-14-2010, 01:58 PM
Pred is a powerful appetite stimulant!

onatreetop
02-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Thats not all!!!

jola57
02-17-2010, 07:13 PM
how many people let the turkey out?