PDA

View Full Version : Anniversary

vdub
04-22-2018, 02:53 AM
It's been 8 years today that my pituitary was removed and I was dx’ed with Wegener’s…. A lot has happened since then. I'm certainly glad I had the support of the this forum during that time. Currently, I'm feeling tip-top and finally able to do the things I want, but feeling this well has only been for the past 6 months. I hope it continues. All indications are that the major battles might be over unless I have a flare. My drugs have been decreased to just 17/day and my rheumy said he doesn't need to see me for a year. So, things are going reasonably well -- which is why you don't see me on the forum very often anymore.

drz
04-22-2018, 05:57 AM
It's been 8 years today that my pituitary was removed and I was dx’ed with Wegener’s…. A lot has happened since then. I'm certainly glad I had the support of the this forum during that time. Currently, I'm feeling tip-top and finally able to do the things I want, but feeling this well has only been for the past 6 months. I hope it continues. All indications are that the major battles might be over unless I have a flare. My drugs have been decreased to just 17/day and my rheumy said he doesn't need to see me for a year. So, things are going reasonably well -- which is why you don't see me on the forum very often anymore.

But we still love you just the same. Best wishes for for fun and less medical problems. Enjoy:thumbsup::hug3:

Pete
04-22-2018, 06:05 AM
vdub

Great news!! Hoping all continues to go well for you!!!

Geoff
04-22-2018, 07:22 AM
Yeah smiling Hard at this great news Vaughn!! so glad you can get out and about as I know you have itchy feet!! Hope to see you this side of the Atlantic some day soon. Hope the MG is set for an airing shortly??

whatthewhat
04-22-2018, 07:25 AM
I mean this in the nicest possible way - your absence is awesome! :) Congratulations! You have helped so many through your work on this forum, and a break from having WG foremost in your thoughts is super good news.

vdub
04-22-2018, 11:14 AM
Thanks so much, guys! And, yes Geoff, the UK is on the radar. We did a Panama Canal cruise in Feb. Went from Ft Lauderdale, through the canal, and up to San Francisco. And, we just got back from two weeks in Kauai. We left Kauai on the Saturday night just as all the flooding rain was hitting the north side. They got 24" in 24 hrs and it didn't stop there -- heavy rain and flooding continued for about a week. I think we'll go to Guam in October and then UK/Germany. We'll see how plans develop and you will definitely be notified.

annekat
04-22-2018, 04:16 PM
It's been 8 years today that my pituitary was removed and I was dx’ed with Wegener’s…. A lot has happened since then. I'm certainly glad I had the support of the this forum during that time. Currently, I'm feeling tip-top and finally able to do the things I want, but feeling this well has only been for the past 6 months. I hope it continues. All indications are that the major battles might be over unless I have a flare. My drugs have been decreased to just 17/day and my rheumy said he doesn't need to see me for a year. So, things are going reasonably well -- which is why you don't see me on the forum very often anymore.Great news, vdub, and I hope not to see you here much if it means you are continuing to do well. How fortunate you and your wife are to be able to do all that traveling without much thought of possible health issues. When you make it to the UK, I will no doubt see it documented by Geoff here and on Facebook.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

vdub
04-22-2018, 05:15 PM
Thanks, Anne. It is really tough to plan for all my drugs on our trips. I still take 17 a day. I have one drug that is an injection and I get nervous going to other countries with needles, but I've never had a problem. Another thing that makes me nervous is carrying drugs without prescriptions. I can't possibly carry all the different bottles, so I pre-load weekly pill minder boxes and I'll carry 5 or 6 weeks worth of drugs. Again, I haven't had a problem with any customs. I guess my kind of drugs aren't in great demand by the junkies. Getting back into the US is generally the most difficult, but we have Nexus cards and those seem to help speed us on our way. Regardless of what we do, I still have to be back home every 3 months to get an injection of one of my drugs. So, we try to plan our trips accordingly. After 8 years, its all reasonably routine at this point.

mishb
04-22-2018, 06:06 PM
Happy survivor'versary vdub :thumbsup::hug3::hug3:

Back in 2010/2011 (and probably some others years as well), who would have thought that you would be feeling so great.
I know that it was something that we all hoped and prayed for - and here you are.

Super amazing, and if it's so great, then stay away as long as you can - and who knows, maybe you will come to Oz one day

Jaha
04-23-2018, 03:43 AM
Very good news, after all the ups and downs. I am so glad you are doing fun things now. I am also at eight years this month for my lung resection and am slowly coming out of the worst. Keep taking good care of yourself and enjoy all the life you can!

BookNut
04-23-2018, 02:25 PM
Congratulations!!

annekat
04-23-2018, 04:37 PM
Thanks, Anne. It is really tough to plan for all my drugs on our trips. I still take 17 a day. I have one drug that is an injection and I get nervous going to other countries with needles, but I've never had a problem. Another thing that makes me nervous is carrying drugs without prescriptions. I can't possibly carry all the different bottles, so I pre-load weekly pill minder boxes and I'll carry 5 or 6 weeks worth of drugs. Again, I haven't had a problem with any customs. I guess my kind of drugs aren't in great demand by the junkies. Getting back into the US is generally the most difficult, but we have Nexus cards and those seem to help speed us on our way. Regardless of what we do, I still have to be back home every 3 months to get an injection of one of my drugs. So, we try to plan our trips accordingly. After 8 years, its all reasonably routine at this point.Oh, well I hadn't thought about the drugs... Sounds like a hassle, but one you are used to. The few I take are nothing compared to that, and it's hard to imagine going through that routine all the time while traveling. But we do look forward to hearing about some of your adventures, and I'm glad your health issues will not stand in the way of those!

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

drz
04-24-2018, 08:28 AM
I count four of us in this thread that all joined in 2010. Amazing we are still all here and active in the forum. We have seen many members come and go, some who were very active and greatly missed. So it is great to see some with impressive recovery and active life style.

woz
04-25-2018, 10:30 PM
Well done vdub, all the best, enjoy the trekking, hope that red car of yours is getting plenty of use.

Regards Woz...

Alysia
05-05-2018, 03:46 PM
the UK is on the radar.

What about Israel ? We have enough pred here :flapper:
Congratulations vdub, I am so happy for you :hug3:

Jules
05-05-2018, 04:41 PM
Great news! Enjoy your travels, our difficult journeys make the good times even sweeter!:thumbsup:

vdub
05-06-2018, 03:52 PM
We would absolutely love to come to Israel! I can't imagine it would cost all that much to hop over from France or Germany. I need to keep it in mind. Thanks, vw

BenHornsby
05-27-2018, 07:44 PM
This thread made my day ;-) most posts are questions or problems and to read the positive side of this exclusive club..

Congrats VW long may it last and look forward to hearing your advise and tips about traveling with the drugs..

Ben [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

vdub
05-28-2018, 01:24 AM
Thanks, Jana! My endocrinologist jumped on the band wagon two weeks ago and told me she didn't want to see for a year, too. So now I'm down to just 3 doctors. Things are looking up. I'm a little miffed though because the 8 years taken away from me were 59-67 -- prime years for retirement. Oh well, I should be happy with what I have.

The other day at the hospital, I got the comment we all love so much. A nurse was looking through my records and couldn't believe I had so much wrong with and then she said it, "But you look so good on the outside!" Yeah, we hear that a lot. :)

Alias
05-28-2018, 09:09 AM
Well, having met you, I have to concur that you look hale and hearty, despite all your challenges.

I just saw a new rheumatologist up here. She has THREE autoimmune disorders herself, and trained under the last guy I saw in Seattle, so I have some confidence that she knows her stuff. Now waiting for lab results to see if she concurs I am in drug free remission or should go back on MTX or something else. Based on the amount of blood I gave up, it seems she is testing me for every known AI disease.

Take care.

vdub
05-28-2018, 01:36 PM
Sounds like you are in good hands, Tom. I hope you get that drug free remission and are able to off of mtx.

seied
05-29-2018, 01:34 AM
Well, having met you, I have to concur that you look hale and hearty, despite all your challenges.

I just saw a new rheumatologist up here. She has THREE autoimmune disorders herself, and trained under the last guy I saw in Seattle, so I have some confidence that she knows her stuff. Now waiting for lab results to see if she concurs I am in drug free remission or should go back on MTX or something else. Based on the amount of blood I gave up, it seems she is testing me for every known AI disease.

Take care.
I'm considering flying to Alaska to be her patient!

Congrats on your drug-free remission.

Ed.