PDA

View Full Version : The Vagus Nerve

gwenllian111
01-28-2010, 08:25 AM
Hello!

I wondered if anyone has had a problem with the Vagus nerve becoming inflammed due to Wegeners?

A few months ago, I had severe pain upon swollowing - and my bp and pulse dropped very low. Luckily, with steroids and Ritixumab, I got better, but I still have some inflammation (a bit more than normal) but i'm OK at the moment.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks guys, gwen xx

elephant
01-28-2010, 08:30 AM
I have on/off swallowing and take nexium for it. I had fainting spells in the past..... so I am wondering if that has anything to do with that. My blood pressure is always all over the place.

gwenllian111
01-28-2010, 08:32 AM
What's Nexium?

gwenllian111
01-28-2010, 08:36 AM
I also feel faint, wonder if vagus nerve is not totally better after all.

Had a neck CT scan which showed a 'lump' or 'bump' in my neck. Wonder what it is. No one seems to know.

If it was a tumour, would it show that in my bloods i wonder.

Had a barrium swollow which also showed a slight lump in my trachea/esophagus area.

Intersting.

elephant
01-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Nexium is a proton pump inhibitor that reduces gastric acid secretion and decreases acidity. It reduces gastric ulcers and ulcers of the esophagis.

gwenllian111
01-28-2010, 08:47 AM
Did you have an ulcer on your esophagus then?

Sangye
01-28-2010, 08:48 AM
Nexium is an acid-blocker like Prevacid, Protonix and Zantac, only stronger.

Gwen, they really should do an MRI of your neck to better visualize the soft tissue. CT scans are not the imaging test of choice for this. Some types of cancer would not show in your blood work. Please don't wait to have this properly evaluated. The vagus nerve controls vital functions, and any compromise to that could be life-threatening. Also, nerves do not like pressure. If the pressure is chronic, the nerve can suffer permanent damage.

gwenllian111
01-28-2010, 08:57 AM
Gosh, it's so intersting and complicated isn't it!

I just have a niggling feeling that something isn't quite right, but I try not to worry too much at the same time.

My Rheumy is convinced that my last flare was a problem with the vagus nerve, although tests did not show the nerve to be swollen - it's just that my pulse and BP plummeted, so I was diagnosed with inflammation of the vagus nerve.

I wondered if the lump in my throat was something to do with having so many tracheal dilatations over the years, but ENT say no and that that's unlikely. I'm just in limbo, with no one really knowing what's wrong.

I'm really tired, and not feeling myself. Must wait for tests. My ESR and CRP are creeping up, but nothing too catastropic at the moment.

How are things going with you?

Sangye
01-28-2010, 09:05 AM
Gwen, trust that niggling feeling. Ask your docs for the MRI.

My Wegs doc takes it very seriously when ESR and CRP start creeping up. With Wegs, the sooner you catch a flare the easier it is to treat it. I know you know that--I'm just being an amplifier for the voice in your head.

gwenllian111
02-17-2010, 08:27 AM
Still waiting for scans!
Still feeling faint / sick / dizzy, with horrendous head aches, and awful bowels (sorry tmi)
Still no more informed as the what's going on!

Ah well, how are you getting on? :-)

elephant
02-17-2010, 08:46 AM
Sorry you are feeling so bad. Hope they find a answer for you soon. When will you find out?

Sangye
02-17-2010, 08:59 AM
Gwen, that's no good! I hope you get the scan results soon. Did they do an MRI?

jola57
02-17-2010, 02:42 PM
Gwen, vagus nerve would not have you feeling so bad. Will you be getting an MRI? I know that granulomas can be like tumors and press on various nerves. Wegs does get into the nervous system as well. They should check you out thoughrly