PDA

View Full Version : Losing my insurance - ideas?

me2
09-19-2017, 01:10 PM
I got a letter from Regence Blue Shield that they are cancelling me after I have been with them for 40+ years. They told me they are cancelling all individual contracts.
So, I have to find new insurance before January. I'm told (by them) I need to go to the insurance exchange in November to find a new company. I want to be pro-active and have looked at all of my options before then. I don't even know how the exchange works really.

So I'm hoping for a brainstorming session here on ALL the ways I might get insurance coverage. Since it is brainstorming do not filter your ideas as being unlikely or crazy. Once I have narrowed down what might be possible for me I can have a different discussion. What are some of the ways y'all have insurance or have heard of people getting insurance?

Pete
09-19-2017, 02:17 PM
1. Go to healthcare.gov to see what's available
2. Medicare/Medicaid
3. My wife is a retired teacher, and I get my Medicare supplement through the teachers retirement system.

Alysia
09-20-2017, 02:15 AM
It's a shame. How dare they do it ?

I wish I knew how it works in the US...

You asked for brain stormming. Mine is crazy.. :
If you have a jewish grandmom or grandfather you can immigrate to Israel. You will get health service like all the citizens get here, by law. Rtx included. (Bacon not).

Alias
09-20-2017, 11:46 AM
I take it you are already in the individual/private market? In any case, for the time being you can go to Healthcare.gov and take their pre-application test to see if you could qualify. It certainly sounds like you would, since you are losing your other coverage. However, at the moment the health care law is again under threat, so there is a lot of uncertainty there. Another thought is that if you are disabled from employment on the basis of your Wegener's and/or any other illness, you could qualify for SSD and medicaid. I suggest you find out who the health care "navigator" is in your community. Often it is United Way or a similar organization. They can give you a free consultation about your options.

me2
09-21-2017, 01:34 PM
Thanks for all the ideas. I really appreciate it. It's too late for me to get a Jewish grandparent but I would do it if I could. As I learn more I'll put back what I come across in this thread as there are probably other people in a similar situation.

Alias
09-22-2017, 11:47 AM
Obviously the Senate vote that is to take place next week, or by 9/30 at the latest, is of great importance to anyone hoping to maintain or get insurance in the private market, as well as those on medicaid. So I'd say your options will to a large extent be defined by the outcome. If the latest proposal passes, what you can get will depend in part on what state you live in.

Alysia's idea about moving to another country is not completely crazy, depending on your circumstances. I know people who have moved to South America (Costa Rica, Ecuador) and live well on very little money and have cheap and adequate health care. It's not an appealing option for me, but many have done it.