PDA

View Full Version : Urinalysis

snooz23
01-21-2010, 12:11 PM
Just wondering if anyone has had experience w/ having abnormal results w/ protein, bacteria, Leuk Esterase and high WBC and RBC in the urine. I guess I am hoping it may be some kind of infection rather than wgs affecting the kidneys. My BUN and creatinine in the blood is in normal range. Since I am still at the point of blood work/urinalysis on a weekly basis my docs caught it early and have ordered additional tests, but just thought I would see if anyone out there has experience?

pberggren1
01-21-2010, 12:18 PM
I didn't know I was an alysis!

Jokes aside, I don't think I have had that before Susanne. Sometimes I get clasts in the urine but not White or Red Cells. Maybe a litle protein. What is Leuk Esterase?

JanW
01-21-2010, 12:24 PM
Is weekly blood and urine analysis standard on a new diagnosis, and for how long? I'm new to all this -- just diagnosed today.

pberggren1
01-21-2010, 01:07 PM
From what I have heard every week is normal in the beginning and once in remission usually every month will do.

elephant
01-21-2010, 01:35 PM
Urinalysis that shows protien, wbc and rbc means that you could have an infection, but they would have to culture that and that takes 48 hrs. Don't get alarmed yet. If your creatinine is with-in normal limits than you should be good. With a bladder infection you usually have burning when peeing. Sometimes lower abdominal pain and back pain. Were hoping not a WG flare.

snooz23
01-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the input.
Jan, I have been doing weekly blood/urine tests since dx and treatment begin 9/2009...sometimes I am like jeeeez how many times do I have to go get stuck at the lab? but I guess it is for stuff like this...they need to catch stuff early. I am currently on metho. and pred. and bacterim and folic acid and lots of vitamins--never taken so many pills in my life.

snooz23
01-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Hey Phil--I know I shouldn't do this but.....I cannot find the other thread when you asked how I was doing--besides this small little glitch (the urine issues) quite well. I am consulting on hearing aids next week and am very anxious to see and feel how they work out. I am completely over the hearing amphlifier I have been using for 6+months.

pberggren1
01-21-2010, 05:37 PM
Thats great news Susanne. Is your hearing stabilized? What I mean is from day to day or even month to month does your hearing change?

moyan
01-22-2010, 02:30 AM
Hi there, it took 1 ½ year and suddenly one day the blockage in my ear just disappeared!

Sangye
01-22-2010, 03:36 AM
Snooz-- weekly blood and urine for months seems pretty excessive. Why on earth are they doing it that often? If you're on ctx, it's usually done every 2 weeks.

You really should question your doctor about this. You need to protect your veins. Not only do all those needle sticks cause scar tissue, but pred makes them fragile. I never had vein issues before I got Wegs-- before they did huge numbers of needle sticks. Now it's a major problem just to do blood work. An IV might take several hours of digging to find a vein, and they often blow right away.

GARYfromBOSTON
01-22-2010, 04:46 AM
A question on that. Is there anything one can do proactively to maintain healthy veins?

Jack
01-22-2010, 05:31 AM
I think that if you have vasculitis you have dodgy veins by definition.

snooz23
01-22-2010, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the input Sangye. I see Dr. Langford in Cleveland on Feb. 2 and will inquire why it is still so often (I do indeed want to "save" my veins). Also, I am on metho. not ctx which I understand to be less toxic and therefore I may not need to be this cautious with the drug. I have been swapping arms each time but I would really rather do it less.

My hearing does change daily, weekly--but not significantly. However I am noticing some bigger differences as I drop the pred. (I am at 10mg now). Moyan it's interesting to hear yours just cleared up one day? That would be wonderful! Did you also have the tinnitus (ringing in the ears) that disappeared?

elephant
01-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Hey, I see Dr Langford too! She is fabulous! Snooz23, my ears ring all the time and my ears feel full. The nephrologist that I say today looked in my left ear and said," it looked like some water back there.' I should up my prednisone to 10 mg for two weeks, I am on 5 mg. I am trying out the veramyst first. I need to talk with my rheumy first and let her know what is up. So I will call the Rheumy Monday. The ENT will probably want to put those grommets in my ears. I know that won't work. Let me know Snooz23 how your appointment goes with Dr Langford.

moyan
01-22-2010, 02:18 PM
Very seldom and very low ringing. Sound on TV is now way down. I always had superhearing and protected it. LOL Even put fingers in my ears at a VERY loud morning assembley in school when at work.

snooz23
01-22-2010, 03:13 PM
Yes, I noticed in the past you see her as well. I have a much shorter drive and have been making it once a month since all this started. She is incredibly thorough and willing to go over all questions, concerns, etc. Last time I was there, I asked about how many weggies she sees and she said she currently consults on and sees over 500 cases. I feel like I am in very good hands and following their directions to a tee, hoping to get to a point of remission. I'll keep you posted...

Sangye
01-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Gary-- low doses of vitamin C build connective tissue, including veins. Be very careful not to take too much vitamin C-- it boosts immunity and will work against your Wegs drugs. It's usually safe to take less than 1,000 mg/ day but since nutrition is highly individual, pay attention to your Wegs symptoms. Decrease the daily dose or frequency if you develop any Wegs symptoms at all.

Sangye
01-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Snooz-- I keep forgetting you see Dr Langford. Is she the one ordering weekly blood draws? If so, ignore my comments. She wouldn't do it if it weren't necessary.

I've never asked Dr Seo how many Weggies he treats. Last month he mentioned he has about 60 on rtx. That's an uncommon drug, so I can't imagine how many total. And he still knows every detail of what all my docs consider to be a very complicated case (mine).

GARYfromBOSTON
01-23-2010, 01:53 AM
Gary-- low doses of vitamin C build connective tissue, including veins. Be very careful not to take too much vitamin C-- it boosts immunity and will work against your Wegs drugs. It's usually safe to take less than 1,000 mg/ day but since nutrition is highly individual, pay attention to your Wegs symptoms. Decrease the daily dose or frequency if you develop any Wegs symptoms at all.

Thanks Sangye