PDA

View Full Version : Rituximab went off patent in the US last year, leaving it open to competition

Bing505z
07-13-2017, 02:47 AM
Celltrion and Teva look set to get a biosimilar of Roche’s blockbuster MabThera/Rituxan (rituximab) onto the US market ahead of rivals.
Rituximab went off patent in the US last year, leaving it open to competition from cheaper biosimilar versions.
It is Roche’s biggest selling drug, generating around $7.3 billion in sales in 2016, and more than $3.9 billion of this revenue was based in the US.
It is used in non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, chronic lymphocytic leukaemia, rheumatoid arthritis, granulomatosis with polyangiitis, and microscopic polyangiitis ......

Read more here: https://pharmaphorum.com/news/celltrion-teva-file-rituximab-biosimilar-us/

Bing505z
07-13-2017, 02:52 AM
FDA Will Review Application Seeking Approval of Truxima for Same Indications as Rituxanhttps://lymphomanewstoday.com/2017/07/11/fda-review-biologics-license-application-truxima-biosimilar-rituxan/

MikeG-2012
07-13-2017, 03:02 AM
If approved, it might be a more affordable option for a lot of folks!!!

Nice find!

blu4runner
07-14-2017, 03:09 AM
Wow this is great news if it gets approved

Alysia
07-16-2017, 01:48 AM
Celltrion and Teva look set to get a biosimilar of Roche’s blockbuster MabThera/Rituxan (rituximab) onto the US market ahead of rivals.
Rituximab went off patent in the US last year, leaving it open to competition from cheaper biosimilar versions.
It is Roche’s biggest selling drug, generating around $7.3 billion in sales in 2016, and more than $3.9 billion of this revenue was based in the US.
It is used in non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, chronic lymphocytic leukaemia, rheumatoid arthritis, granulomatosis with polyangiitis, and microscopic polyangiitis ......

Read more here: https://pharmaphorum.com/news/celltrion-teva-file-rituximab-biosimilar-us/

Thanks for sharing. Wonderful picture with your beautiful baby and wife.

My fear is that the health service will prescribe the generic med which will not be as good as the original. I saw it with few meds when the generic is bad version.

Bing505z
07-18-2017, 11:38 AM
If approved, it might be a more affordable option for a lot of folks!!!

Nice find!

Lets hope so!

Bing505z
07-18-2017, 11:40 AM
Thanks for sharing. Wonderful picture with your beautiful baby and wife.

My fear is that the health service will prescribe the generic med which will not be as good as the original. I saw it with few meds when the generic is bad version.

Ty for your kind words. Hope this option works just as good as the original!

vdub
07-20-2017, 03:33 PM
This is big news! I do understand the need for pharms to get back the money they have invested in research, but sometimes the costs are just astronomical.

Several weeks ago I mentioned that I have been dx'ed as hypopara. The typical treatment is calcitirol and calcium tabs which is very cheap, but I'm now trying a pth replacement called natpara. It costs about $800 per daily injection. I don't know if I can justify staying on it.

MikeG-2012
07-21-2017, 04:20 AM
It costs about $800 per daily injection. I don't know if I can justify staying on it.

OUCH!!

Hope your insurance is covering it!

vdub
07-21-2017, 06:15 AM
Hope your insurance is covering it!
It does, but it is an awfully unfair expense for the taxpayers. Unless it works wonders, I won't continue it.

Pete
07-21-2017, 07:08 AM
It does, but it is an awfully unfair expense for the taxpayers. Unless it works wonders, I won't continue it.

Hey, the bozos in Washington are an unfair expense to the taxpayers too!! Just sayin'...

vdub
07-21-2017, 07:06 PM
Hey, the bozos in Washington are an unfair expense to the taxpayers too!! Just sayin'...
I certainly can't argue with that.... :-)