PDA

View Full Version : Fatigue and Rituxan

tomary76
04-11-2017, 11:59 AM
I just finished my 4th Rituxan infusion. I am so fatigued and short of breath. Is this normal? I'm sure everyone is different but is there an average time of when I will feel better?

Pete
04-11-2017, 12:37 PM
If you're really struggling to breathe, call your doc ASAP.

My last infusion (1 gm) last fall went fine. I had a hard time getting to sleep the night of the infusion. That was probably due to the steroids and lack of activity that day. I was a little tired for about 36 hours, but it wasn't debilitating at all. I've never had SOB with rituximab.

tomary76
04-11-2017, 01:05 PM
Thanks Pete for responding. I just get short of breath when I try to do things. I get really exhausted. This is not usually me, although I was like this before I even started my 1st infusion. I really didn't have any side effects from the infusion. I'm not sure if the Rituxan takes time to actually work. Maybe I was hoping the Rituxan would be the miracle and Instant drug.

Pete
04-11-2017, 01:33 PM
Rituximab takes several weeks to take full effect, so be patient.

I had a bit of lung damage when the disease hit. It took most of two years to heal. So, I was a bit short of breath upon exertion. I still get a little short of breath when I overdo -- especially in cold weather. That said, I lead a life that's very similar to my pre-wegs life.

Alysia
04-13-2017, 01:54 AM
I think that you need to ask your wg dr or pulmonary dr about your shortness of breath.
Rtx might start to work only after 2-3 months. Fatigue might be wg related.

tomary76
04-13-2017, 04:50 AM
I think you are correct Alysia. I wasn't sure if it was the Rituxan or the tapering of Prednisone causing fatigue and my Shortness of Breath is with exertion. I just read an article about Rituxan from the drug company. It says that it can take up to 8 wks from the 1st infusion to start feeling better. And it also goes along with what what you said Alysia. I had fatigue before the Rituxan and now after.

I wasn't sure what it was but I think its just the disease process. Its been 5 weeks, so hopefully I don't have much longer to to. I will let you all know in a few weeks. Thanks for this site and good information.

PS: My vision has also been affected. Not as clear as it was, or maybe I need new glasses!!

Alysia
04-14-2017, 02:21 AM
How much pred are you on now ? How fast did you reduced it ? It can sure also be the result of too fast pred taper.
AND I just found this one today, so yes, rtx can cause a feeling of weakness:
Will you have Asthenia with Rituxan? - eHealthMe (http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/rituxan/asthenia/)
Thanks to crowneagle who posted it on facebook wg group.
Just pay attention that there is no weggie in this research.
Shortness of breath can also be related. I think that you need to see your pulmonary dr.