PDA

View Full Version : Cindy at Iditarod

vdub
03-07-2017, 07:18 AM
I saw AlaskaTom the other day. Also, Cindy. She was at the table next to ours at the Iditarod Musher's dinner. And, I got a picture of her heading out into the great white north for a couple weeks of dog sledding 900 miles from Fairbanks to Nome in -40 weather. You can follow her progress here:
Iditarod - Last Great Race on Earth® (http://iditarod.com/)

Alias
03-07-2017, 01:27 PM
Nice hat Vdub! I have one almost as silly looking. Say what you will, but there is nothing like a fur hat once the temps get to single digits and below.

Cindy, we are all cheering for you.

Debbie C
03-08-2017, 02:53 AM
vdub, are you in Alaska?

vdub
03-08-2017, 03:44 AM
Cindy, I was in Alaska. We came home last night. We went to Anchorage to visit my daughter and her husband and to see the Iditarod.

Tom, those hats are wonderful and so super warm. Not much opportunity to wear them in the lower 48, though. Once I wore mine while skiing and all the teenagers thought it was real rad. I'm not sure if that means far out or what. :-)

Cindy started the race as #31 (her bib number). She has since dropped to 60th place, but its a long, long race.
Current Race Standings - 2017 Iditarod - Iditarod (http://iditarod.com/race/2017/standings/)

marta
03-12-2017, 06:58 AM
Love it vdub.
I remember when you suggested to Cindy that she do it after her climbing conquests, and she took the suggestion and mushed with it.
All you all are amazing (like my attempt at American?)

Peace!

Alysia
03-13-2017, 05:08 AM
Love it vdub.
I remember when you suggested to Cindy that she do it after her climbing conquests, and she took the suggestion and mushed with it.
All you all are amazing (like my attempt at American?)

Peace!

I miss you, marta..

Pete
03-17-2017, 01:07 PM
Cindy is probably going to earn her second red lantern for finishing in last place. Hope she and her dogs are ok.

Alias
03-17-2017, 01:59 PM
Finishing this thing in last place is still an amazing win... Hang in there Cindy.

vdub
03-18-2017, 01:26 PM
Tom is right! Just finishing the Iditarod by anyone is quite amazing. You can't even begin to imagine what it might be like until you've stood out in -40 weather with a 40 mph wind and you know you have to be in that weather for 5 or 6 days minimum. Then, put on top of that, knowing that you are miles and miles from anyone, its pitch black or, even worse, the snow is falling horizontally and you can't see your hand, let alone the trail, and then you hear the howl of a couple wolf packs or maybe the sharp crack of ice breaking as you're crossing a river. Good times!

It is such a stringent race that I almost wish she wasn't carrying the vasc flag, because if she has wegs and can complete the iditarod, then why can't I even walk to my mailbox. Doesn't seem quite fair does it?

I think most of you know that I'm on my way to Mayo. We stopped at Spearfish tonight and all the motel had for a room was one on the 2nd floor. It was tough getting to the 2nd floor. Iditarod? Not more me... I couldn't even complete the 5 mile ceremonial start in Anchorage.

mishb
03-19-2017, 12:11 AM
She certainly is a superwoman and I do mention her courage to many people.
Never say Never :thumbup:

Vdub, I hope you have a safe trip to Mayo and I hope you get some more answers.
You ae certainly superman, with all the you have to deal with. You continue to push through it.

Take care and .........

Geoff
03-21-2017, 04:48 AM
Great thread Vaughn!

You succeeded where I couldnt last year on my trip, meeting Cindy and at the Iditarod! "Cool" photos.

Congratulations Cindy on your 2nd Red lantern award;

Best of luck to you Vaughn on the next part of your "Big Adventure"/Endurance roller coaster!

annekat
04-19-2017, 02:04 PM
Wow, I don't know how I missed this.. must be this stupid phone and Tapatalk. How great that more Weggies got together, and that Cindy finished the race again. And seeing Alaskatom, an unexpected surprise!

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk