PDA

View Full Version : My Story - MikeG2012 in an ad campaign

MikeG-2012
09-20-2016, 04:39 AM
I was hesitant to post this here, because I am a pretty private person, but you're all my friends here and it is already on the clinic's website, so here goes...

About 2 months ago, I had a film crew in my home filming "My Story" for the Monroe Clinic health care system. They produce an entire ad campaign behind the person, and I am on for the month of September. I've been in: a video on their website, a 1/4 page ad in two area newspapers, signs and posters around the clinic and there is even talk of a billboard! (YIKES!!)

Anyway, here's the link to My Story (https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL-rINARim5E-KTARTp7WBFOZQopfxkDDq&v=g5GOd4OL2H0):

Enjoy!

Debbie C
09-20-2016, 05:53 AM
WOW Mike, you did a fantastic job !!! You should post the newspaper ads on here. I can see you on a billboard now :hug3:

blm
09-20-2016, 06:20 AM
Nice Mike. I also have work in video production and have been involved with many patient testimonies over the years. You did a great job on camera. Very relaxed and sincere. Sorry for your experience, but great opportunity to tell people more about the disease.

Thanks for doing this for your team.

Becky

MikeG-2012
09-20-2016, 07:12 AM
Nice Mike. I also have work in video production and have been involved with many patient testimonies over the years. You did a great job on camera. Very relaxed and sincere.

Yea, I was an independent video producer for over 20 years, and I'll tell you it was much easier BEHIND the camera!! LOL!

Awareness is what all of us need, and I continue to do my part, one small step at a time.

Now when the billboard comes out, that's a LARGE step! ROFL!!

MikeG-2012
09-20-2016, 07:22 AM
Here's the print ad

Gab122
09-20-2016, 07:45 AM
So cool!
Great picture!!
[emoji106][emoji4]

MikeG-2012
09-20-2016, 07:49 AM
So cool! Great picture!!
It's a the end of my driveway! (-8

Gab122
09-20-2016, 07:55 AM
Nice!!! [emoji106]

vdub
09-20-2016, 01:27 PM
This is great, Mike! You're a good ambassador for the disease! In fact, probably the best I've seen. Even running the Iditarod doesn't top what you have done!

MikeG-2012
09-21-2016, 01:37 AM
This is great, Mike! You're a good ambassador for the disease! In fact, probably the best I've seen. Even running the Iditarod doesn't top what you have done!

I don't know about telling my story being better than the running the Iditarod VDub, but I am trying to do my part.

Although, I just realized lately that I have now educated an entire health care system on the term vasculitis, so next time they see a patient in trouble, they might just think of it.

Thanks for the very kind words, I do, wholeheartedly, appreciate it!!!

Titus3:2
09-21-2016, 03:05 AM
Mike ,great video.You are a great ambassador for this disease.Hope you are able to get out and hug a curve on your bike.Good luck,Keith.

annekat
09-21-2016, 05:48 AM
Excellent work, Mike, you have really made a contribution by doing this. Great to hear your voice, too! And your endorsement of the Monroe Clinic will mean a lot to anyone in your area and beyond.

Yvonnea
09-21-2016, 11:56 PM
You did a wonderful job Mike! Great to hear a positive story. You and your wife look very happy. ps. love your dogs...We have a 6 year old Golden. They really are the best therapy.

Alysia
09-22-2016, 03:55 AM
So nice to see you Mike :) such a wonderful video with an important info, clear & helpful. You are blessed with special team of docs who treat you in the best way possible. Thanks for sharing ♡

Jaha
09-22-2016, 10:39 AM
Wow you have such a great voice, to tell your story with. Thank you for doing what you are doing, for the awareness of Vasculitis, you could be very instrumental in saving others lives. The video was one of the best that have seen. The Bill board will also be fantastic, with you and your wife on your bike. Keep up the good work! Stay well!

MikeG-2012
09-22-2016, 11:39 PM
Wow you have such a great voice, to tell your story with. Thank you for doing what you are doing, for the awareness of Vasculitis, you could be very instrumental in saving others lives. The video was one of the best that have seen. The Bill board will also be fantastic, with you and your wife on your bike. Keep up the good work! Stay well!

If the billboard does come to fruition, I'll definitely take a photo by it and show it to my friends here.

Thanks for the enthusiastic and kind words Jana!

blm
09-23-2016, 12:01 AM
Mike -

Your story is so inspiring. After just being diagnosed in August, I am now working with a number of doctors who don't appear to be communicating at all. Though they are in the same hospital system and share my records they do not take a team approach to my care. Just saw my rheumy yesterday for the second time. My first visit lasted about 5 minutes. The second, I took my daughter with me, and it lasted longer. We had a long list of questions for him and made him sit there and talk to us. So he informs me that he is treating my WEGS. Ok. So I said, do I call you with any symptoms about a flare up? He said yes. So why do I need a primary care doc? He can't be my primary care doc because he doesn't have time. So can I get a flu shot and a pneumonia shot? Sure, he says, but we should wait till later in flu season to get it. Again, so why do I need a primary care doc?

So my daughter and I asked him if he would be interested in consulting with one of the groups around the country that are working with a lot of WEGS patients and he seemed offended stating that we really didn't need a second opinion because I was a classic case, but "do what you need to do''. It wasn't very encouraging. He was so defensive. We weren't discounting his knowledge, just suggesting other voices and opinions could be helpful.

Believe me, I know that I'm lucky they found my WEGS early, but I don't want to discount or have my doctors discount the seriousness of the disease. I am so glad and encouraged to hear that your doctors all sat in a room together and talked with you. I could definitely do with some "new-age science old-fashioned, bedside manner" and I'd appreciate a little more empathy to counsel me through this major life change.

Hope I can find a team like yours.

Anybody understand what I'm talking about here?:confused1:

Sorry for the rant, but thanks again Mike for sharing your story!

-Becky

Dirty Don
09-23-2016, 03:36 AM
Ranting is good, bet you felt better...can they bottle 'rant effects'? What! Teaming up is important, especially to this disease, but would work for many more. I would consider consulting on my own if your doc won't. You may have copies of your records at any time to show another doc. Don't know if you're close to any research & medicine hospitals, but they seem to have the best team systems...I had a team at Mayo before I knew I was on a team! Keep at it, maybe your doc will eventually agree or at least work with you. Best to you.

DWendy
09-24-2016, 01:20 AM
This is an amazing, inspiring video Mike......Thank you for sharing your story. It sounds like you have finally found a wonderful team!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MikeG-2012
09-24-2016, 04:13 AM
Mike -

Your story is so inspiring. Hope I can find a team like yours.

Sorry for the rant, but thanks again Mike for sharing your story!

-Becky

Sorry to hear you aren't really happy with your rheumy Becky. Is there another system near you where you can make an appointment with the rheumy there and "interview" him/her? Is there a Vasculitis Research center near you? Might be worth the drive...

Thanks, and I'll keep up the awareness campaign! (-8

blm
09-24-2016, 04:41 AM
Sorry to hear you aren't really happy with your rheumy Becky. Is there another system near you where you can make an appointment with the rheumy there and "interview" him/her? Is there a Vasculitis Research center near you? Might be worth the drive...

Thanks, and I'll keep up the awareness campaign! (-8

We are investigating that. Nothing very close though. Nearest about 2 - 3 hours away. Not bad. I don't know if I'm ready to give up on him yet. I think he knows what he's doing, it's more a personality and emotional support kind of thing. We're new in this relationship after all. If I don't think I'm getting good care you can bet I'm gonna shop around!

thanks for the advice!

BookNut
09-25-2016, 02:49 AM
Mike - this is absolutely awesome! Thank you so very much for sharing this. Your point about your professionals working as a team is so important, and it is obvious that they are responsible for you getting the treatment you needed. It was great to see you and be able to "picture" you better as a person!