PDA

View Full Version : fever from 1st rtx infusion

im so blessed
08-10-2016, 10:40 PM
Hi All, Could you all please help put my mind at rest? I had 1,000 mg of rituxan this past friday. I started with a low grade fever on saturday morning. My fever stays below 100. But i have just been miserable feeling. I am on my 5th day now. How long will this go on? I did email my dr, who told me to take tylenol and see my pcp if it continues. My pcp didnt know what rituxan was when i told her several weeks ago i was gonna get it. If i just have to ride this out i will, I just didnt know i was gonna feel sick still. Thanks alot!

blu4runner
08-11-2016, 03:11 AM
Sorry to hear you got a fever I have not had it happen to me Best wishes to feel better

Gab122
08-11-2016, 04:44 AM
I had my first Rituxan infusion Monday. I was told to call them if I had a fever of 100.2 or above. I was told about 3% of people feel flu like symptoms following Rituxan infusion. It's Wednesday though - that's a long time to feel awful. Maybe call your GPA dr again?
God bless
Gab

im so blessed
08-11-2016, 05:36 AM
Thanks guys, and Gab122 Im glad to hear what they told you about calling if its above 100.2. Mine hasnt been that yet. I guess time will tell. I hope it changes soon or Im not sure how i feel about getting my next infusion on the 19th.

gilders
08-12-2016, 11:39 PM
I have had no serious complications to RTX until my last infusion. Since it was my eighth infusion and others had gone well, I am inclined to believe that it wasn't a reaction to the infusion, but a severe cold/flu that I struggled with because RTX had severely suppressed my immune system.

im so blessed
08-13-2016, 07:22 AM
How soon after your infusion did you get sick? I know that infection is one of the risks with this drug. I hadnt even thought that that could mean as soon as we get the infusion...I just thought it meant we need to be very careful after we have it. I started with fever within 24 hrs of infusion and it is 1 week today i still have it. I went to my pcp and she checked me over and cannot find anything, she and my rhuemy are saying its just a side effect of the rtx. I dont know Gilders, you would think after having this dumb disease under our belt for so many years(15 for me) that we would have some things figured out. I guess dont take a day for granted, right? That is something i have concluded.

gilders
08-13-2016, 06:15 PM
The day after the infusion I was more fatigued than usual, but this is usual for me. The day after that I wasn't improving, but didn't suspect anything wrong. On the next day I had a sore throat. It was on this day that I was waiting to have a blood test at a different hospital and many patients were coughing and sneezing. The day after I began to feel a little better,but for the next few days I got worse each day. By the 9th day after my infusion I had the worst cold/flu that I have ever had, but fortunately my temperature didn't get severely high.
Once this virus had reached it's peak, 48hrs later I had improved a great deal and had a fairly normal cold which stubbornly lasted about a further 15 days.

I do believe that I caught a virus in hospital and it's likely, due to my symptoms, that I caught a virus in both hospitals. I still don't think it was a reaction to RTX. I am due my next dose next month and will see how it goes.

Alysia
08-13-2016, 08:48 PM
I agree with gilders that the fever can be some bug or infection. Never heard of fever as a side effect of rtx. We are greatly immune compromised right after it, because the protocol of giving it includes steroids in IV 120mg to prevent allergic reaction, and it suppresed our immune system right away.
Are you feeling better ?

im so blessed
08-14-2016, 07:23 AM
Thanks Alysia, I am over the fever. Just feeling very tired. I actually only got 50 mg of solumedrol in my iv...which i thought odd being i had a bigger dose of rituxan the first time. Im getting 1,000 mg 2 times, with 2 weeks in between. I know most on here do 4 weeks at what-375mg?

Gab122
08-14-2016, 08:38 AM
I'm glad your fevers gone! Feel better soon! 🙏🏼

Alysia
08-15-2016, 01:19 AM
Thanks Alysia, I am over the fever. Just feeling very tired. I actually only got 50 mg of solumedrol in my iv...which i thought odd being i had a bigger dose of rituxan the first time. Im getting 1,000 mg 2 times, with 2 weeks in between. I know most on here do 4 weeks at what-375mg?

Each country with its own way. I get 1000mg twice, 2 weeks between. But I think others got 500mg each week for 4 weeks. Over all its about 2000mg for average body weight.