PDA

View Full Version : My turn to Flare

blu4runner
07-21-2016, 02:18 AM
Well it's my turn to have a flare. My last Rituximab or prednisone was April 2015 and I started a flare last weekend. Met with DR Merkel on Monday and started 60mg prednisone daily and infusion of Rituximab scheduled for this Friday. Staring with 4 weekly infusions and follow up from there.

mordeco
07-21-2016, 02:51 AM
Hope you will make it thru this ok! How were you 100% sure that you were flaring?

blu4runner
07-21-2016, 03:41 AM
Started with the joint pain and inflammation then upper respiratory symptoms Purpura appeared and biopsy done and labs show increase in CRP Sed Rate and my B cells are back in full force.

gilders
07-21-2016, 04:53 AM
Sorry to hear of the flare. At least you're set up for Rituximab without a long wait or fight.
Hope all goes well.

Pete
07-21-2016, 05:00 AM
Hope you caught it early enough so that things don't get too far sideways. Get well quickly!!

Middlesista
07-21-2016, 10:06 AM
Sounds like you and your doc are on this flare quickly - be well and get well. You will get this in control blue4runner!!!

MikeG-2012
07-22-2016, 07:05 AM
Well it's my turn to have a flare. My last Rituximab or prednisone was April 2015 and I started a flare last weekend. Met with DR Merkel on Monday and started 60mg prednisone daily and infusion of Rituximab scheduled for this Friday. Staring with 4 weekly infusions and follow up from there.

So you have been off the RTX for more than a year Victor? I didn't know we weggies could ever get off of it. There's eally no protocol at the FDA for when to stop using it, therefore, I thought all folks were like me and staying on it as long as it is working to keep chemically based remission.

blu4runner
07-22-2016, 07:15 AM
It was part of the clinical trial Last rituximab and prednisone 15 months ago. Now we have a baseline and will treat from that just have to start up with the 4 weekly infusions to get back on the right track.

mishb
07-22-2016, 09:37 PM
You gave it a red hot kicking Victor, I'm sorry that you are now flaring.

Thankfully you have an awesome doctor on your side and he is on to it straight away.

Best of wishes for a trouble free infusion so that you can kick it's butt again

rebekah
07-23-2016, 04:15 AM
Sorry to hear you are flaring! But I'm glad you and Dr. Merkel are on top of things to help prevent things from getting worse. I hope this round of rituxan helps, and you're feeling better soon! :)

Chadwyck
07-23-2016, 01:00 PM
I've heard a lot of good things about Dr. Merkel and I live in Canada. I'm sure you're in good hands. My question is about Rituximab. What are the side effects compared to the old cyclophosphamide way of doing things? I'm in the clinical trial for Abatacept but if I flare out of control I was told that Rituximab would be where I go.

Pete
07-23-2016, 01:46 PM
Although there are many listed possible side effects for rituximab, the most common are allergic reactions during the infusion and mild fatigue. The allergic reactions are usually well-managed by the treatment team. Fatigue generally lasts 24-48 hours and is generally mild enough to not interfere with normal activities. I've had six infusions, and the only side effect I've had is mild fatigue that lasts about a day.

Alysia
07-23-2016, 11:39 PM
Sorry about the flare Victor. My wg dr. Says that I must get rtx every 6 months. Few months ago I was late and got it 6 weeks later and started to flare. Please update us. Sending prayers ☆

blu4runner
07-26-2016, 01:31 AM
I have been very fortunate and have little effect from the infusions. 1 down and 3 more to go and we will be back in remission soon I hope. Thanks for all the support!!

Jaha
07-26-2016, 08:02 AM
I glad that you got one down without any issues. I am wishing you all the best with the next three and that it puts you back in remission soon. Please keep us up on things and take good care of yourself.

annekat
07-28-2016, 11:23 AM
Victor, sorry to hear about the flare, but we are learning more and more about managing this thing, and I'm sure you will get back on track with no problem! I'm glad you have a great doc like Dr. Merkel. Looking forward to hearing that things are improving as planned.