PDA

View Full Version : Sinus Cleansing (Neti Pot/Squeeze Bottles) - Bad Experiences?

TOBEY32
05-22-2016, 07:29 AM
I have used them off and on for years, but my sis tells me they can "backfire" as well. Don't want any backfires.
I can really get the gunk (if you get it bad you know "the gunk"), and I can't imagine NOT using it to clean that out. My sis says blowing my nose should be enough, but after several hours (awake or asleep) it gets crusty way up there and requires something more.
What have you heard if anything regarding anything negative.

David

Pete
05-22-2016, 12:58 PM
I can see where a squeeze bottle could suck stuff back in if not removed from the nose before releasing pressure. However, the pot is strictly gravity and less susceptible to sucking stuff back in.

MikeG-2012
05-24-2016, 08:56 AM
I was told once by my ENT that one cannot over rinse.

Lately, I've seen articles about healthy people spreading an infection through a squeeze bottle. Perhaps that is where your sis heard it. In HEALTHY people, there is a real possibility of spreading an infection from one side to the other by rising the infection across the nose.
In our case, the crusts ARE the infection, and usually both sides are affected. I've been running 3 liters through my sinuses at least once a day for the past 3 years. It is the ONLY thing that keeps my nose open. I've been using a water-pik of some sort for those three years. I've also worked with my ENT on how to get eh wand of the waterpik inside my nose and sinuses to get eh crusts out that way. Sounds bad, but when the alternative is going in to the ENT once a week for a cleaning, I'll rise like crazy.

Sounds like your sister wants to help, but she doesn't have a clue when it comes to managing the crusting that is caused by the damage this disease does to the nose and sinuses.

drz
05-24-2016, 10:36 AM
I was told once by my ENT that one cannot over rinse.

Lately, I've seen articles about healthy people spreading an infection through a squeeze bottle. Perhaps that is where your sis heard it. In HEALTHY people, there is a real possibility of spreading an infection from one side to the other by rising the infection across the nose.
In our case, the crusts ARE the infection, and usually both sides are affected. I've been running 3 liters through my sinuses at least once a day for the past 3 years. It is the ONLY thing that keeps my nose open. I've been using a water-pik of some sort for those three years. I've also worked with my ENT on how to get eh wand of the waterpik inside my nose and sinuses to get eh crusts out that way. Sounds bad, but when the alternative is going in to the ENT once a week for a cleaning, I'll rise like crazy.

Sounds like your sister wants to help, but she doesn't have a clue when it comes to managing the crusting that is caused by the damage this disease does to the nose and sinuses.

One said you can't over do it. The other ENT doc said if you start having some symptoms that might result from excessive saline rinsing, try backing off for a few days and see if it helps. Rinsing is unlikely to cause problems but it is possible that some one might encounter some especially if you use a heavy concentration of salt in the rinses, like double or triple strength from commercial packets. Then the salt might dry out the sinus linings. Adding any harsh additives might also create problems but a drop or two of baby shampoo or peroxide should be safe enough since those are sometimes recommended additives. The sinus rinse factory rep said xylitol is often use to reduce bacteria but I check it out and found it was very expensive at local health food store. It is however much cheaper that mupirocin mix which the ENT docs prescribe for serious sinus infections. I doubt though it would be as effective. a web site verifies his statement as I found this quote: "As a medicine, xylitol is used to prevent middle ear infections (otitis media) in young children, and as a sugar substitute for people with diabetes."

annekat
05-24-2016, 01:15 PM
I don't think people who don't either have WG, or some other condition that causes chronic mucus and crusting, can understand that blowing one's nose is NOT enough! I've only used the squeeze bottle so can't compare it with other methods, but it works for me. I may have to do it several times to get all the crud out. I mix up my own with about 1 part salt to 2 parts baking soda. It's important to disinfect the bottle every so often, and instructions for doing that in a microwave are given with the bottle. They also say to replace it every 3 months, and I don't do it quite that often, but it is probably a good idea.

annekat
05-24-2016, 01:22 PM
One said you can't over do it. The other ENT doc said if you start having some symptoms that might result from excessive saline rinsing, try backing off for a few days and see if it helps. Rinsing is unlikely to cause problems but it is possible that some one might encounter some especially if you use a heavy concentration of salt in the rinses, like double or triple strength from commercial packets. Then the salt might dry out the sinus linings. Adding any harsh additives might also create problems but a drop or two of baby shampoo or peroxide should be safe enough since those are sometimes recommended additives. The sinus rinse factory rep said xylitol is often use to reduce bacteria but I check it out and found it was very expensive at local health food store. It is however much cheaper that mupirocin mix which the ENT docs prescribe for serious sinus infections. I doubt though it would be as effective. a web site verifies his statement as I found this quote: "As a medicine, xylitol is used to prevent middle ear infections (otitis media) in young children, and as a sugar substitute for people with diabetes." It's interesting about the xylitol, because I once ate some chocolate that was sweetened with that. It was good, and I usually hate artificial sweeteners or even natural things like stevia as sugar substitutes. As for it or other things being expensive in health food stores, you might try Amazon, as I have been amazed by all the stuff they have and the reasonable prices. It pays to order enough things that you get free shipping. No, I don't work for Amazon.

marta
05-24-2016, 04:27 PM
The only thing that I've heard that makes my alarm bells ring is using water that hasn't been boiled or isn't purified before rinsing it through our sinuses. I read some cases, in more warmer climates than the one I live in, where amoebas and other nasties can lurk in the water if not disinfected before going up there, especially in our immune compromised situations with the treatment and all, that would be the only thing I can think of to be cautious about. Otherwise, I think this is one of the best ways to deal with the nasties that build up in there (which are not infectious, just behave and are perceived as such due to our immune system treating our own stuff like an infection - wherein lies the problemo.)
So as long as you keep it clean (both water and neti pot) it should be a benefit, not a hinderance.
IMHO.

annekat
05-25-2016, 01:00 AM
Good point about the water.They say to use distilled. I use water from a deep underground pressurized artesian spring that is tested regularly by the city. I keep it it in clean plastic jugs, and don't boil it, but it would be smart to, I'm sure. When in doubt, use distilled or boil.

TOBEY32
05-25-2016, 04:03 AM
It's the "amoeba-talk" that I think my sis read about, but it sounds like one just needs to be clean.
Have to admit: I don't change my bottle every 3 mos;
I don't sterilize before/after (I do take apart and rinse before and after w/ hot tap water);
And my water source is warmed water from my Brita.
I will try and apply better techniques. Sounds like I could still "up it" some.

David

annekat
05-25-2016, 07:28 AM
It's the "amoeba-talk" that I think my sis read about, but it sounds like one just needs to be clean.
Have to admit: I don't change my bottle every 3 mos;
I don't sterilize before/after (I do take apart and rinse before and after w/ hot tap water);
And my water source is warmed water from my Brita.
I will try and apply better techniques. Sounds like I could still "up it" some.
o
David You're not alone, David.... I certainly don't disinfect mine every time, only when I think of it, which isn't that often. And I certainly don't replace it every 3 months, only when the bottle starts looking worn and I feel like I can spend the money. We are all human, and I figure after doing it this way since around 2008 (pre-WG dx) and nothing bad happening, it must be OK. But any extra precautions would certainly not hurt, and might make you and your sister both feel better!

MikeG-2012
05-26-2016, 07:01 AM
Good point Marta! I run mine through a reverse osmosis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_osmosis) and a three level anti-microbial filter. I'm on a really good well in the country. No city impurities or chlorine, etc.

whatthewhat
05-27-2016, 03:18 AM
One more voice here: nose blowing did nothing for our daughter. All of the ENTs have said she can't rinse too often. She uses distilled water, replaces the squeeze bottles regularly, and uses the prepackaged NeilMed ingredients. (She tried adding a drop of baby shampoo but the next ENT said don't bother.

MikeG-2012
05-27-2016, 05:07 AM
(She tried adding a drop of baby shampoo but the next ENT said don't bother.

If there is uncomfortable drying of the nose, that is when the baby shampoo helps me the most.

annekat
05-27-2016, 06:19 AM
If there is uncomfortable drying of the nose, that is when the baby shampoo helps me the most. When I tried the baby shampoo, the mucus started coming out in a straight, thin line. I didn't really stick with it because my mucus problem was improving with the erosion of my sinuses and turbinates.... not a good thing, but less mucus and no more possibility of sinus infections, according to my ENT. But I still have mucus to rinse out, and I still know the satisfaction of "giving birth" to a really big blob, if not as big as before.