PDA

View Full Version : MTX and weight gain

NicShaf
05-10-2016, 08:29 AM
Hi everyone!
So, I apologize if this is a repeat question. I searched and didn't see any threads directly asking this question, so I am posting a new one.

Rheumy decided that I should start a maintenance dose of methotrexate; my blood tests have been all over the place since my pregnancy. I have been trying to lose my baby weight and get healthier, and I'm concerned that going back on MTX will cause a weight gain again. I couldn't find anything definitive online, and last time I took MTX was half with Pred, and half right after stopping Pred. So, I don't know if I lost or gained weight back then. (We all know how hard that Pred weight is to get off.)

Just curious if this is a for sure side effect. And what your experiences are with MTX after being drug free for a while.

Hope you're all doing well.

Pete
05-10-2016, 09:31 AM
Hi Nicole,

I doubt that you'll experience weight gain while on mtx alone. However, add high-dose (>20 mg) prednisone to the mix, and weight gain is more likely.

Alias
05-10-2016, 09:42 AM
I'm not seeing anything to suggest MTX directly causes weight gain. If you have side effects that cause you to be less active than you would be otherwise, maybe that would influence your weight? I lost most of my pred weight and puffiness, as well as the crazy pred appetite, after going off of it.

vdub
05-10-2016, 10:55 AM
Have to agree with Pete and Tom.... I never saw a weight gain due to mtx.

mishb
05-10-2016, 10:23 PM
Same here love.
No weight gain on MTX

NicShaf
05-11-2016, 04:03 AM
Thanks everyone. That makes me feel better; one less side effect to worry about.