PDA

View Full Version : My Story

mams57
04-13-2016, 06:33 AM
Hi all
I will try to touch on everything for an introduction but my experience has thus far been 12 years and I'm just receiving hope as to a diagnosis.
I began having trouble in about 2004-2005, severe pain going up steps and debilitating sinus issues. Constant sinus pain in my forehead, inflammation, right ear seemed constantly a mid ear fluid filled mess. PCP kept treating my chronic sinusitis but nothing helped after prednisone taper was finished. I was diagnosed with COPD ( I smoked ) for my shortness of breath and was told smoking was my problem. It was making me tired, run down and was keeping my sinus issue flared up. It appeared to be all my fault and I felt horrible for even bringing attention to my problems. After all, my fault.
As pain and stiffness became worse, sinus pain was waking me up 2-3 times per nite at times. I laid elevated, tried steroid nasal meds., nothing but steroids would help. I gained a pulmonary doc and began a regimen of Advair, Albuterol, nebulizer etc.. In 2006 I dropped a motorcycle by planting my foot too quick on a hill, a 500lb bike pinned me to the concrete shattering my tibia plateau/knee and top of tibia. Hardware and bone graft failed and ended up 1 yr later with total knee and post replaced with all metal. The real disease set in then. I ended up in telemetry ward for 7 days while Drs shook their heads. We were on vacay 1000 miles from home and I was so weak, sick and couldn't breathe and lost 14lbs the first 4 days. I thought I was dying, they feared I was, my sinuses and muscles/joints were horrible. They couldn't detect any reason for my plight, labs and things showed up fairly normal but decided to pump me full of steroids. Within hours I started improving and a couple days later gave me a long acting steroid injection ( 3-4 month acting ) and reluctantly let me go. Since 2010 I haven't touched a cigarette. I've still suffered all of the symptoms, pain, fatigue, fear, sinus, hoarseness, and now added osteoarthritis of the spine and joints. R F procedures on L4, L5, S1 and medial branch blocks to the nerves keep me going. Antibiotics and 3 -4 prednisone tapers a year have kept me from a death bed but until I finally got into a Rheumatologist I've had no real answers. She listened, looked, poked, prodded and read my extensive health file and said she believed it was Wegeners. I've taken 4 doses ( 1 month ) and have had minimal sinus pain and the fatigue is even better. It's been so long that I don't remember feeling even this great for years and trust me it isn't spectacular...😊 But I am alive, some better and grateful to think I may have the answer to a horrible nightmare. Thanks for reading my ramblings, feels good to know there are others who may understand that which I was unable to make sense of.....😊

renidrag
04-13-2016, 06:43 AM
We know it is hard to get a diagnosis but boy have you been put through the ringer. Glad you found us and really are a great group of people from all over the world. Where do you receive treatment and who is your Doctor. Others will be along soon to welcome you. When do you see the Rheumy again.
Dale

annekat
04-13-2016, 07:04 AM
Welcome! Every case history is one we can learn from, and yours is no exception! Did this rheumy who thinks you have Wegs begin treatment with our standard meds, such as cyclophosphamide or rituximab, along with more prednisone? You mentioned 4 doses but didn't say of what. I'm just glad, though, that you seem to be getting some recognition and help, and that you are feeling better!

Pete
04-13-2016, 07:04 AM
Welcome to the "club". As Dale has said, you've been through a lot. Hope your rheumy can treat you well so that you improve. I hope you get back to a "new normal" that allows you to enjoy life.

mams57
04-13-2016, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the responses. My Rheumy is at University of Cincinnati Hospital and her reputation is excellent. I go back in 3 weeks for a follow up and I'm sorry I didn't mention it in the post but she put me on Trexall 10mg per week to start with. She seems to think Bactrim might be an antibiotic to use when I get an infection but as I said earlier, I don't remember feeling this decent in years..... I haven't had any kidney issues but do have a past history of IBD and have had since I was 17 or so.... Had multiple nodules in my thyroid enlarge so they had to remove it. Writing all of this down makes me realize just how much I have been thru in the past decade or so. I'm rather grateful to still be here..��

MaxD
04-13-2016, 08:53 AM
A couple of suggestions: make sure to look through the vasculitisfoundation.org website, there is a wealth of information including vasculitis specialty centers. Also, it will be good to have your rheumatologist consult with one of the docs mention in the foundation website - and, if possible, see a vasculitis expert yourself and get a second opinion on your treatment. A bunch of folks here go to the Cleveland Clinic, one of the top vasculitis centers anywhere. Good luck, and hope you are on the path to remission soon.

annekat
04-13-2016, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the responses. My Rheumy is at University of Cincinnati Hospital and her reputation is excellent. I go back in 3 weeks for a follow up and I'm sorry I didn't mention it in the post but she put me on Trexall 10mg per week to start with. She seems to think Bactrim might be an antibiotic to use when I get an infection but as I said earlier, I don't remember feeling this decent in years..... I haven't had any kidney issues but do have a past history of IBD and have had since I was 17 or so.... Had multiple nodules in my thyroid enlarge so they had to remove it. Writing all of this down makes me realize just how much I have been thru in the past decade or so. I'm rather grateful to still be here..�� Aha, Trexall is methotrexate, a med that a lot of us use. That explains the 4 doses, since we take it once a week in pill form, several pills per dose, unlike some others where we take it every day or get it in infusions every so often. MTX may be used as an initial treatment in cases where the involvement is limited to the sinuses, ears, and nasal cavity. She will likely raise your dose on that, giving you time to get used to it. Usually if lungs and/or kidneys are also involved, we are started on something a little stronger like the CTX or RTX mentioned above. When we improve, we are switched to MTX or another milder med for maintenance. Bactrim is taken prophylactically with any immunosuppressant or prednisone to ward off certain lung infections that we are more subject to while being treated with these meds. Some may not prescribe it with MTX because of certain possible interactions, but many of us do take them together with monitoring by our docs. Almost all of us take prednisone along with the other drug, to reduce inflammation while the main drug is knocking down the abnormal immune response. If you are taking pred, that is likely to make you feel better faster than the MTX, with the high doses we start out on. A few people have trouble tolerating it. Well, anyway, yes, it helps to write things down, for me, too.... helps me keep things clear in my head.

mams57
04-13-2016, 02:33 PM
Thank you so much. I hate Prednisone and thankfully don't need it right now. If I have to take more than 40mg a day on a taper, it really affects my nervous system. Thank you all for the amazing info. I feel as though your experience is more beneficial than any thing I've came across. Truly grateful! ❤️

mams57
04-13-2016, 07:29 PM
Thank you for the info. I'm still getting used to navigating the Weg site so I wanted to respond. It's good to know Cleveland Clinic is rated highly by many on this site for vasculitis issues.

mams57
04-13-2016, 07:38 PM
Thank you. This has been a tough road but I'm hoping I'm rising from the ashes, so to speak. ��

vdub
04-14-2016, 07:09 PM
You certainly have had a longer road than most to dx. I hope they finally have it nailed down. Good luck!