PDA

View Full Version : Just FYI: Tried a Capsaicin Cream For Foot Neuropathy:

TOBEY32
03-31-2016, 05:19 AM
It's not the numbness that bothers me, it's the occasional pain I get on a small patch of the top of one foot that can flare and is painful to the touch, wearing shoes. etc.
I think it was that cream (the chili pepper) that affected those nerve endings, and kept me up all night. It had never flared like that. This happened the same day I began using it.
Just trying different things that may help OTC, as I don't see a doc re PN due to insurance.

For what it's worth. Some shared information. Just my experience.

David

Pete
03-31-2016, 07:19 AM
Hi David,

Just want to make sure I correctly understand your post. The capsaicin cream made your foot neruopathy worse? I get the occasional stab of pain - usually at the end of my big toes. I have the numbness as well. I haven't done anything for this. Part of the numbness pre-dates my wegs experience - isolated to the left big toe when I pinched a nerve during a spinal episode. However, I've noticed more numbness since my dx in 2011. At the moment, it seems to be subsiding a bit, but it never goes completely away. I've added a daily turmeric supplement (CuraMed 750 mg) to my diet. It's reduced the pain I experience in my left hip, and may be helping with the foot neuropathy.

annekat
03-31-2016, 08:01 AM
I mainly have numbness vs. pain in my feet, mainly in the toes. I found the capsaicin to help some but haven't done it consistently. The next day when washing dishes in warm to hot water, the hand that applied the capsaicin was burning! Running cold water on it helped. The next time I did it I was more careful to wash my hands completely when done. I've also found that Vicks Vapo-Rub or a generic version of it helps somewhat. And just the act of massaging something on them is part of what helps.

drz
03-31-2016, 10:34 AM
My pains decreased as numbness got worse. Now I suspect most of my foot pain is related to the broken foot and problems it caused with my gait.

Jaha
04-07-2016, 04:58 AM
I use a rub on called Activon, it does not burn your skin. I also have Lidocaine patches for pain in the joints. I have small fiber neuropathy in my hands and feet and most days have shooting pain in my hands mostly. It is really hard to make nerve pain go away, some days are worst then others. David maybe try some Activon and see what it does for you. I hope you find something to relieve your pain. Take care!

annekat
04-07-2016, 05:31 AM
I was standing in line at the pharmacy yesterday and saw several foot creams, some stated for neuropathy. Don't remember if Activon was there, though it seems likely. There was a homeopathic one called Frankincense and Myrrh that caught my eye, though I'm not sure about homeopathy. Most of what I saw was around $20. They do sound like a good alternative to the capsaicin which can cause a burning sensation. Will try one sometime when I can spare the $20. My neuropathy is not as bad as some, mostly some numbness and cramping in the toes, ad the cramping can extend into the lower leg as long as I'm lying down. If I take my magnesium and calcium pill right before bed, it seems to help with this and with falling asleep.

vdub
04-07-2016, 03:38 PM
A little bit off topic, but doesn't fit anywhere else. Along with all the other hormones that the pit took out, I have to replace testosterone. There's 3 ways to do that; shots (yuck), patches (not bad), and osmotic gels (my pref). I had started out with patches, but it was obvious from the gitgo that I was allergic to the patches. After two weeks, I ended up with spots all over my chest and back. Each day's patch, left a big red burn that took about two weeks to heal. So, I switched to osmotic gels. I use one called Fortesta for a very specific reason. It is the only one that puts two weeks or gel into a small container about the same size as a travel shave cream, so it was very easy to take 3 mo worth of testosterone with me when we traveled.

Well, damn, after 4 years of use, it looks like I'm now reacting to the gel in Fortesta. Prior to Fortesta I had used Androgel. Each of the two is very specific on where you can put it on. Fortesta goes on the thigh, whereas, Androgel goes on the abdomen. I now have two thighs that are burned quite badly from the Fortesta. I hope I can switch back to Androgel and not have to go to shots.

OK, I'm sorry, Toby.... Back to our regularly scheduled programming.....

Wee Gerry
04-09-2016, 03:04 AM
I currently take 300mg of Pregablin and 50mg of nortriptyline twice a day to control the pain caused by my neuropathy. I still suffer from numbness to feet and hands, pins and needles to arms and legs and red hot burning to arms and legs. The consultants have never mentioned applying any creams to help relieve the pain. After reading your posts I will be having a wee word with consultants as soon as I can.

TOBEY32
04-10-2016, 03:30 AM
Sorry to just be getting back:
Met w/ the clinic doc re my hernia. It's a double hernia. Next, the hospital will phone to set up the consultation w/ the performing doc. He will go over the procedure, pros/cons, etc., and schedule the procedure. Heard from a couple of people that one can be out-of-commission for weeks. I pray there's not too much of that, as I don't have a lot of vacation time or any short-term disability. A friend said he took the general anesthesia, but wishes he would've taken the local anesthesia like his father who was up and around within a couple of days (don't know if those results happen with everyone). Gonna ask about it.
Also, we talked about my PN (he has some too he said). He wrote a prescription for "gaba" if I wanted to fill it, but wasn't sure mine was at that point. He DID tell me, though, that otc Aspercreame WITH LIDOCAINE (someone mentioned lidocaine a couple of threads up); as well, fish oil and vit-b's. Some of this, of course, we might already know. Take what you might if you're still looking for relief. - David

vdub
04-10-2016, 06:42 PM
I'm on Gabapentin, Tobey! Its not bad stuff. My understanding is that it was approved as an anti-seizure medicine, but an alternate use is as a neuropath pain blocker. I'm on 600mg morning and then another 600mg in evening. I don't think I have any side-effects from it.

renidrag
04-10-2016, 09:33 PM
I too am on Gaba Gaba as we call it 1200 a day, no side effects and does seem to work.
Dale

drz
04-11-2016, 04:30 AM
I'm on Gabapentin, Tobey! Its not bad stuff. My understanding is that it was approved as an anti-seizure medicine, but an alternate use is as a neuropath pain blocker. I'm on 600mg morning and then another 600mg in evening. I don't think I have any side-effects from it.

i tried it years ago when I had more neuropathy pain and it messed up my balance so i kept bumping into walls and things. My neuropathy pain deceased as the neuropathy got worse and was replaced with general numbness like my feet feeling asleep all the time.