PDA

View Full Version : Grain-Free Cooking

BookNut
03-01-2016, 09:51 AM
As some of you know from a few posts here and many on Facebook - I have had great luck with a grain free diet. I just posted this on FB - but thought those who do not see my on FB might appreciate my input. Again - I do not have Wegeners. But I do have serious respiratory issues. Going grain free has transformed my health. Where I used to be almost incapacitated, certainly house-bound, for 4-5 weeks at a time, followed by 1-2 weeks feeling good - that has reversed and then some. I now feel really good for 4-6 weeks and then I might have a very minor downturn for a week. These downturns are no longer incapacitating AND they are usually the result of a "cheat". Once at Christmas because I ate Christmas Cookies, and then again because I ate something thickened with rice starch. Anyway - here is my latest Facebook post about my Grain-Free Diet Adventures!

Just downloaded a really good cookbook...The Gluten-free Almond Flour Cookbook by Elana Amsterdam. It is answering many of my questions about how to use almond flour. I found it eye-opening to read more about the benefits of using it over wheat flours and standard gluten-free flours. The nutritional superiority is amazing.

Nutritional values of 100g of almond flour and 100 g of white wheat flour:

Protein: AF(almond flour) 21.94 g. WW(white wheat flour): 9.71g
Carbs: AF 19.44 g WW: 76.22
Glycemic Index: AF < 1 WW: 71
Fiber: AF 10.4 g WW: 2.4 g

There are even bigger benefits over rice flour which has an astounding carb level of 80.13 g and a glycemic index of 98. No wonder my PCP told me to stop eating rice cakes when prednisone pushed my sugar levels up!

The ebook cost almost as much as the print book, but i use my ipad or iphone for all my recipes now, so the ebook made more sense. Here is the link:
http://smile.amazon.com/Gluten-Free-Almond-Flour-Cookbook-Breakfasts-ebook/dp/B009FKRFOK/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1456771791&sr=1-3&keywords=elana+amsterdam

Hope someone finds this useful. I am more than happy to answer questions about my adventures in grain-free cooking. There are lots of good substitutes and the weight loss is effortless.

debra
03-01-2016, 10:19 AM
Hi, Jacquie! Try also, coconut flour! It's awesome... Packed with fiber and protein and all the benefits of coconut... Nice seeing you Jacquie... Oh and good luck! Deb... Oh, and yes It's gluten free...

BookNut
03-01-2016, 10:42 AM
Thanks Deb! I have a recipe for chocolate chip cookies made with coconut flour and they taste awesome. I found this cookbook while searching for a version made with almond flour. I took the coconut flour cookies to a get together and at least a third of the folks passed on them because they do not like coconut. I did not realize so many people don't like it. Can't imagine why. But - they were really loaded with coconut clover - they were made with coconut oil, coconut flour and shredded coconut - along with the choc chips. Those who liked coconut thought they were awesome! I thought they were the best thing I've eaten in months and months!