PDA

View Full Version : Hearing loss

Mark76
02-29-2016, 09:31 PM
I lost partial hearing in the left and when i received high dose 3x 500mg of prednisone it cleared up next day. About 4 weeks later its gone back to partial loss again 😕. Has anyone experienced this or had hearing loss and its returned back to normal after treatment and if so how long did it take to return?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Middlesista
02-29-2016, 11:01 PM
HI Mark - I have read posts were folks indicated they were able to get hearing back. I lost the hearing in my right ear - thought it was just due to ear wax and was treating at home. This was before I was diagnosed with GPA and had no other symptoms. 3 days later developed vertigo, saw ENT and had MRI and was put on prednisone. Got ability to hear loud noises in that ear but no real usable hearing. ENT told me if I had gone to him sooner the outcome would have been better but due to swelling the nerve to my ear was not getting the supply of oxygen. Make sure you follow up with doc. If I knew I had GPA at the time I am sure I would have been a lot faster seeing a doc

Titus3:2
02-29-2016, 11:57 PM
Mark,my hearing in both ears has been called complex.Nerve damage,etc.My ENT told me I might as well be walking around with my fingers in my ears.I can hear okay on the phone,and using headphones.You should probably have a CT Scan to find out what kind of damage has been done.With early treatment you will probably gain back most of your hearing.At worse you may need a hearing aid.Good luck to you.

Mark76
03-01-2016, 12:01 AM
Yeah it just seems odd that it cleared up but then went again which indicates no or little nerve damage and may be conductive hearing loss. I still have some fluid in my sinuses as ive only just recently started treatment for wg so perhaps theres fluid in my ear again...heres hoping and not more permanent as i rely on my hearing as my occupation as a pilot

debra
03-01-2016, 08:27 AM
Hi, Mark... I just saw this and wanted to say, I lost partial in my left ear, no treatment caused it, I know that much!!!! Haha... Although you could look at that a couple different ways! But, Mark, it came back doing absolutely nothing! It took the longest so far, meaning it used to pop back in a couple hours or days, but this time took about three weeks, give or take a couple days... Most importantly, it did come back, so... Very strange sickness to say the least... I hope you remain optimistic and know this sucky sickness, is just weird... Good luck, Mark... Deb...

Mark76
03-01-2016, 08:40 AM
Sounds familiar...heres hoping

Jaha
03-10-2016, 12:46 PM
Mark,
I lost a lot of my hearing when I first got sick. I now have some hearing damage in my left ear that is permanent. When I am flaring, that is one of the first things that act up, is my ears and vertigo. I suppose I will have this off and on, but hope to have no more hearing loss down the road, as long as I'm on RTX.

Mark76
03-10-2016, 02:38 PM
Interesting...yeah i can hear them pop every now and then so i suspect fluid

Mark76
03-10-2016, 02:38 PM
All good points annekat..how u been anyway? Im ok...just wish my sinuses would clear which i think is causing my blocked ear and constant cough...its been 5 weeks since my first cyclophosphomide infusion so i would have thought they should start to clear by now???