PDA

View Full Version : VA and the health care system!

debra
02-24-2016, 06:56 AM
So, I was watching the news last night, and a segment on the VA health system came on, that I think is worth mentioning here, as its just a good example of how far down we have gone here... So this veteran who served I think thirteen years showed how hard it is to even get an appointment with a doctor. This man is from Boston, the greatest in medical care in the world, or certainly one of them... They showed him on video, going through step after step and getting no where. But here's the best part! This man has PTSD, and when calling the VA hospital suicide line, he was directed to a recording!!!!!!!!!!!! A recording! When you call the suicide hotline, and get a recording, I'd say the system is failing, wouldn't you??? This is in Boston, not that this should even matter! Wow, just wow... Here is a great example of how the system sucks! Why if some are on low income insurance or the Va, ect, will suffer greatly as opposed to others... Imagine now, if he had wegeners!!! Still, some will in fact luck out with that rocking doctor and that's great, others,, well, not so much, and that trully sucks... Sorry in advance for typos, but its Deb here, so what did ya expect??? Deb, NOT in Bora, bora... Very unfortunately...

debra
02-24-2016, 07:41 AM
So I wanted to follow up on my personal opinion on the above post... My own poor heath care, I can deal with however when I see a man, or woman for that matter that gave their whole, life to serve their country and get this kind of treatment, it makes my blood just boil!!! These men deserve the best, and their not getting it! A dog gets better treatment! It's just deplorable to say the least, and this is nothing new! I have an ex fiancee who was in the military, and when needing surgery to repair a valve in his heart, it broke his heart! What he went through! My brother is a Marine, he got sarcoids, and sarcoids is similar in its presentation to wegeners, especially in the lungs. He couldn't get care, his lungs were packed with granulomas! Just packed, so what he did, will shock most, but not me, as I know what the body is capable of. He started a very strict blood type diet, after turning down the pred. Doctors told him he was a fool, not so foolish, after all! Within months, of this diet, along with exercising as best he could, and some key supplements, he reversed things so much, that this one doctor wanted hum to speak at seminars... So did he??? No, do you want to know why? Because the medical system stopped him, as well as his doctor, that's why!!! Why stop him? Because if you figure out just how amazing the body really is, you might get idea's that's why! Then the pharmaceutical companies may suffer... Is this the answer for everyone? No, no not at all, but why not try, maybe both? Theres more that can be done for this disease called wegeners, and I know there is... AAccording to their study's, I'm not here anymore, I'm past my expiration date, of the six months to five year survival with no treatment... Ignore that extra A! No one has these answers except God, and I despise these old study's with a very strong hate... Just wanted to add to this... Debra...

Titus3:2
02-26-2016, 03:02 AM
Debra,very interesting thread.I am not a veteran,but do have some experience with the VA.About three years ago I applied online for a VA card for my dad.Not a big deal.He was given priority level seven out of eight levels of priority.So he was low priority.I drove him to the local VA hospital.They took his picture,and that and other info was suppose to be sent via the internet to the Atlanta headquarters.There was a computer glitch,and it was never sent.I spoke with at least 10 people on the phone,and got nowhere.Finally I went to the VA hospital,and miraculously got to the bottom of it.He died two weeks before his first appointment with a VA clinic.He was old,and was receiving good medical care elsewhere;nobody's fault. The VA hospitals that I have visited have really come along way in cleanliness,and patient accommodations.The only miracle life saving diet story also came from my dad.A coworker of his become very sickly,and the doctors could not figure out what was wrong with him.So he only ate fresh avocados,and coconuts.According to my dad,Henry regained his health,and more.Many people in the USA die prematurely just because of untreated high blood pressure,and lack of money is usually to blame.No telling how many people are walking around with undiagnosed GPA,and they are not to blame.Keep us updated on your healthcare journey.

debra
02-26-2016, 06:32 AM
Hi Keith... Keith im very sorry about youre dad... I have to say, the part about the suicide hot line and him getting a recording, just blew my mind!!! Why have one??? Crazy... Keith, i hope things are going well with you? I have to say, the story from youre dad, doesnt surprise me at all! Coconuts, coconut oil, avacados, ect., are two of the healthiest things in the world. They are called super foods... I could go on about nutrition forever, because thats were my study is... I was planning on being a naturopath, body ecologist, but... Stuff happens! Eighty percent of our immunity is in the gut, so healing this, would in turn be a benefit to every organ in our body... The gut has a brain... Keith, im doing good, while waiting on doctor appointments i have gone back to doing the health stuff i was doing before i got sick... So far, between this and prayer, I'm doing great in comparison to where I was... I'm going to contact my old naturopathic doctor and get his opinion on some stuff, and move forward. Don't know why I didn't reach out to him before? So Keith, maybe some gold label organic coconut oil is in order? And stop at the store and grab an avocado! Hell, grab a few! Take care Keith! Excuse any typos, you know the deal! Deb...

Pete
02-27-2016, 03:41 AM
I am a veteran. When I applied for VA medical benefits a year or so before I retired, I was placed in priority 8. At the time, I had no health problems, great health insurance, and a solidly middle-class income. The VA paid for me to finish my BA degree and paid for most of my masters degree. So, the VA isn't all bad.

However, I fail to understand why the government puts so much money into a separate and unequal medical system that serves many veterans so poorly. My idea would be to provide veterans with an upgraded Medicare plan so that all basic physical and mental health needs are covered at minimal cost to veterans (could be means-based). Veterans would also be able to access military doctors/hospitals (if more convenient than civilian care). Veterans should continue to have access to military medical centers of excellence such as Walter Reed (traumatic injuries and PTDS) and Brooke Army Medical Center (burns), again at minimal cost to veterans. I believe veterans would be much better served and the administrative costs of running the VA medical system would be largely eliminated.

debra
02-27-2016, 05:51 AM
Hi Pete... Pete, I agree with you, though I'll refrain myself on why I believe this is the case... Don't want to piss anyone off! I seem to do that, unknowingly! Haha... Well, I do mean well, so... Pete, hope things are good... Keith, I agree completely on how many are walking around undiagnosed!!! Or passed away, undiagnosed, I can't even imagine... Dont believe this sickness is rare at all! No, not by a long shot... Just recently I was reading about causes I had never even thought of, for example, floor coverings! Carpet treatments, artificial turf, laminate surfices ect, ect... Basically anything inhaled, or put in the body! Frainken food, and the gmo thing, pesticides... This roundup stuff just blows my mind! It's a battle for health for sure... One thing I really wish is more funding for research, but I also need to refrain here, yet again... Anyhoo, what can you do? Yes, that rhymed... Stay vigilant, and never ever let down that guard, cause its a crazy ride for sure! Debra... Unfortunately still not in Bora, bora... Oh! Excuse any typos, you know the deal...

vdub
02-27-2016, 06:21 PM
Things aren't exactly as might be reported by the media. The media want to sell advertising space, so they often look for the deepest snow drift to stick their stake in while reporting on the storm.

The same is true with their reporting of the VA. The VA is not sterling by a long shot, but they do a lot of good things. They have treated me very well when I've needed them. They didn't hesitate one bit to put me in the hospital a couple years ago when I was visiting Phil in Helena, MT and had a few problems. They kept me for several days while running tests and my regular VA hospital back in Walla Walla, WA called me personally to see if I was being treated well, so they aren't all bad.

Now, as far as vets go.... You can be a vet with as little as 24 hrs of active duty. Very few vets have spent a lifetime serving in the military -- most have served only 4 years or less. During Vietnam, most only served 2 years. If you have a permanent war injury, say the loss of a leg, then, yes, you are spending a lifetime of service. But most vets, even those who go to war, never see action, that is, they are never shot at or ever put in harms way.

I realize this thread has absolutely nothing to do with wegener's and is very close to a political rant, but I thought I'd try to explain a few things. I guess I should move the thread or delete it, but I'm to tired to do that tonight.....

debra
02-28-2016, 12:33 AM
I included the above story about the sarcoids, as something of hope, with people that maybe havent gootin treatment as if yet, and in NO way did i imply to forgo treatment!!! I thought this was a hopeful story, but it appears once again i was wrong! I just cant win, no matter how good my intententions are right? I thought support was important, but im learning that just doesnt apply to me... I tried ti help, and it seems i got punished for that? I tried making people laugh and smile, and get a little break from the dread of being sick, but got punished for this as well? Punished also, for not begging people to take me to boston, so im not doing enough, and yes, punished yet again! Wow, just amazing to me, that someone who meant nothing but good, could be treated this way! Vdub, by all means, go ahead and delete! Whatever you feel is right... Just really needed to say this... Thats all... My heart is broken, and i guess some here, will be hapoy about this... Best to you all, on youre journey to health... Debra...

debra
02-28-2016, 12:36 AM
Yes typos! Just can't get a damn break, here either! And wow, there's a lot! Sorry... Debra...