PDA

View Full Version : Memory loss/ forgetfulness

Lily0303
02-18-2016, 02:33 PM
Does any one else have problems remembering things? I have noticed recently I've been forgetting stuff I did half an hour before. I'm not sure if this is a common problem or if I'm slightly losing my mind lol any advice is always appreciated cause its really bothering me. Last night I thought I left our portable speaker at work when I put it in my backpack before went home.

drz
02-18-2016, 03:39 PM
Does any one else have problems remembering things? I have noticed recently I've been forgetting stuff I did half an hour before. I'm not sure if this is a common problem or if I'm slightly losing my mind lol any advice is always appreciated cause its really bothering me. Last night I thought I left our portable speaker at work when I put it in my backpack before went home.

Memory problems are common when taking pred meds as it impairs our concentration. Other meds we need to take for treatment may also affect our cognitive function, some times short term and some longer term even after we stop taking the drug.

Lily0303
02-18-2016, 03:57 PM
Ok, good to know. Been feeling like crap because memory is only getting worse. People have been getting mad because i forgot what they told me etc. Thank you :)

annekat
02-18-2016, 04:05 PM
Some of us were diagnosed at middle age, when most people start to have these issues anyway. But yes, it is worse since my dx, I'm sure drz is right about the drugs being a cause, and I'd also guess maybe the blood and oxygen supply to our brains has diminished some, and that the fatigue that most of us feel can take a toll on our memory.

MikeG-2012
02-19-2016, 01:45 AM

Lily:

I had a brain MRI once because I was having similar issues. My rheumy wanted to make sure that I did not have an inert version of Bovine spongiform encephalopothy (BSE), commonly known as mad cow disease. (I think I have the right science quoted here)

BSE is absolutely aggravated with anyone that has even the inert enzyme in their brain and then takes Rituxan. In my case, they found nothing in the MRI (yes, I'm opening myself up for this one), so everything was OK. It was an expensive procedure to find nothing, but that was what we were hoping for.

I'm not trying to worry you at all, just pointing out that our disease has many facets that we need to be aware of, and that we need to be watch out for too.

NikkiNicole
02-19-2016, 03:29 AM
I have a hard time remembering words that I know very well. It's weird. I will struggle with a word (not common words like hello or whatever) and then I get really frustrated because this is a new thing for me. But, I don't know if it is disease related or that I've reached capacity and just can't remember anything anymore.

MaxD
02-19-2016, 04:54 AM
In one word: prednisone!

annekat
02-19-2016, 05:04 AM
In one word: prednisone! Hey, Max, thanks for reminding me, I almost forgot to take my prednisone this morning!

BookNut
02-19-2016, 09:49 AM
I find that prednisone has a real effect on my concentration levels. I am ok at 8-10 mg, but put me up to 20 and more and I find that I must triple check myself when I set up my meds. And my mind seems to wander.

It is also interesting to see the recent study that showed an increase in dementia with long term use of acid reflux meds like prilosec, nexium, etc. I worry about my husband. He forgets a lot of recent stuff, not so much the things in the past. And he has been taking one of those meds for years. I want him to talk to his doctor. The study was only with folks over 75 - but still cause to think about it.

rebekah
02-19-2016, 02:37 PM
I'm with Max on it being the prednisone, but I blame pred for everything! I definitely have had a hard time remembering things since being diagnosed and starting all of the medications. I never had a problem before, but it has made retaining information, especially for school, difficult.

mishb
02-20-2016, 12:05 AM
Actors, movies, songs, day to day words - just don't come to me anymore.

I swear my family think that I am getting alzheimers

Both of my girls work with me, and they have seen that I struggle with words now, and when I once chaired boardroom meetings, it now takes all of my concentration just to take in what everyone is saying. Thankfully, with my girls being there too, they can (and do) jump in and finish my sentence for me.
My daughter has now started recording the meetings for me, so that I can play them back later. It also helps when I need to type the minutes up.

I think this is something that we all agree on, and sadly Lily, you are not alone :crying:

vdub
02-27-2016, 06:33 PM
My long term memory is still pretty decent, but the short term is bad and getting worse. Concentration is poor and life in general seems foggy. I think it is a side-effect of the drugs rather than a consequence of wegs.

Nikki, what you are describing is anomia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anomic_aphasia