PDA

View Full Version : Cat Question

katwoman
12-30-2009, 04:31 PM
Being new to the whole cat world parenting :):), I have a question for Doug and other cat lovers/owners:

I noticed last week Mr Darcy (10 months old) has a lump about the size of my thumb nail on his back, it isn't bothering him nor is it a solid lump (I can push the skin under it) - being a devon rex any lumps and bumps are easy to spot so now I am worried and debating whether to take him to the vet (this week it does seem to be a little flatter)...help??

jola57
12-30-2009, 04:35 PM
If it doesn't get smaller in the next few days I would go for a visit to the vet. My cat was an outdorsy type and used to have lumps which went away after a few days, but my dog who was 15 years old got a lump which turned into an open sore. so just watch if it gets smaller.

Doug
12-31-2009, 08:12 AM
I agree with Jolanta. If Mr. Darcy is an outdoor cat (you don't say), he also could have had an encounter with another cat. The lump could be an infected bite. I'd think that kind of lump would show redness in the skin around it, however, so you might take a look at his skin, as best you can, for signs of redness.

Regardless, seeing a vet about it is a small price to pay for an answer. I always see vet trips as an opportunity to ask dozens of questions I have about cats so I get information from an informed source or validation of information I picked up online. Who said being a weggie didn't train you for something good? I treat vets like I do my own doctors. You pay for the service, so it makes them fair game for the tons of questions that come up.

Sangye
12-31-2009, 08:17 AM
Giggling about your suggestion to try and look at his skin... That's all you can see on a Devon Rex! :D

Doug
12-31-2009, 08:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5pagjWq6AA

Ooops! I've seen the cats before, once, but I didn't recall the name! So I went to YouTube because there usually is something of interest on most subjects. The cat's name is Mr. Darcey...! Do you suppose?

Doug
12-31-2009, 08:40 AM
http://angelahelana.blogspot.com/ (http://angelahelana.blogspot.com/)

Here's more Devon rex cat-terrific bloggery! The Mr. Darcey in the video and this blog is from the UK, however, unless someone moved to Australia in the past few years.

katwoman
12-31-2009, 09:11 AM
You guys are too funny...my Mr Darcy is the true Mr Darcy (pride and prejudice version) why open the bottle yourself when you have a human servant to do that for you!

Sangye is correct all you see is skin..lol so to your answer your queries - he is an indoor cat only (doesn't mix with the riff raff of the neighbourhood) and the skin over the lump does not appear inflamed and is the same as the rest of his skin.

Doug
12-31-2009, 09:22 AM
I concur! The UK Mr. Darcey is a tool of an abusive human: Everyone knows we live to serve our cats! (My Louie just nodded his head. He checks all my posts about cats for cattitude accuracy.

The best part of the video insertion tool is that it now puts the video in place, not a link to it. When I feel motivated, I think I'll set up a thread that's nothing but videos and other links that are handy for weggies. Andrew has one to a brochure that is one UK hospital's weggie handbook.

p.s. Everyone should check out Jolanta's album to see the pretty "pussycat" she's holding in the photo she labels "after WG". It's kind of like that catr breed called the Bengal cat!.

jola57
12-31-2009, 05:17 PM
Doug, I am not particularily happy about that photo. the poor "cat" was drugged so much that his head was lolling about like a rag doll's. the caption on the little stand was that all proceeds went to a wild game preserve and it was sanctioned by the cruise co. which is the only reason that I had the pictures taken. It was a well kept animal, I will give them credit for that. The little tiger was 16 weeks old.

Doug
01-01-2010, 06:53 AM
Drugged for the photo session: I'm better that way myself. Ha!

jola57
01-01-2010, 05:20 PM
I guess we are all druggies lol

Doug
01-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Only if we like the side effects!

katwoman
01-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Happy to report Mr Darcy's lump has dissolved and I can't even find any evidence of where it was ... phew!

Sangye
01-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Yay! I'm sure Mr Darcy is relieved to be lumpless.

katwoman
01-12-2010, 12:17 PM
I think he is more relieved that mum has stopped poking around his back like a crazy lady

moyan
01-13-2010, 12:40 AM
Hi, I think I will have to take the little cat (Saboteuse) to the vet to make sure SPCA sold me a cat, not a flying squirrell- :)

jola57
01-14-2010, 01:14 PM
Sympatico.ca Video - Talking Cat Drinks Milk From A Spoon (http://en.video.sympatico.ca/index.php/en/video/Entertainment/2/more-entertainment/35814922001/stupid-videos/34593261001/talking-cat-drinks-milk-from-a-spoon/57966458001)
I'm repeating myself from another post, but it did give me the giggles.

Doug
01-15-2010, 06:50 AM
moyen ~ I don't know. Sometimes I think a flying squirrel would be fun, too!

Sangye
01-15-2010, 07:21 AM
Hilarious video! Sounds like the cat was saying "Mine mine mine mine!"

jola57
01-15-2010, 03:14 PM
Remember the Purina Miow Mix jingle, this is the real stuff. I giggled till I cried.

Doug
01-16-2010, 03:16 AM
It's much funnier without 20 pounds of cat sitting on your lap! I hear the "mine-mine-mine" now, too. I think this will have to be my favorite pet video of the decade!