PDA

View Full Version : Azathioprine? Anyone suffered long tem side effects?

Birdie
01-14-2016, 03:07 AM
I've been on 150 mg azathioprine for almost two years. Have heard mention of other people's issues causing a switch to other treatments. Would like to know what ill effects have actually been encountered.

Thanks,
Gary/Birdie/Broken Record... whatever...

Arleta
01-14-2016, 03:49 AM
I've been on 150 mg azathioprine for almost two years. Have heard mention of other people's issues causing a switch to other treatments. Would like to know what ill effects have actually been encountered.

Thanks,
Gary/Birdie/Broken Record... whatever...
I have been on the same dosage for 5+ years. I don't know that I have ill effects..... I feel like it "almost" keeps me in remission. I still have joint pain (for which I take cymbalta), some sinus problems (for which I take Flonase), and trachea/voice issues whenever I do much to get tired. I'll be interested to hear what other responses there are to this question. I've thought about increasing the dosage, but don't want my white cell count to get too low.
---Arleta

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Birdie
01-14-2016, 04:05 AM
I have been on the same dosage for 5+ years.

Hi Arleta. Five years and no major problems sounds good to me. What is the dosage? And what makes you think increasing it would be better? I was more concerned with decreasing to reduce the risk. A bit worried that it would become sub theraputic and allow a flare. Which brings me to the reason for starting this thread, learning as much as I can...

Arleta
01-14-2016, 04:17 AM
Hi Arleta. Five years and no major problems sounds good to me. What is the dosage? And what makes you think increasing it would be better? I was more concerned with decreasing to reduce the risk. A bit worried that it would become sub theraputic and allow a flare. Which brings me to the reason for starting this thread, learning as much as I can...
Sorry..I meant the same dosage as you---150 mg. I have tried decreasing it to 100 mg at least twice, but the symptoms begin to get worse...the same ones I described plus nasal bleeding, mouth sores, heel pain, arthritis pain, etc....(I hadn't mentioned them all). Then I just have to go back to 150. This is with my rheumatologist's ok.
Arleta

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Birdie
01-14-2016, 04:23 AM
Then I just have to go back to 150.

THANK YOU! That's soooo good to know.

You decreased, had issues, returned to prior dose and it corrected the issues.

Much better than having to change treatment to get back under control.

debra
01-14-2016, 02:24 PM
Birdie, nothing to Realy say here, except I needed to post something as to follow you're thread. It's required to know you're where abouts, as part of my internet stalking... Ok, then. Done.... Deb!

debra
01-14-2016, 02:30 PM
Birdie, I do hope in all sincerity, that this treatment keeps working for you... But ya, the post above is the truth... Deb...

drz
01-15-2016, 03:57 PM
I have been on the same dosage for 5+ years. I don't know that I have ill effects..... I feel like it "almost" keeps me in remission. I still have joint pain (for which I take cymbalta), some sinus problems (for which I take Flonase), and trachea/voice issues whenever I do much to get tired. I'll be interested to hear what other responses there are to this question. I've thought about increasing the dosage, but don't want my white cell count to get too low.
---Arleta Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

I am starting five years this month too. So far some research seems to suggest that AZA has the best results in preventing flares once the RTX and or CTX have knocked it down to manageable level. I take 175 and was tried on 200 and then liver enzymes got to high, 150 and inflammation markers too high, so 175 seems to sweet spot for me. It is also weight dependent so heavier people seem to need more. Not everyone can take AZA safely but then not everyone can take MTX either and Cellcept doesn't work for everyone. There are also other drugs that can be used in special cases but the top choices seem to be the three listed in the above order for most Weggies.

Christina32
01-16-2016, 05:01 PM
Hey Birdie, I was taking Azathioprine for a couple years so I can't speak much on long term effects but I did experience a major sensitivity to sunlight as well as more skin issues (sun?) while taking it. And although it seems to work for many it didn't maintain remission for me....