PDA

View Full Version : Pneumococcus vaccin

gmyi
12-28-2015, 11:03 PM
hi
I was asked to take Pneumococcus vaccine by my family doc and my neprologist advised me not to take it, has someone of you take that vaccine and what is the risk taking or not taking it.
in the past when i had the gpa active i suffered from a mass bleeding in my lungs so i am very preconscious with any concern to my lungs

Birdie
12-29-2015, 03:35 AM
hi
I was asked to take Pneumococcus vaccine by my family doc and my neprologist advised me not to take it, has someone of you take that vaccine and what is the risk taking or not taking it.
in the past when i had the gpa active i suffered from a mass bleeding in my lungs so i am very preconscious with any concern to my lungs

I haven't taken the vaccine but I've been hospitalized three times with the virus. It's not good.

JeanMarie
12-29-2015, 03:50 AM
I've had it without any problems. I wasn't aware we shouldn't have it--and truthfully I didn't check much.

Pete
12-29-2015, 04:55 AM
I took the prevnar-13 vaccine last summer. No ill effects. It's a dead virus vaccine. Wonder why your nephrologist recommended against it?

debra
12-29-2015, 05:59 AM
Talked about this with a friend just yesterday as well. Weird.. only speaking for myself, I will never take any vaccine, ever. Wg or healthy. I know the immune system being surpressed and all that, but for myself, no, no way. If you ask three different doctors, you'll maybe get three different answers. Life is just one big guessing, chancing party, but for me and my house, no. I do live alone, so a little easier to decide. Deb.

Alias
12-29-2015, 12:28 PM
I was advised to get the vaccine by my rheumatologist, and did so with no ill effects. Possibly you should ask your nephrologist why he is advising against it. Maybe it is a matter of timing with other treatment you are getting, or something?

drz
12-29-2015, 04:22 PM
I have had both pneumonia vaccinations and flu to this year. I have fluctuations in the Weg residual symptoms but don't know if any increases in symptoms were related to the vaccines. All my doctor recommend I take them including the pulmonologist at Mayo who is a Weg expert. I have serious damage to lungs and kidneys from Wegs and am still taking AZA and pred for maintenance which suppresses my immune system.

vdub
01-01-2016, 11:39 AM
Like Pete, I got prevnar-13 last summer. No problems.... No worries....

Don't anyone get started on the pros/cons of vaccines, please! Just keep your comments to yes/no.

Geoff
01-04-2016, 05:35 AM
For me its a Yes! I have had the Flu jab every year since DX and this year I have had it cleared to take the pneumonia shot as well, in fact this tuesday.

gilders
01-04-2016, 06:34 AM
Yes from me too. Also wondering why nephrologist suggested not.