PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to join military

Jwbreeze
11-28-2015, 04:05 PM
Hey guys just wanted to see if any other people with the weg have been able to join the military. I've been in remission for a few years now, am physically fit and wanting to join. Wanted to get feed back before I went to a recruiter.

Pete
11-29-2015, 02:19 AM
You'll probably be able to learn from the recruiter which physical conditions will disqualify you from military service. I don't know if any wegs meds are disqualifying. Good luck!!

Birdie
11-29-2015, 04:02 AM
Hey guys just wanted to see if any other people with the weg have been able to join the military. I've been in remission for a few years now, am physically fit and wanting to join. Wanted to get feed back before I went to a recruiter.

GO NAVY!

Not sure if they'll take you with Wegener's but asking is the only way to find out. Don't bring it up until you have to, get the recruiter interested in you first. Things like education, skills, criminal record, common cents, and high ASVAB score will all make a GIANT difference in how hard the recruiter will work to get you in. If you don't have a high school diploma then don't bother them until you get a GED. And get a hair cut before going to the recruitment office, off the collar, off the ears and out of the eyes. It's often about perception. So... show up neat & clean with confidence and respect.

Jwbreeze
11-29-2015, 05:37 AM
Thanks guys, I guess I'll go in and ask, I'll let the forum know what happens in case there are any other curious wegs out there.

Bing505z
11-30-2015, 08:36 AM
I went to basic training (ARMY) with a guy who was let in with a terminal illness, but he did not have any physical restrictions. As long as your lungs are good, you don't have restrictions, and you can pass a physical, I do not see a problem. Just be honest with your recruiter.

vdub
12-06-2015, 05:28 PM
I would be very surprised if they let you in even if you are in remission. From the military's point of view, they need people who are deployable worldwide and need minimal if any medical attention while deployed. The article below gives you and idea of what excludes someone from military service.....
71% of U.S. Youth Don't Qualify for Military Service, Pentagon Says (http://time.com/2938158/youth-fail-to-qualify-military-service/)

crowneagle
12-20-2015, 08:14 PM

I'm a veteran and I wouldn't count on it. i commend you for the thought however. I had to give up my commercial drivers license when I got this disease. They don't care if I ever go into remission. It's my history that counted.