PDA

View Full Version : Recipes

drz
11-02-2015, 04:09 PM
The idea is to share recipes here that are intended to be healthier to eat and hopefully taste good too.

BookNut
11-03-2015, 10:53 AM
The idea is to share recipes here that are intended to be healthier to eat and hopefully taste good too.

So sorry Dr. Z. I did not see your thread before starting one. I have reposted my recipe below. Is there any way to close or delete a thread?

I have had some amazing improvements to my respiratory issues by following Dr. Mark Hyman's Blood Sugar Solution diet. Because of the diet, my doctor and I have discovered that my allergy to grasses (grains are grasses) apparently has gotten steadily worse. So...I am now grain free.

Dairy is another common irritant for some, along with all the fake ingredients in packaged foods. I discovered today that "natueral vanilla flavor" is made from wood pulp!!

Anything I post will be grain free. The first challenge I faced was how to make "breading" without any grains. This is one solution. It tastes great on fish or chicken. Even though there are only two of us in the house, I generally make enough of every dinner recipe to feed four. That way I have leftovers for breakfast instead of having to eat eggs all the time.

Baked Cod with Olive and Caper Pesto

Serves: 4

1 cup pitted Kalamata olives
1/4 cup capers, drained
1 tablespoon lemon zest, plus juice of 1 lemon
1 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup raw walnuts
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 fillets of cod (4 to 6 ounces each; or fish of your choice)

Preheat the oven to 350°F.
In a food processor, combine the olives, capers, lemon zest and juice, parsley, garlic, and walnuts and process for 20 seconds.
Drizzle in the olive oil while the motor is running; pulse to combine.
Spread about 1 tablespoon of the olive and caper pesto onto each fish fillet.
Place the fish in a greased ovenproof dish.
Bake for 20 minutes

Nutritional analysis per serving (one 4‑ounce cod fillet with 1 tablespoon pesto): calories 390, fat 28 g, saturated fat 3 g, cholesterol 62 mg, fiber 3 g, protein 31 g, carbohydrate 6 g, sodium 647 mg

Debbie C
11-03-2015, 11:07 AM
Sounds great but probably not good for people with nut allergies ?

BookNut
11-03-2015, 11:39 AM
Sounds great but probably not good for people with nut allergies ?

Absolutely. Everyone has different issues. The nuts could be left out and breadcrumbs subbed, as long as there is no universal grain allergy. There are also gluten free breadcrumbs. No help for me, because they are made from different grains. I wonder how many are allergic to tree nuts? Lots of folks have peanut allergies..but peanuts are not actually nuts. They are legumes.

BookNut
11-04-2015, 05:16 AM
OK - Here are today's grain-free recipes:

MOZZARELLA STUFFED MEATBALLS
(see below this recipe for another grainless meatball recipe that also does not have any dairy)
via Feed the Clan
2 lbs grass-fed ground beef
1/2 lb mozzarella cheese, cut into cubes
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp sea salt
2 pastured eggs
2 tbsp avocado oil
32 oz jar marinara (OR homemade*)

Mix the meat with the spices, then add the eggs. Form into balls and press a spot in the middle like so:

Next, place the cube of cheese in the middle and press the meat closed all around it. Once you’ve made all the meatballs, heat up the oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Brown the meatballs on all sides, about 15 minutes.

* Homemade marinara sauce:
2 cans of diced tomatoes
1 can of tomato sauce (15 oz or close to it)
2 teaspoons of minced garlic
1/4 cup of onion, diced small
2 tablespoons of olive oil, for sautéing + 2 tablespoons for sauce
1 tablespoon of fresh basil
1 teaspoon of dried oregano
1/2 -1 teaspoon of kosher salt ( start with less and add more as needed)

Family Chow 11/15/13 - Also Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs Recipe | FEED THE CLAN (http://www.feedtheclan.com/family-chow-111513-also-mozzarella-stuffed-meatballs-recipe/)

PALEO PESTO MEATBALLS
Makes 14 meatballs

Ingredients
1 pound ground beef and pork combo
1/4 cup blanched almond flour (next time I use this recipe, I plan to chop up some walnuts or pecans finely, add to the almond flour and toast briefly in a skillet on top of the stove)
1 egg
1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 TBS Jarred Pesto
Instructions
In a large mixing bowl, combine ground meat with almond flour, egg, salt and pesto. Mix by hand until just incorporated. Don't overwork the meat or it will become tough.
Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 18-20 minutes.

EASY EGGPLANT PARMESAN
Servings: 4

Ingredients
1 eggplant, peeled and sliced lengthwise thinly
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups seasoned dry bread crumbs (SUB ALMOND FLOUR)
1/4 cup olive oil
3 cups spaghetti sauce
1/2 lb shredded mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese

Directions
Dip each eggplant slice in beaten egg, and dredge with almond flour
Place slices on a parchment paper lined cookie tray
Bake at 400 degrees for 6 minutes per side
Lower temperature to 350°F
Pour a little sauce in bottom of a baking pan, sprayed lightly with olive oil spray
Arrange half the eggplant slices in the bottom of the baking dish
Spread half the remaining sauce over top. Sprinkle with half the mozzarella and half the Parmesan. Repeat layers.
Bake 40 minutes or until mixture is bubbly.

annekat
11-04-2015, 02:14 PM
Jacquie, those sound so good. Next time I have a potluck to go to, I'm looking here!

NicShaf
11-05-2015, 09:26 AM
I have been obsessed with this website recently. She has recipes for your crock pot that are easy and healthy. They are easy on the budget, easy to make, and my husband and I have loved all of the recipes we've tried so far.
Note: They are more geared towards families. I cut the recipes in half for two people and they are the perfect size.

New Leaf Wellness (http://www.newleafwellness.biz)

annekat
11-05-2015, 09:44 AM
I bookmarked that, Nicole... sounds great!

There's a Facebook group called Good Cheap Food, https://www.facebook.com/groups/GoodCheapFood/ , which mostly has members in the state of Washington, but I don't think it is exclusive to this area, and it calls itself a public group. Some good sounding stuff, nice pictures, mostly healthy food, though not all, but these are generally people in my community who are budget and health conscious. I imagine they'd be thrilled to have members from other regions. If anyone has trouble getting approved, let me know, and I'll add you.

BookNut
11-05-2015, 11:47 AM
Planning to try this grainless side dish soon.

CAULIFLOWER FRIED RICE

http://tiphero.com/cauliflower-fried-rice-1/

Ingredients:

1 small head of cauliflower (this will produce 2½ cups riced cauliflower)
2 Tbs sesame oil
1 small white onion, chopped (about 1 cup chopped onions)
1 cup frozen peas and carrots
2-3 Tablespoons soy sauce (more or less to taste)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 Tbsp chopped green onions

Instructions:

1. Cut the cauliflower into florets, discarding any large stem pieces. Place the florets into the bowl of a food processor (if you have a smaller food processor, do this in two batches so the cauliflower grinds evenly). Pulse until the cauliflower is chopped into small pieces that are about the same size as a grain of rice. Measure 2 ½ cups of the riced cauliflower into a small bowl and reserve any remaining cauliflower for another recipe.

2. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. When the pan is very hot, pour in the sesame oil. Add the white onion and the peas and carrots and fry for five minutes or until the onion has softened.

3. Push the mixture to one side of the frying pan. Pour the scrambled eggs onto the bare side of the pan and stirring constantly to prevent sticking, cook the eggs until no longer runny, about 1-2 minutes.

4. Once the eggs are set, mix with the onion and peas and carrots, then add 2 Tbsp soy sauce and the riced cauliflower to the pan. Cook until the cauliflower is tender, about 5 minutes.

5. Taste and add another Tbsp of soy sauce to taste (I just used the 2 Tbsp and it was salty enough, but it can depend on if you’re using reduced-sodium or regular soy sauce). Before serving, garnish with the chopped green onions.

Serves 2 as a main dish and 4 as a side dish.

This would also be great if you add 2 chopped garlic cloves and a tsp of minced ginger in with the onion

NicShaf
11-06-2015, 06:25 AM
I bookmarked that, Nicole... sounds great!

There's a Facebook group called Good Cheap Food, https://www.facebook.com/groups/GoodCheapFood/ , which mostly has members in the state of Washington, but I don't think it is exclusive to this area, and it calls itself a public group. Some good sounding stuff, nice pictures, mostly healthy food, though not all, but these are generally people in my community who are budget and health conscious. I imagine they'd be thrilled to have members from other regions. If anyone has trouble getting approved, let me know, and I'll add you.

That sounds awesome, I'm going to check it out. Thanks for sharing!

Pete
11-06-2015, 07:20 AM
Here's one of my favorites from Rachel Ray's 30-minute meals...

Baby Shrimp Cappelini (serves 2)

Ingredients

1/2 lb whole wheat thin spaghetti or Jovial (brand) gluten free brown rice cappellini pasta
1/4 - 1/2 pound raw shrimp peeled and deveined. I use the 36-40 per pound size
4 garlic cloves finely chopped
Zest of one lemon
6 green onions coarsely chopped. Cook the white ends and garnish with the green ends.
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup white wine (I like Chardonnay)
2 tbsp Old Bay seafood seasoning
1 pint grape tomatoes
salt, pepper, and Tobasco sauce to taste

Preparation

Get your spaghetti water going (I add a big pinch of salt and a splash of olive oil). Cook the spaghetti to al dente (about 7 -9 minutes not counting the time for the water to come to a boil).
Season the shrimp with the Old Bay and set aside
In a sautee pan over medium high heat, add the olive oil and butter.
When butter is melted, add garlic, pepper, and green onions and sautee until fragrant - a couple of minutes
Add the lemon zest and stir for a couple of minutes.
Add the tomatoes and stir for a couple of minutes until they soften.
Add the wine and let the contents of the pan come to a simmer for a couple of minutes.
Add the seasoned shrimp and cook for two minutes.
Drain the spaghetti and add to the sautee pan.
Add Tobasco sauce to taste (I use just a couple drops)
Fold the spaghetti in so it gets covered with the sauce and cook until shrimp are done (they turn pink)

Plate and garnish with the green ends of the green onions.

Serve and enjoy!

BookNut
11-15-2015, 05:08 AM
Just posted this recipe for chowder on Facebook. Since I can't eat grains at all - I end up eating left over dinner for breakfast. I know eating chowder for breakfast seems really weird - but it works for me. I weigh myself every morning. On this grain free diet, I have now lost 20 pounds. That is two pounds less than back when I was walking 4-5 miles 4 times a week. Yay!! Hoping to get to the gym next week. Had a slight downturn in breathing but am now much improved and it only took a quick 20 mg taper - not the 60 mg that was needed before I started the diet. Anyway - here is the recipe.

This is the VERY BEST chowder I have EVER eaten. I am including all the modifications I used to make it grain-free and low carb.

New England Fish/Clam Chowder

Yield: Makes about 14 cups; serves 8 as a main course
EPICURIOUS | AUGUST 2000
BY JASPER WHITE 50 CHOWDERS: ONE-POT MEALS — CLAM, CORN & BEYOND

MODIFICATIONS IN PARENTHESES ARE MY IDEAS FOR MAKING THIS DISH LOWER IN CARBS. In my opinion the modifications improved on the original.

Ingredients

4 ounces meaty salt pork, rind removed and cut into 1/3-inch dice (i used pancetta)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 medium onions (14 ounces), cut into 3/4-inch dice
6 to 8 sprigs fresh summer savory or thyme, leaves removed and chopped 1 tablespoon (i used about a tsp of dry summer savory and a bit more of the fresh thyme)
2 dried bay leaves
2 pounds Yukon Gold, Maine, PEI, or other all-purpose potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/3-inch thick (I substituted finely diced celery and carrots)
5 cups Strong Fish Stock,Traditional Fish Stock,Chicken Stock , or water as a last resort. ( I used a quart of fish stock and two bottles of Cento clam juice)
Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 pounds skinless haddock or cod fillets, preferably over 1 inch thick, pinbones removed ( i also added a large can of clams)
1 1/2 cups heavy cream (or up to 2 cups if desired)
3 TBS of potato flour whisked into 1 1/2 cups hot water (I use potato flour to avoid grains and to make up for not using potatoes in the soup)

For garnish
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
2 tablespoons minced fresh chives

Preparation

1. Heat a 4- to 6-quart heavy pot over low heat and add the diced salt pork/ pancetta. Once it has rendered a few tablespoons of fat, increase the heat to medium and cook until the pork is a crisp golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the cracklings to a small ovenproof dish, leaving the fat in the pot, and reserve until later.

2. Add the butter, onions, savory or thyme, and bay leaves to the pot and sauté, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, for about 8 minutes, until the onions and softened but not browned.

3. Add the potatoes/vegetable and stock. If the stock doesn’t go over the potatoes/ vegetables, add just enough water to cover them. Turn up the heat and bring to a boil, cover, and cook the potatoes vigorously for about 10 minutes, until they are soft on the outside but still firm in the center. If the stock hasn’4hickened lightly, smash a few of the potato slices against the side of the pot and cook for a minute or two longer to release their starch. NOTE: since I did not use potatoes, I mixed 3 TBS potato flor in 1 1/2 cups hot water, then poured it into the boiling soup. Reduce the heat to low and season assertively with salt and pepper (you want to almost overseason the chowder at this point to avoid having to stir it much once the fish is added). Add the fish fillets and cook over low heat for 5 minutes, then remove the pot from the heat and allow the chowder to sit for 10 minutes (the fish will finish cooking during this time).

4. Gently stir in the cream and taste for salt and pepper. If you are not serving the chowder within the hour, let it cool a bit, then refrigerate; cover the chowder after it has chilled completely. Otherwise, let it sit for up to an hour at room temperature, allowing the flavors to meld.

5. When ready to serve, reheat the chowder over low heat; don't let it boil. Warm the cracklings in a low oven (200 °F) for a few minutes.

6. Use a slotted spoon to mound the chunks of fish, the onions, and vegetables in the center of large soup plates or shallow bowls, and ladle the creamy broth around. Scatter the cracklings over the individual servings and finish each with a sprinkling of chopped parsley and minced chives.

For equipment, you will need a 4- to 6-quart heavy pot with a lid, a slotted spoon, a wooden spoon, and a ladle.

NOTE: This is a large amount of soup....but it freezes well. When you unfreeze it, the cream will look curdled....but it will blend in perfectly when reheated.

Rhenoplos
09-07-2016, 01:48 PM
Share a recipe found on the Internet:

Avocado chips

[*=center]Ingredients
[*=center]Nutrition

1 egg, lightly beaten
2 cups Japanese breadcrumbs
2 avocados, cut into wedges
Lime wedges, to serve

Dipping sauce

3/4 cup Greek yoghurt
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/2 garlic clove, crushed
1 tablespoon finely chopped coriander

Select all ingredients

[*=center]Method

Step 1Preheat oven to 240C or 220C fan-forced. Line a baking tray with baking paper.

Step 2Place egg in a shallow plate. Place breadcrumbs in a second shallow plate. Dip avocado in egg to coat, then dip wedges in breadcrumbs to coat. Place on prepared tray. Spray with cooking oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden and crisp.

Step 3Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for dipping sauce. Season.

Step 4Serve chips immediately with dipping sauce and lime wedges.

Gab122
09-12-2016, 08:02 AM
Mmmmm sounds great! What time are you serving?! [emoji12]