PDA

View Full Version : Depression ??

Debbie C
10-29-2015, 12:54 AM
I have been depressed for some time now but thought I could just work through things without taking anything.........well that's not working,I'm just getting worse. And I keep telling myself that soooooooooo many people are worse off than me so just get a grip.Needless to say ,I am losing my grip. I am sure I have that S.A.D.D ( seasonal disorder ) I hate this time of year,time changes next week ( which will make it worse ) ,theres just a lot of S*** going on in my life right now.
So I decided to give in and go to someone about it but my question is.. is it better to see a psychiatrist or a psychologist for depression ?

Yvonnea
10-29-2015, 01:38 AM
Sorry Debra that you are going through such a hard time. You are right to get help if you feel this low. I would suggest talking it through with your Doctor first and seeing who he/she recommends. Psychiatrist if you need to go down the medication route or Psychologist for counselling. About SAD, I got this pretty bad when I first moved to Sweden and experienced the long dark winters...gets dark here at 3pm!!! But found taking high doses of VItamin D really helped. Each winter has gotten easier since taking it. But of course you need to talk to your Doc first and decided whats best for you.

Good luck with it all.
Yvonne

renidrag
10-29-2015, 02:15 AM
Debra, I like what Yvonne said. Sorry you are in a funk, from time to time I find myself down but for some reason I am able to pick myself up. You take care.
Dale

MikeG-2012
10-29-2015, 02:28 AM
I would agree to go see your regular doctor, or give them a call, or see if you can send them a note via electronic means. My doc prescribed a very low dose antidepressant/sleep aid when I was on pred in heavy doses.

It is something that can be treated for sure! Take care!!!!!

Debbie C
10-29-2015, 02:28 AM
I did mention it a few times to my pcp but he just blows it off. I think I will see about seeing a pysch.......I just hate to be on another drug that controls me but I will just start crying for no reason so I NEED to do something. I told my mother yesterday that the best years of my life are gone and I would not care if I die tomorrow :(

MikeG-2012
10-29-2015, 02:34 AM
I did mention it a few times to my pcp but he just blows it off. I think I will see about seeing a pysch.......I just hate to be on another drug that controls me but I will just start crying for no reason so I NEED to do something. I told my mother yesterday that the best years of my life are gone and I would not care if I die tomorrow :(

Can you get away for a couple days, and just do something FOR YOU? Run away to a spa, massage, etc. I know that helps me to get away--even for an afternoon.

Find a comedy club, or something that can make you laugh. Laughter sure helps. Find a friend that makes you happy to be with and spend some time with him/her. Try anything to make you smile! Volunteer somewhere where you can help someone else? There is no better feeling that making someone else's day!!

Alias
10-29-2015, 04:56 AM
If your primary care doc is not taking you seriously you could self refer to a mental health professional. Depression is not something you just "get over", like a cold. Taking an anti-depressant is not the worst thing in the world; the trick is finding the right one. Some people take something (such as Wellbutrin) seasonally during the cold, dark months and find it very helpful. A "happy light" can also make a difference, as can regular exercise. I think a medical doctor, i.e. psychiatrist, would be able to offer the most full range of options, including medication if you decide you want to try it, and/or a referral to counseling if talk therapy is more appealing. I'm right there with you on the darkness and time change. The curtain is really coming down here in Alaska! Hang in there.

Birdie
10-29-2015, 05:17 AM
I have been depressed for some time now but thought I could just work through things without taking anything

Debra,

I keep silent on many topics here because I know nothing about them. This aint one of those topics. I have no first hand experience with depression but I spent years on suicide watch with my wife. Depression is NOT something you ignore or try to work around. That's what Sue did her entire life. She was in denial of what should only be viewed as a serious medical condition.

I'd be honored if you (and anyone else interested) would read this:

A Loving Tribute To Susan White (http://www.garyrin.com/sue/A_Loving_Tribute_To_Susan_White.html)

Get help with depression and think of depression exactly the same as you think of and get help with Wegener's. Don't go it alone, ever.

Gary

drz
10-29-2015, 06:02 AM
I have been depressed for some time now but thought I could just work through things without taking anything.........well that's not working,I'm just getting worse. And I keep telling myself that soooooooooo many people are worse off than me so just get a grip.Needless to say ,I am losing my grip. I am sure I have that S.A.D.D ( seasonal disorder ) I hate this time of year,time changes next week ( which will make it worse ) ,theres just a lot of S*** going on in my life right now.
So I decided to give in and go to someone about it but my question is.. is it better to see a psychiatrist or a psychologist for depression ?

See both. One can give you meds to help and the other can help you sort out the stress in your life and how to best manage it.

drz
10-29-2015, 06:05 AM

Sounds like you need some meds to get going again but the meds don't control you, they just help charge up your battery and spoon supply so you have some energy to do what you need to do. They also helped me sleep better when I needed them.

annekat
10-29-2015, 06:12 AM
Gary, I hope you don't mind that I bookmarked that beautiful, loving tribute to Sue under my "health" label. I think it is worth reading over and over again even by someone who didn't know her.

Deb, I have dealt with depression throughout my life but I guess it was never severe enough for anyone to take it seriously. I did get counseling a few times, but it was mainly after a specific event, like the breakup of a relationship, etc. (Not even relationships that were worth getting all that broken up over.) Anyway, I'm sorry you are going through this and good advice has already been given. As for meds, I was taking a low to moderate dose of Zoloft for awhile, prescribed by my PA, not even an MD. I feel it helped me stay on an even keel and would consider taking it again. When I stopped, it was because the script ran out and I needed another appointment with the PA to get it renewed, which I have continued to procrastinate doing. I didn't find there to be withdrawal symptoms when I stopped, so I don't think of it as a heavy sedating or habit forming type med. There is a generic name for the drug which is escaping me at the moment, and it wasn't at all expensive. So you might give that some consideration. Best wishes to you for feeling better.... I can relate.

Bloom
10-29-2015, 06:14 AM
Hi Debra,

I agree with everyone 's comments. I also think sometimes medics can be dismissive, because I think they feel it's almost normal to feel that way given what's happening in your life. Antidepressants can make things bearable. Psychologists/therapists can also help you with strategies to deal with life's tough stuff.

I regularly see a therapist and it has really helped me. I have a great dog, who gets me out of the house walking, even when I don't feel like it. When I'm feeling rough he knows, especially after cyclo when I'm walking really slow, he waits for me to catch up. When I'm throwing up he nuzzles my back! My family are great too!

Sometimes you feel you don't want to burden the people you love, but they don't feel that . So keep talking Debra, don't feel reluctant to tell people how you feel.

Take care.
Bloom

Birdie
10-29-2015, 06:48 AM
Gary, I hope you don't mind that I bookmarked that beautiful, loving tribute to Sue under my "health" label. I think it is worth reading over and over again even by someone who didn't know her.

Thanks Anne. It was written because most of her friends didn't know any of the facts of her life which it details. Depression ruled her life, caused her to hide from a childhood diagnosis.

Thanks Debra for sharing your issue, and bringing it to the forefront here. It's best not to hide a medical issue due to social pressure and misunderstanding.

BTW, if you get pneumonia... it's not good to hide that either.

NikkiNicole
10-29-2015, 06:59 AM
I know how you are feeling. My feelings of depression and worthlessness have gotten out of control and my anxiety runs high. We get connected to therapists at work so I got one ... and she's asked me to get a referral to a psychiatrist for medications. Hopefully, Kaiser will be able to get me in touch with someone who can just prescribe me meds. I don't want to have to talk to both the psychologist and the psychiatrist.
But, something needs to give. I cannot feel like this anymore. It's affecting everything that I do.
You can do this. There are so many different medications that there has to be something out there that actually helps. I had tried Zoloft before and it only made me feel flat. I had NO emotions and as a writer, that's not good. My psychologist says there are so many that sometimes it might take a few drugs to get the right one.
We are all behind you.

Jaha
10-29-2015, 11:04 AM
Deb, I am so sorry you are feeling that awful depression. I know exactly what that feels like and it is something that just immobilizes you and is hard to even have the energy to seek help. I am fortunate to have had a PCP that put me on Zoloft before I was even dx'd. I think you are very smart to know that you need to see someone that can help you. My thoughts about being depressed are that, yes I am and to be the person I want to be I take medication. I know that everyone wants to be that one person that can go thru things like water running off their back, but sometimes that is just not real. Deb, I wish you all the best and I really wish we could meet up sometime and have a laugh or two. Please take care of yourself. Hugs to you.

mishb
10-29-2015, 08:36 PM
Deb, speaking up about it is your first step. I'm sending big hugs to you :hug1:

My daughter is doing her Masters in Psychology and even she sees a doctor and a psychologist when things get too tough. Exams, boyfriends etc.
Everyone has given such great advice which I hope you can take on board.

All I can say is - pop on over to Australia, the weather is beautiful (or too hot) at this time of year :biggrin1:
I know that's really hard but actually the weather does play a big part as you have already acknowledged.
Vitamin D can also help.

Please continue to speak to us, because we of all people, are not here to pass judgement, only encouragement, and please see your doctor for some extra help.

Alysia
10-29-2015, 11:25 PM
Dear Debra. I am sorry for your suffering. Thank you for sharing. The best way to treat depression is a combination of psychotherapy and medications. Needs to find the right med and it takes about 3 weeks untill it starts to work. Psychotherapy can help you feel better right from the first meeting if the psycholigist can understand you deeply. You will feel like the heaviness that burdens you is a bit lighter, having someone to carry it with you. What also helps is to walk daily, be in the sun/ enough light, and also omega3. For me praying helps a lot.
Whatever you need to ask, I am here for you. You can send me pm here or on fb anytime.
Sending my prayers and love ♡♡♡

Debbie C
10-30-2015, 12:03 AM
I just want to Thank everyone for their response. I reread all the posts and again I am sitting here crying but this time it is because I have people that I have never met before take the time to try to help. Which is what this forum does ! Love and hugs to all of you (but Mish, I don't think I want you "bug" hugs !!!)

I found a dr yesterday who is a therapist and also a pysch. She is supposed to call today to see if see will see me as a patient but if so I can't get in till Dec. which I can hold out for. I have to take my mom back to our pcp on Fri. ( we were just in there last week and her bp was almost 300/137 so they took her by ambulance to the hosp. but they seem to have it under control for now. She just lost her 3 sisters this year to stoke or heart attack).sorry,off topic..but I will try to talk to him again.
Its bad enough that this damn disease screws up our bodies but it also has to screw with our heads,but unfortunately that is just one of many issues.
I will get this under control and thanks again everyone for being so caring, Love ya all

Jaha
10-30-2015, 02:45 AM
Deb,
I am so glad that you got an appt. I know you will get this situation under control. I'm sorry that you have had so many losses this year. That has t be hard on you and your Mother. I hope that your Mother gets her BP under control and stabilized. I know what it is like to have to take care of those things also, my Mother lives beside of me also. It is added stress for you and it is hard on you. I know that you would not have it and other way and that is very commendable. I just want you to know that if you need to talk, I will be here. Please pm me if something is on your mind. I still would like to meet up sometime and we will.

drz
10-30-2015, 12:25 PM
Any medical doctor or nurse practitioner can prescribe an antidepressant for you. It might not be the right one or right dosage as they usually tend to under prescribe such meds. But some times they might give you too large of a dosage but I would take a chance instead of waiting for several weeks and try to get started on some thing sooner. A walk in clinic or the urgent care part of any mental health clinic should be able to get you started on some thing until you can set a mental health expert. Side effect risks are pretty minimal with the newer antidepressants. One of you current doctors might also order them with just a phone call to his or her office.

mishb
10-30-2015, 09:06 PM
Love and hugs to all of you (but Mish, I don't think I want you "bug" hugs !!!)

Sorry, I did mean big, and I have now edited it.

BIG BIG BIG hugs to you :hug1::love::hug2:

Debbie C
10-31-2015, 01:48 AM
I knew what you meant,Michelle....Big hugs back at you

marta
10-31-2015, 04:00 AM
Debra,

Grab the book Healing and Recovery by Dr. David Hawkins. It's super cheap on Kindle, like $6 or $7. There is a section on depression and also the section on cancer is quite relevant to us. Just substitute the word Wegener's every time you see the word cancer. The most powerful one is the chapter on pain. The technique he gives is so easy and so powerful, it will blow your mind. I can now get rid of headaches, or any pain for that matter, within minutes, using absolutely no drugs. It's truly mindblowing, and I am certain that it can help if you give it a go. I went from having to use morphine for pain, to using nothing. The healing is all within our power, just gotta be open to the idea and it's so truly empowering, it's beyond anything I've ever experienced before.

I don't want to sound like a 'born again' but I do want to share this because I really believe our healing lies within these pages.

Best of luck, and contact me if you have any questions. I've been playing with the technique and my life is changing before my eyes... in the best way possible.

Peace <3

I'm editing this and adding this little passage because I've been given a heads up by a buddy that this might not be a good idea (promoting a book that involves going inside your head) - I just want to add this disclaimer.... we're all in different parts of the journey, and sometimes we're just not ready to go some places at certain parts of the journey. I probably wouldn't have digested the book the same earlier on, and I believe it came to me when I was meant to read it. I hope that it helps, but understand that it might not be the right time and place for others. I would be remiss though to not mention something that has helped me as much as this in fear that it might not help someone else at the expense of actually helping someone through this crazy ride we call Wegener's. Best pf luck! Sending this to you with nothing but love in my heart.

Debbie C
10-31-2015, 07:02 AM
Thanks Marta,I'll look into it...it certainly can't hurt.

marta
10-31-2015, 07:59 AM
Thanks Marta,I'll look into it...it certainly can't hurt.

My thoughts exactly, and if it helps, then bonus.
I hope it helps. Sending you healing jujus.

mishb
10-31-2015, 06:38 PM
I knew what you meant,Michelle....Big hugs back at you

Lol - You know me, I wouldn't mind BUG hugs :lol::lol:

Debbie C
10-31-2015, 10:34 PM
Lol - You know me, I wouldn't mind BUG hugs :lol::lol:

That's cuz your "sick" !!

MikeG-2012
11-05-2015, 05:27 AM
That's cuz your "sick" !!

No, no, no; you got that wrong--she just looks like she's (NOT) sick! (-8