PDA

View Full Version : Brent's Battle

andrew
10-10-2015, 09:01 AM
Hi peeps

I got this message a short time ago. My brain isn't functioning properly at the moment so I've been unable to locate a flyer about WG that was good. I think it's from Mayo Clinic maybe??? Anyhoo, if you awesome people could have a read of the below and post up any info that you think would be relevant and maybe like the FB page if you're so inclined. I've been in touch with Rhonda and she's given the ok to post this here. Maybe anyone in FL nearby would be able to pay the event a visit. The event I believe will be a silent auction of Brent's artwork.

Hello,

I am writing on behalf of a dear friend of mine this is currently battling Wegener’s. He’s not doing very well as of right now. I am the point of contact and coordinator for a fundraising event that is being held for Brent, sometime in November. He lives in Sarasota, FL. I am in Denver.

Beyond raising funds for his family and the compounding medical bills, Brent’s main goal is to raise awareness of the disease and would like to have some literature, pamphlets, etc to distribute at the event. Would you be able to provide us with any of these things? If not, would yo be able to refer me to someone else? Donations to the Vasculitis foundation as well as any Wegener’s specific foundations will also be made. Any contact information that you could provide would be very helpful.

I truly appreciate any assistance that you would be able to provide.

This is the Facebook page we just set up for the event/cause. Please feel free to “like” and share within the community.

https://www.facebook.com/BrentsBattle

Kind Regards,

Rhonda DePalma

Birdie
10-10-2015, 02:18 PM
I can't help with pamphlets but how about a web site? Free domain and web space is easy to set up. Pictures and details are needed for me to do it. Maybe a few of us could contribute, and get critical feedback from this group. Maybe a few days.

I know, a "Facebook" page.... already set up. Be damned if I can see it and it's not the same impact as pages where display of the information can be controlled, without endless advertising and whirlygigs distracting from the message, without endless stuff to click you away, without endless popups designed to change your focus to generate money for someone else. A web site, that's where all those whirlygigs on facebook are trying to get you to click to. Generating traffic is the main true purpose and use of facebook so that's why I suggest it. OK, rant over.

A web site is the method to get your message across without distraction. Facebook is the right place to generate traffic.

Pete
10-10-2015, 04:00 PM
Here's a handout about wegs. It's two pages -- one sheet of paper printed back-to-back. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-xA6db-wfSta0U4Q3hQN1ExZWc/view

drz
10-10-2015, 04:11 PM
Here's a handout about wegs. It's two pages -- one sheet of paper printed back-to-back. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-xA6db-wfSta0U4Q3hQN1ExZWc/view

This brochure from Vasculitis foundation credits Dr. Matteson from Mayo Clinic for the info. The VF might make more available for PR purposes.

Alysia
10-10-2015, 07:17 PM
I found the page on fb. I will invite friends to like it.

annekat
10-12-2015, 12:33 AM
I found the page on fb. I will invite friends to like it. I have seen some of his artwork on there and it is a little bit grim, but interesting and well executed.

annekat
10-12-2015, 12:44 AM
I can't help with pamphlets but how about a web site? Free domain and web space is easy to set up. Pictures and details are needed for me to do it. Maybe a few of us could contribute, and get critical feedback from this group. Maybe a few days.

I know, a "Facebook" page.... already set up. Be damned if I can see it and it's not the same impact as pages where display of the information can be controlled, without endless advertising and whirlygigs distracting from the message, without endless stuff to click you away, without endless popups designed to change your focus to generate money for someone else. A web site, that's where all those whirlygigs on facebook are trying to get you to click to. Generating traffic is the main true purpose and use of facebook so that's why I suggest it. OK, rant over.

A web site is the method to get your message across without distraction. Facebook is the right place to generate traffic. It would be cool if you could easily do this, Gary. But people would have to be able to see it, and since FB generates a lot of traffic, as you say, that would be ONE place where any link to it should go, on some of the vasculitis groups there, on Brent's page, or just to be shared in general among people's FB contacts at large. Also on Twitter. I'm sure there are OTHER avenues for it to be seen, as well! One would be for him to have a page on Etsy, or something similar, for selling his art, and the link posted there. Others would be on forums such as this, things through the VF, artwork forums, etc. There are lots of places for links to websites to be posted, as long as the right people see them! I don't know what is involved in getting one's site listed on Google, but I do know several artist friends whose sites come up there quickly with a search.

andrew
10-17-2015, 11:15 AM
Thanks all!

Here's an update from Rhonda. I'll get her to read this thread too.

I’d like to share an update with you and hopefully you can get this out into your community. The fundraising/awareness event for my friend Brent has been scheduled for November 21st in Sarasota, FL. Here is the Facebook link with more detailed information:

https://www.facebook.com/events/512301262306315/ (Event)

The actual page for the cause is: https://www.facebook.com/BrentsBattle?ref=tn_tnmn

andrew
11-13-2015, 02:41 PM
Just received this flyer this morning.