PDA

View Full Version : Liver problems

Tom
10-07-2015, 08:00 AM
Been dealing with Wegs for the last 5 years.
Three weeks ago I had an appointment with my Rheumatologist. Lab results from him showed my liver enzymes were elevated and the number was like 87??? He requested that I get a follow up lab in 2 weeks, which I did.
I got a call from his nurse on Monday, Oct 5 and she said that I need to schedule a visit with my primary Dr and or my internist. From the results I read on my electronic chart, that 87 number is up to 107 and the nurse said that my numbers were gradually increasing!
I am pred dependent and have been since the beginning to help my breathing. I have managed to get to 10mg daily but no lower and I don't want to go with more again, I did 60mg for more than a year and 40mg more that 2 years and 10mg for the last couple years.
To me that seems like the most probable culprit, but have researched my other meds that are processed through the liver.
Question, Has anyone else dealt with liver issues and had to have meds readjusted?
I am going to ask for a reduction or taper from the pred again and hope for a good out come, although, not likely!
I am going to ask to have the Omeprozol removed from my med regiment and will just have to do even better control of my diet to treat my GERD!
My blood sugars are out of control even with the increase of insulin and cutting out carbs, I am still getting high readings and have been reporting my numbers each week for the last month to my dr so she can adjust the insulin as needed! I wonder if this liver thing is affecting my sugars or vici versa?
I spoke with my wife last night again about choice that we might be able to make and she is not sure about cutting out meds especially the pred for the lungs! I told her that I was willing to let the chips fall where they may.
I also told her that the cancer I had in 06 when symptoms began to build after surgery that I think I should have not fought so hard and this the cancers revenge. I was told that I was not expected to beat it!
So has anyone ran into this liver issue and what was done about it?

Pete
10-07-2015, 08:42 AM
Hi Tom,

Sorry to learn about your liver problem. I know that methotrexate and Azathioprine are hard on the liver. I was told to curtail drinking alcohol while I was on it to minimize potential liver damage.

I really hope your docs can figure out what's going on and treat you effectively. Keep us posted.

drz
10-08-2015, 07:02 AM
I use AZA for maintenance and had to decrease my Pravastatin a couple years ago cause my enzymes got too high. Since then they have been OK and in normal range. Ask your pharmacist to review your meds to find out what else may be increasing the enzymes.

Alysia
10-08-2015, 10:35 PM
Are you on bactrim/ sulfa ?
It elavated my liver enzymes in a similar way to yours after more then a year on it and I had to stop it.
I doubt about the pred causing it.
I also had it when I had a virus.
They sent me to ultra sound of the liver to make sure its only the bactrim or later the virus.
Please update us.

Alias
10-09-2015, 11:42 AM
I think that the enzyme elevation by itself is not reason for alarm, just based on my own experience. I am on MTX and I experience fluctuations of liver enzymes consistent with use of that medication. At one point my dosage was reduced temporarily and I was put on leucovorin to counter the adverse effects of MTX on the liver. The change could be caused by any number of things and could easily be temporary and/or improved with adjustment of meds.