PDA

View Full Version : Probiotics and Antibiotics - Who Knew?

BookNut
09-16-2015, 02:59 PM
Probably every one but me knows this. My PCP just prescribed an antibiotic. Because I also take probiotics, she mentioned that I should not take them together. I should take them at least three hours apart. Evidently, a probiotic will cancel out the effects of the antibiotic.

Hmmmm....... I have been on a long-term antibiotic for at least 6 months. And you guessed it...I take the antibiotic and the probiotic at the same time with breakfast. Gah! 6 months down the drain! Oh well. At least now I know. I thought I had better share this with the forum in case anyone else is doing the same thing. We learn from each others successes and goof-ups!

Pierre42
09-16-2015, 05:27 PM
Probably every one but me knows this. My PCP just prescribed an antibiotic. Because I also take probiotics, she mentioned that I should not take them together. I should take them at least three hours apart. Evidently, a probiotic will cancel out the effects of the antibiotic.

Hmmmm....... I have been on a long-term antibiotic for at least 6 months. And you guessed it...I take the antibiotic and the probiotic at the same time with breakfast. Gah! 6 months down the drain! Oh well. At least now I know. I thought I had better share this with the forum in case anyone else is doing the same thing. We learn from each others successes and goof-ups!

Particle + Anti-Particle cancels each other out in a STUNNINGLY huge burst of energy. (puts an atomic bomb to shame)

I'm thinking it's a miracle you're still around to tell the tale!

Alysia
09-16-2015, 08:59 PM
Yes. I know that probiotics "cancell" antibiotics if taken together. Thanks for sharing. I cant bear probiotics.
Maybe this is why you still have infection ?

Joni
01-04-2016, 10:39 AM
I did not know this! Makes sense though...Thanks for sharing..

annekat
01-04-2016, 12:02 PM
Then why do they tell us to eat yogurt when taking antibiotics, to work against thrush, or yeast growth, in the mouth, and to alleviate some digestive problems such as diarrhea? I thought antibiotics killed off a lot of the normal bacteria in our systems and yogurt or kefir would replace some of them. Maybe it is a matter of concentration, as pure probiotics would have a lot more in them than the amount in yogurt. I've been taking Bactrim for years and do eat yogurt, but not for that reason, just because I eat it anyway. I don't take actual probiotics other than what is in the yogurt.

Birdie
01-04-2016, 12:58 PM
Then why do they tell us to eat yogurt when taking antibiotics, to work against thrush, or yeast growth, in the mouth, and to alleviate some digestive problems such as diarrhea? I thought antibiotics killed off a lot of the normal bacteria in our systems and yogurt or kefir would replace some of them. Maybe it is a matter of concentration, as pure probiotics would have a lot more in them than the amount in yogurt. I've been taking Bactrim for years and do eat yogurt, but not for that reason, just because I eat it anyway. I don't take actual probiotics other than what is in the yogurt.

Most antibiotics don't kill the flora and fauna in your colon, that's what probiotics and yogurt are suplementing. The antibiotics which kill the stuff in your colon are usually called "broad spectrum" antibiotics. In that case it's a great idea to take the probiotics at the same time, and for quite a while after. It can take a month or more of heavy probiotics to restore the damage done to your colon through the use of broad spectrum antibiotics.

annekat
01-04-2016, 01:24 PM
Most antibiotics don't kill the flora and fauna in your colon, that's what probiotics and yogurt are suplementing. The antibiotics which kill the stuff in your colon are usually called "broad spectrum" antibiotics. In that case it's a great idea to take the probiotics at the same time, and for quite a while after. It can take a month or more of heavy probiotics to restore the damage done to your colon through the use of broad spectrum antibiotics. Thanks, Birdie. I have taken broad spectrum antibiotics before and that's when I was told to eat yogurt, etc., and was prescribed that stuff to rinse your mouth with to kill thrush, when it develops in there. So we need to be distinguishing between what types of antibiotics we are talking about, as to whether we should be eating yogurt and taking antibiotics or not, apparently, according to what you say. I don't know what kind of "spectrum" Bactrim DS, 3X/wk is. But I know that I don't get thrush or have digestive issues and I do eat a moderate, but not huge, amount of yogurt.

Birdie
01-04-2016, 01:48 PM
Thanks, Birdie. I have taken broad spectrum antibiotics before and that's when I was told to eat yogurt, etc., and was prescribed that stuff to rinse your mouth with to kill thrush, when it develops in there. So we need to be distinguishing between what types of antibiotics we are talking about, as to whether we should be eating yogurt and taking antibiotics or not, apparently, according to what you say. I don't know what kind of "spectrum" Bactrim DS, 3X/wk is. But I know that I don't get thrush or have digestive issues and I do eat a moderate, but not huge, amount of yogurt.

Antibiotics or not, pill or yogurt, probiotics are a great idea for digestive health. Take both, flora and fauna. When it comes to yogurt I was told by the best colon doc that Activia is the only one he suggests. Claimed the rest have almost no probiotic benefit, followed by a long explanation of how they're made/processed/packaged/shipped/stored... etc... I got bored with that part.

annekat
01-04-2016, 02:02 PM
Antibiotics or not, pill or yogurt, probiotics are a great idea for digestive health. Take both, flora and fauna. When it comes to yogurt I was told by the best colon doc that Activia is the only one he suggests. Claimed the rest have almost no probiotic benefit, followed by a long explanation of how they're made/processed/packaged/shipped/stored... etc... I got bored with that part. The Googling I've been doing on this supports what you are saying, that it is OK and helpful to take probiotics along with antibiotics, or in general. Some of the results suggest timing the doses with a couple of hours in between, that is, not taking them at the same time. I'm not too worried about it but obviously there are some who are. Aha! I just re-read Jacquie's original post here and see that she was advised to take them both, just not at the same time of day, but to put at least 3 hours between them! So I should have read it better the first time. Sorry, Jacquie!

Birdie
01-05-2016, 05:17 AM
The Googling I've been doing on this supports what you are saying

It's a subject I've studied in depth, threat of a fecal transplant is a fantastic motivator.

debra
01-05-2016, 01:04 PM
Anne, and all. With yogurt you need to be careful of the sugar added, ect. Greek plain yogurt is best for this, then sweeten it with stevia, and use a sf syrup like davinci, comes in vanilla, chocolate, and tons more flavors. Invest in a good probiotic, vsl #3 is a good one, I posted something on, but very expensive, but worth it because ofthe strains of bacteria, and the 450 billion, live lactic acid bacteria. This is the mother of the probiotic world. You can get regular vsl, as well. Less expensive, less powerful. Powder form or capsules. A pharmacist will order for you, and keep it in the fridge... Also making or buying fermented cabbage, is another killer, probiotic... I did this for years, before getting sick. Also made my own kefir. You can find someone willing to mail you live grains, then you put them in milk, I like raw, then strain after twenty four hours. Then put the grains in fresh milk to rest. The grains start to grow... Alysia, incidentally, the vsl, is prescribed for ibs. The only one proven to realy help with this. Talk to you're doctor, you may even have coverage for it. Some plans, not mine, but some cover this..... Deb.

annekat
01-05-2016, 04:04 PM
Deb, i don't like stevia or any artificial sweeteners (which I realize it isn't).... and I just don't worry about a little sugar in my yogurt anymore than anywhere else. It would be like telling Birdie he couldn't eat Klondike bars because they have sugar in them. I don't eat a lot of sugar or honey, too much of anything sweet causes my WG symptoms to increase. I will go for any whole milk unsweetened yogurt, or nonfat Greek, as well as low fat, if that's what's available, and do end up with some sweetened ones. I just won't go for stevia or the artificials. It just doesn't taste right to me. So that's that. I have used priobiotics, though don't currently, and they were a standard brand that I felt OK about if not the most expensive. There are times when I absolutely cannot afford expensive stuff like what you are talking about. I do OK without it. I do believe that fermented veggies are very healthful, and there is a company selling them down at the Market who is doing pretty well. I just haven't gotten into a routine of buying them, but think I could, and would probably start with the sauerkraut, as it would be good on top of egg dishes, the kind of stuff I make, in sandwiches, etc. It is locally made each week and very freshly canned in glass jars. Plus they give out free samples and "brine shots". So my preference is to eat the healthier forms of food, but I'm just not a fanatic about it, and am not saying you are. I will allow myself little treats here and there. You have some great ideas, and I appreciate them. I have made yogurt before, in the old days, and making kefir sounds very interesting. XXOO

debra
01-05-2016, 04:22 PM
Anne, hello. Anne please let me be more clear here. The reason I posted this brand, and that its expensive, is because health insurance, covers it!! That's correct. It's ordered by you're doctor. Mine of coarse was not. It was however worth getting, and using towards deductions. So if you have normal health insurance, its just a win, win, right? And its broad strain, high count. Sugar, even fruit and indulging, hey I'm all for it, but I can't then complain about a skin fungal infection or something. Though this is the only issue I don't seem to have. Yet. Culturelle, is cheap, and fine also. Taking antibiotics and probiotics is fine, but should be seperated out as long as possible... Ann, this was just kinda like a hobby of mine... Not very exciting to most, but I loved making this stuff..... Me. Xo

annekat
01-05-2016, 04:35 PM
If I had a lot of time I'd enjoy doing those things, too, making my own healthy foods, etc. I don't have a doc that would prescribe me any kind of probiotic grains or whatever that is, they just wouldn't want to be bothered finding out anything about it. I would have to be in with a new PCP who had leaning toward those things. I think my old PA has moved, though she probably would have been interested, so I need to find a new one or a nurse practitioner or such. I don't know if having Original Medicare qualifies as "normal" insurance. It sounds like great stuff, but I don't have any particular issues right now and might first explore the fermented veggies at the Market. If those are a good experience, I might branch out into some of these other areas of probiotics and such. Not knocking anything you say, glad to hear about it, just am not ready to go out and plunge into a bunch of new dietary routines when I think I'm doing OK. You do a great service by bringing these things to people's attention. XOXO

debra
01-05-2016, 04:43 PM
Anne, hi.. Medicare, and part d plans coverit. A regular doctor prescribes ,,or nurse. It's covered by most, just not mine. I wanted others to know, cause why not take advantage of the fact it may be covered? The kefir grains, that's different. Making you're own pobiotics, I guess would be a hobby? Funny, because the kefir is sour, and I would give a little to Peanut, then watch carefully as he then would look up at me with this look, then shake his head a couple times, then sneeze.... So funny. Then he'd come back, to do it all over again.... Me! Xo Xo

annekat
01-05-2016, 07:05 PM
I will wait until I get an NP, PA, or GP and talk to them about it, maybe. My pulmy or ENT would draw a blank, I'm sure.

Natalie
04-17-2016, 06:45 AM
Antibiotics or not, pill or yogurt, probiotics are a great idea for digestive health. Take both, flora and fauna. When it comes to yogurt I was told by the best colon doc that Activia is the only one he suggests. Claimed the rest have almost no probiotic benefit, followed by a long explanation of how they're made/processed/packaged/shipped/stored... etc... I got bored with that part.

Hello Birdie , I haven't logged in for a long while just reading threw this post and thought i would put my two bobs worth in .. I was told that i shouldn't take the everyday probiotic as there is an ingredient in it that boost your immune system and works against what all our meds are trying to do . Cant remember the ingredient , but apparently you can get Probiotics at health food shops without this ingredient. all those bottles say" boost your Immune system today" ,Not thanks my Immune system is broken and shouldn't be rebooted :rolleyes1:

PANDASmomx2
05-01-2016, 05:28 PM
I didn't know that different probiotics are needed to treat different symptoms. My internal medicine Doctor directed me to consumer labs, where they explain what strains of probiotic are used with what to accomplish desired effect. Blew my mind that different stains have different affects on different parts of the body. It sounds so logical I don't know why I didn't know that before.