PDA

View Full Version : Flutter Valve

Brooke
12-19-2009, 09:46 AM
Does anybody use a flutter valve? It is a little plastic device that looks like a pipe that you blow into. There is a silver ball on the inside. When you blow into it, it vibrates your neck to help loosen "stuff" up. It helps me a little bit.
Does anybody cough up mucous/green flem junk from your chest? Not sure if that is something from asthma or wegener's or both.
For those of you that just have your sinuses and upper airway affected, how long did it take the methotrexate to start working? I have been on steroids for about 3 months and the methotrexate for almost 1 month. I am still wheezy in my upper chest. Like it doesn't feel like my lungs but deep in my chest.
I sound like I have smoked cigarretes all my life when I have my deep coughing attack.

elephant
12-19-2009, 10:11 AM
Do you have an infection? Green mucous stuff is a sign of infection. How long have you been coughing up this green stuff? Fever? Chills? My sister takes methotrexate and that worked pretty quick for her. Seems like the wegeners is active too. I am just guessing by your symptoms. :)

Brooke
12-19-2009, 01:41 PM
It comes and goes, sometimes it is green and sometimes it is clear or white-ish. I am on bactrim, wouldn't that help if it was an infection?

Sangye
12-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Brooke, I'm concerned that you're having a common reaction to the methotrexate, called lung infiltrates. I had that and it feels and sounds like pneumonia. It's actually an allergic reaction to mtx. You need a chest x-ray and probably a chest CT also. Lung infiltrates look like atypical (viral) pneumonia, so you can expect some confusion.

You may have a bacterial infection with or without infiltrates. Bactrim will not necessarily treat all infections--you need the right antibiotic.

Any of the possibilities are serious. Please see a doctor asap. I wouldn't wait until Monday. This would be reason for an ER visit.

elephant
12-20-2009, 12:09 AM
Brooke, I agree with Sangye. Your really need to go to the doctor today. Be persistant, don't let the doctors kick you out the door . If your not feeling right tell them, you know something is not right. Keep telling them that! From reading your post I know something is not right. Please Go! :)

Brooke
12-20-2009, 12:57 AM
I have had this before I started the methotrexate, so I dont' think it is a reaction to it. I have had it for years, coming and going.

Sangye
12-20-2009, 05:31 AM
So maybe it's an infection. But now you're on immune-suppressing drugs. So before maybe your body could contain it-- not overcome it completely (it was on/off) but keep the lid on it. Once you're on immune-suppressants your body loses the ability to contain infections. Even a small infection can turn deadly quite quickly.

I've only had one UTI in my life. I had a kidney stone last year and a few days afterwards developed sudden pain in my kidney and bladder. Within ONE HOUR it became a full-blown advanced kidney and bladder infection. Fortunately I had the right antibiotic on hand and started it. I also got pure cranberry juice and drank glass after glass. But I was amazed at how fast that infection took hold.

pberggren1
12-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Hi Brooke:

This flutter valve sounds interesting. I live up in Swift Current, Saskatchewan, Canada. Do you know where I might be able to get one?

Over and Out,
Phil of the north

Brooke
12-23-2009, 01:50 AM
Flutter Valve Mucus Clearance Device (http://www.healthylifepharmacy.com/product_info.php/products_id/1734)

here is a link to show what it is and shows a picture of one. I had my pulmonologist fax a script over to a medical supply store and I picked it up there. I would think you could order one online if you would like though.

Jack
12-23-2009, 10:17 PM
I bought a flutter valve and it did nothing for me at all except lighten my wallet.

As already mentioned, green mucus is a sign of infection. I have just had this in spite of taking bactrim and it went away within a few days of switching my antibiotic to amoxycillin.

jola57
12-27-2009, 10:09 PM
Jack is right, I am just getting over the cold and am coughing up a storm, its thick but nicely white. Anything green is a sign of infection do not walk but run to a doc for a heavy duty antibiotics.

Sangye
12-28-2009, 01:27 AM
I hope you feel better soon, Jolanta! Can your hubby cook you something healing? Cabbage soup?

coffeelover
12-28-2009, 06:46 AM
I think you gave me your cold Jolanta! I am just starting one. Slept all day and night yesterday and taking it very easy today. This is my first sickness since starting the mxt over a year ago....I am curious if it will take me longer to kick it due to the mxt and pred? Any answers out there?
coffeelover

elephant
12-28-2009, 08:33 AM
That is a good question coffeelover. I hardly get colds/flu. I would like to know this too.

Sangye
12-28-2009, 10:11 AM
It usually takes longer to kick any infection when you have a compromised immune system. Even if it's bacterial and you have the correct antibiotic for it, you still need an immune response to beat the infection. Even with a slow response, you should still see gradual, steady improvement. If you don't, you should see your doc! :)

elephant
12-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks Sangye for explaining that. ;)

coffeelover
12-30-2009, 10:35 AM
I am alreadyfeeling better. Thanks for your response
coffeelover still resting though....till tomorrow and the New Years Weekend. I am in the hospitality industry after all! Happy New Year to you all. A Symptom Free 2010 is what I wish for you all
Lisa Coffeelover

Sangye
12-30-2009, 01:35 PM
A Symptom Free 2010 is what I wish for you all
Lisa Coffeelover
I wish that for you, too.

jola57
12-30-2009, 04:26 PM
Hey Lisa sending some chicken soup, and no not made by my hubby Sangye, he has 2 left hands when it comes to the kitchen. I think it is on purpose so that he doesn't have to cook.
This is my first cold sine getting wegs 3 years ago and as far as colds go it was mild and fast. I did give it a bit of a boost to my immune system by taking a couple of doses of cipro. Now if I could get rid of the cough. It is still nicely white so no worries so far.

elephant
12-30-2009, 11:06 PM
Jolanta, glad your getting better.

Sangye
12-31-2009, 02:06 AM
I'm glad you're better, Jolanta. But that cipro thing-- not a good idea! Colds are viral, so an antibiotic can actually turn it into a lethal viral infection by wiping out the competition. And taking only a few antibiotic pills is enough to create superbugs.

I know you know all this-- you're an immunologist! Just thought I'd do my job and poke you in the ribs. :)

jola57
12-31-2009, 05:46 PM
Poke taken. This came from my physician hubby, there is a train of thought that if cought early a strong push of antibiotics in 2 doses can stave off bacterial infecition. viral will have a field day anyway. I never take more than 2 doses so not enough for a superbug.

Sangye
01-01-2010, 02:56 AM
I don't know where that idea about antibiotics came from. I've heard echoes of it from my own docs. I've asked what it's based on-- where are the studies-- and no one can provide. But we do know that microorganisms compete in a closed environment like the body and any imbalance creates/ worsens opportunistic infections. I once had viral pneumonia and was treated with antibiotics. The antibiotics wiped out the competition and the virus went wild within a day. (The pneumonia had been at a chronic level for 2-3 weeks) That was long before I had Wegs, so we treated it successfully with holistic measures.