PDA

View Full Version : Azathioprine

PETER36
07-22-2008, 07:34 AM
Hi

Have just finished my first course of Cyclophosphamide and have been told that I am to take Azathioprine daily for the next couple of years as long as blood tests confirm i can.
Is anyone else taking this and is the side effects as bad as the cyclophosphamide as I'm having a pretty rough time at the mo?

Look forward to hearing from you

Peter

andrew
07-23-2008, 05:17 AM
Azathioprine/Imuran is usually better tolerated than Cyclo. It's less aggressive and, I think, the most popular 'post-cyclo' drug. I've been taking it for three years without adverse affects. No hair loss, nausea etc.

Be aware that some people have reactions to it but it doesn't seem to be a common thing.

Carol
07-23-2008, 04:53 PM
My Doc has me on Somac(pantoprazole) to protect my gut from the medications - I take one a day in the morning with my one dose of prednisolone. Maybe that would help your nausea. I have had no problems that I can attribute to Imuran . I was offered anti depressants but declined - I do meditate regularly - fabulous help - see my intro and I decided that I would do a bit of counselling for the first time in my life.
Regards
Carol

Smithosity
08-13-2008, 08:05 AM
I have been taking daily Imuran for several years and find it to be no big deal at all. My only side effect is a lack of energy, but that's nothing a Red Bull and some push ups can't cure.

I honestly think I'll take Imuran everyday for the rest of my life -- and that is just fine with me.

Still, some have more side effects and it is really important to know your body.

To me, the best daily medicine is 8 hours of good sleep. Oh, and get yourself two pug dogs -- they are the best motivation in the world.

andrew
08-15-2008, 07:15 AM
To me, the best daily medicine is 8 hours of good sleep. Oh, and get yourself two pug dogs -- they are the best motivation in the world.

Ditto on the sleep, although I do best on about 6 hours, maybe 7. Wholeheartedly agree about dogs and pets in general. They are very therapeutic! I have a Mini Fox Terrier and two German Shepherds. They are great fun. The youngest (3.5 yo German Shepherd) brings out the 'inner puppy' in the other two. Makes for a good laugh when you're feeling down - and when you're not :D

Twice
08-17-2008, 08:26 PM
I was on Azathioprine for over ten years until my transplant in 2000. I loved it. No side effects and seemed to do a good job.

nordberg
04-04-2009, 02:27 AM
Glad to read positive reports on the drug. The info on the web and that came with the prescription is not very reassuring. Been prescribed 50 mg per day. Think I'll start at 25 and see how it goes for a while.